Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Pennyworth" on HBO Max. Halfway through the second season and we're both enjoying this "Origin Story" of Batman's Butler. Interesting take on Bruce's parents as well. Thomas Wayne has been taking a beating in some recent films and in this show. Not exactly of sterling character. Still it's a fun violent "alternative" take on the major players in the Batman universe.

Worf

Just finished the new Prime show...."10 PerCent"...the Brit remake of the smash hit from France..."Call My Agent". I could not stop myself comparing it to the original and it came up short each time. Identical characters, much the same story line and in my mind the French characters were perfect.....they defined the characters and the Brits were mere shadows of the originals. However in the 8th and final episode it seemed to find its legs. The characters developed some humanity, engendering some empathy from me and I fully enjoy episode 8. I am certain there will be a Season 2 and it will be interesting to see if my caring carries over. Stay tuned.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
Watched seasons 02 thru 07 of Bosch.

I don't own a TV, haven't in years. I long ago gave up and just considered television a steaming pile of dookee. Thus I'm not up on what the latest thing is and usually come to various shows late - or not at all. This thread has turned me on to several things worth watching.... thanks.

Bosch is something that almost redeems TV in general. Almost ;-) It's very well done, doesn't insult your intelligence and is well worth the time to watch it. That's pretty much all I'll say about it.

Also watched the first five episodes of the continuation show: Bosch Legacy. Slightly different feel to it. Maybe a tad below the standard of Bosch. So far anyway, in my opinion.

Mimi Rogers is a bit of a revelation, she's excellent in both of these shows.

the Chazometer sez: 4.7253 / 5 stars.... lol

Edward

Bartender
"Taboo" with Tom Hardy. Not sure what to make of it just yet....BUT Hardy in my books is always worth watching.

I enjoyed that when it was on. The mysticism appealed to me. Characters were well written; I particular enjoyed the sub-plots around the molly house, a really good exploration of something you don't see much depicted in mainstream entertainment from that era, and not done in an overly lurid or sensationalist way. Had hoped for a second season, but not sure we'll see it now that Hardy's star has risen high and he has plenty of work on elsewise.

"Pennyworth" on HBO Max. Halfway through the second season and we're both enjoying this "Origin Story" of Batman's Butler. Interesting take on Bruce's parents as well. Thomas Wayne has been taking a beating in some recent films and in this show. Not exactly of sterling character. Still it's a fun violent "alternative" take on the major players in the Batman universe.

Worf

This is one of the best shows that's been out in a very long time. I enjoyed everything about it. Would love to see it develop further over a long period of time. I'm especially keen to get more of an insight (perhaps a comic book might be the spin off this needs) into the alternative history of that world. Best as I can make out, it's a world where WW2 either didn't happen for Britain, or the Brits did a peace deal of sorts with the Nazis. Excellent stuff. Him living on Micklewhite Street is a really cute touch.

Just finished the new Prime show...."10 PerCent"...the Brit remake of the smash hit from France..."Call My Agent". I could not stop myself comparing it to the original and it came up short each time. Identical characters, much the same story line and in my mind the French characters were perfect.....they defined the characters and the Brits were mere shadows of the originals. However in the 8th and final episode it seemed to find its legs. The characters developed some humanity, engendering some empathy from me and I fully enjoy episode 8. I am certain there will be a Season 2 and it will be interesting to see if my caring carries over. Stay tuned.

I've held off watching the original for now, but I will eventually. I enjoyed this show very much. Does the French one similarly weave in known celebrities playing themselves (or a version thereof)?

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
Outer Range.

Someone mentioned it on this thread. Thanks. I DL'd the entire first season the other night and binge-watched until 4 a.m.

Whew! This show is "trippy." Ranching. Wyoming. Wide Open Spaces. Family Drama...... that's how I thought it was gonna go. But it slowly almost imperceptibly morphed into something else. All those elements are there - but almost without noticing it got weird, trippy, and strangely interesting. I watched all eight episodes in one sitting because I really wanted to see where it was going.

My only quibble is the music. They're trying to be too cute with it. I like it but it's a bit too much. I think dial back that and the show would actually hit harder.

Strange show. In a good way.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Outer Range.

Someone mentioned it on this thread. Thanks. I DL'd the entire first season the other night and binge-watched until 4 a.m.

Whew! This show is "trippy." Ranching. Wyoming. Wide Open Spaces. Family Drama...... that's how I thought it was gonna go. But it slowly almost imperceptibly morphed into something else. All those elements are there - but almost without noticing it got weird, trippy, and strangely interesting. I watched all eight episodes in one sitting because I really wanted to see where it was going.

My only quibble is the music. They're trying to be too cute with it. I like it but it's a bit too much. I think dial back that and the show would actually hit harder.

Strange show. In a good way.

Quite something, isn't it? I loved how they ended it: that could stand as it is, but there's also plenty of scope for another series. Hopefully there will be - I know I read that's the plan, but it's as yet unconfirmed. I have more hope for it because it's on Prime than I would Netflix, as the latter seem to relish cancelling really popular shows. I enjoyed Outer Range immensely. Sort of a David Lynch Lite type vibe, but not in a bad way. I enjoy that combination of the weird with a solid narrative. Lots of lovely plot points early on that suddenly loom large towards the end of the series, really nicely planted. The Two Big Reveals were both beautifully played out, and leave some great, big questions for next series. On a symbolic level, the links between the Old West and the present day are also fascinating - there's a lot of commentary in there on the American identity. I also see this theme in the clash between the big business family looking for oil or other natural minerals of value they can sell for mining, and Royal's clan and their very traditional rancher lifestyle. Very well done. I love too that it dares to move at a fairly slow pace, that's refreshing in contemporary TV.

I recently watched Life after Life on the BBC. Based on (and apparently very faithful to) a 2013 novel of the same name, it follows the life of a lady born in the early 1900s through the first half of the twentieth century. Several times she dies in various ways, and then loops back to the start of her life and it runs over again, with different paths followed. It's essentially a meditation on how different life choices and different happenstance can lead us down totally different paths with totally different consequences. The narrative is a bit... odd... in that there's no big pay-off punchline at the end in particular, but it's an interesting piece nonetheless. Nice in particular for the period settings - Edwardian Britain, the inter-war period, Weimar Germany, WW2 (and the fall of Nazi Germany, the desperation of ordinary people there), and even a little glimpse (just a very little; punk girls on Brighton beach) of the seventies in one scene.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
Quite something, isn't it? I loved how they ended it: that could stand as it is, but there's also plenty of scope for another series. Hopefully there will be - I know I read that's the plan, but it's as yet unconfirmed. I have more hope for it because it's on Prime than I would Netflix, as the latter seem to relish cancelling really popular shows. I enjoyed Outer Range immensely. Sort of a David Lynch Lite type vibe, but not in a bad way. I enjoy that combination of the weird with a solid narrative. Lots of lovely plot points early on that suddenly loom large towards the end of the series, really nicely planted. The Two Big Reveals were both beautifully played out, and leave some great, big questions for next series. On a symbolic level, the links between the Old West and the present day are also fascinating - there's a lot of commentary in there on the American identity. I also see this theme in the clash between the big business family looking for oil or other natural minerals of value they can sell for mining, and Royal's clan and their very traditional rancher lifestyle. Very well done. I love too that it dares to move at a fairly slow pace, that's refreshing in contemporary TV.

Lots of questions!
Yes, I did appreciate the pacing of it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Continuing with her penchant for watching ravagement, rape and pillage.... Puddin, after binging "The Last Kingdom" , is now watching "The Vikings" until the wee hours of the AM. I'm an ex-soldier and kinda rough around the edges and I just don't get her fascination with all the mayhem!!!! She gets sad when I kill a fly!!!!! Sigh... well I guess it takes all kinds I suppose.

Worf

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Continuing with her penchant for watching ravagement, rape and pillage.... Puddin, after binging "The Last Kingdom" , is now watching "The Vikings" until the wee hours of the AM. I'm an ex-soldier and kinda rough around the edges and I just don't get her fascination with all the mayhem!!!! She gets sad when I kill a fly!!!!! Sigh... well I guess it takes all kinds I suppose.

Worf
LOVE bith series. I was thrilled Bernard Cornwell's books were finally brought tk the screen. Ended up saddened when they rushed the ending, likely the cost of production.

I still need to finish Vikings myself. Canadian-Irish co-production, and I hope to own the series. Have 1 and 2 on BD.

Have you seen it to the end?
Yes, I love Tom Hardy's work but thought the supernatural element was a distraction from what could have been a compelling straight forward narrative. It was definitely set up for a Season 2 and apparently the cast & writer are still committed. Covid got in the way and perhaps now that Buckley is a major star scheduling could be a bitch. Not sure if we will watch a second season.....depends on what else is running.

Watching a new Prime offering..."Responders". A contemporary Brit cop show. Martin Freeman stars and it is a stellar/masterclass acting performance. I have new found respect for him as an actor. He has chops whereas before I viewed him as a bit of a light weight. No more....he delivers a top grade performance. Still 2 episodes to watch so hope the writing/plot holds up.....so far it is compelling TV

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Watched the first two episodes of the Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+. Well-produced and enjoyable. Looks like real money was spent on the production.

It's Kenobi's life while monitoring the progress of Luke Skywalker, waiting until he's ready for Jedi training. Meanwhile, Kenobi is in deep undercover, not using his marvelous Force powers. Which means he can't break cover and rescue people the way a Jedi Knight would.

With Kenobi we observe Luke from afar, but the child version of Princess Leia is front and center for a lot of the story. A trio of bad people, The Inquisitors, show up to hunt down any Jedi left alive, in compliance with Order 66. Stay tuned...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Re-binging Prehistoric Planet on AppleTV for the second time this weekend. It's a truly amazing series, and I hope we get more seasons exploring other time periods!

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
"Taboo" with Tom Hardy. Not sure what to make of it just yet....BUT Hardy in my books is always worth watching.
Watched all eight episodes the other night. Yeah, anything with Tom Hardy is worth a look in my book. Don't know why, he's just an actor whose work I enjoy. Again, another series you guys clued me into that I had not heard of before. Thanks.

First thing, I LOVED the teeth. Dirty, yellow, missing, silver, black, etc. Dirt, filth, grime, dirty shirts.... some great attention to period detail.

Was distressed to see Franka Potente looking so rough though, I've had a crush on her since I saw her in one of those Bourne movies. Well, she is playing a 'madam' who runs a whorehouse, so I hope it's just make-up for 'period verisimilitude,' lol - to make her look bad.

Another actor whose work I appreciate is the guy that played Atticus. Saw him in Greyhound, the Tom Hanks movie, as the XO of the ship. And Empire (the Steve Buscemi series) as a young Al Capone. He's always solid in anything he does.

I'll leave the "Taboo" aspect alone.
The Supernatural stuff, meh, didn't bother me. Was kinda hoping for more backstory about Delaney's time in Africa, i.e. the native that rescues him and his time amongst them, etc.

I think it has / had? a lot potential for more than only one season. But it's been a few years so who knows, probably wont happen.

Chazometer sez: 4.2975 out 5 stars.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ