Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What were you doing December 31, 1999 at 11:59 PM?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Elaina said:
Sicker then a dog and covered in baby goop at that precise time. Son and I both had penumonia and he was very coliky.

Bartender Note: This post is an escapee from "Most Romantic Gesture" thread.
lol lol

Kim_B

Practically Family
I was celebrating my 18th birthday which is on the 1st. My aunt always calls to sing happy birthday at midnight :)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Fireworks

I had gone with my family to a party. We walked down from our friends house to an empty field on a hill so we had a view of the Reno skyline. We just stood out in the cold and watched the fireworks. I am sure I cried a bit.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
At 11:59 PM I was walking out my back door naked with a shotgun and model 29. At midnight I emptied the shotgun up towards the sky and the model 29 down into the ground. I was back inside before 12:01 trying to get warm and listening to my wife fuss at me.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Sefton said:
I was with my wife and about a thousand other people standing in the cold air waiting outside of a temple in Nara (near Kyoto) Japan. At midnight they open the doors and let the people walk through as monks ring a big bell and you can look at a giant golden Buddha.
I was in a queue of a neighborhood shrine in Tokyo, waiting for the line to start moving the moment the date and year changed. This is called "nine mairi" --two year worship--because you leave home for worship while the year is old, and come back when the year is new. One of our traditional New Year customs.

Sefton, which temple did you go to? Todaiji? Toshodaiji? Horyuji? Must have been beautiful and ethereal, or was it just too crowded and got pushed around?
The bells of Buddhist temples are rang 108 times to purge people of the 108 worldly passions that are considered evil in Buddhism.

Haversack

One Too Many
I had been sicker than a dog with a 104 degree temperature since the second day after Christmas. The 31st was the first day I could get up and move about. As midnight approached, I bundled up and with my now wife we walked a few blocks up the hill to watch the fireworks out over the bay. There were about a dozen and a half people at that intersection all watching and with a bit of trepidation, wondering. Afterwards, my wife and I noted that for the first time in out memory, Highway 101 at Hospital Curve was devoid of cars.

Haversack.

Tedium

New in Town
I was sitting in my office with most of my IT staff confidently waiting for the clock to roll over. We had spent the previous 18 months upgrading and documenting EVERYTHING and there wasn't a single hitch. There WAS, however, champagne.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I was watching TV with my friend, Victoria. We watched the ball drop in Times Square, watched monster fireworks most of the night. I have a video of the best fireworks around the world for that night.

I had left work earlier that day and was able to say to my coworkers, for the first and only time in my life, "see you next year, see you next decade, see you next century, holy cow, see you next millenium!!"

karol

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
There are only 108? ;)

Yup. At least, worthy for a cleansing.:p
Now, you have to keep in mind, Buddhism goes back 25 centuries, so I imagine the worldly passions of these times were far less complicated than ours.lollollol
(Please don't ask me for the details, it so happens I'm not a Buddhist but a Christian so I don't know enough to elaborate.;) )

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I haven't given up revelry, but every New Year's Eve, the prices of revelry double or triple. And of course it's amateur night on the roads. There are 364 other nights of the year to live it up. I prefer to use some of those.

Shade

New in Town
At friends' house I believe...that's too long ago to remember! For me anyway...I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast! :eek:

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i was at my pals, mothers house watching television. people were jumping off light poles in vegas. I wished i was there.
these days im glad to stay away :p

chippler

New in Town
I was meant to be partying with mates but had to spend it with my extended family. I ended up spending it in the middle of an oval, in a small town. It was cold, damp and the live bands were rubbish. I didn't know anyone there (apart from my cousins) so it was very strange.

The worst thing was a family friend of my auntie was trying to set me up with his ugly daughter. A God awful night.

- Chris

matei

One Too Many
My wife and I were living in NY at the time, right next to Queens. We decided to venture out of our apartment to have a look around in case the world came to an end.

I was supposed to be on-call for my employer (I was the Network Admin) in case the dreaded 2k bug decided to bite. I explained to my boss that our puny network issues could wait until the next working day, and if that Y2K was indeed as serious as everyone thought it would be - a few crashed PCs or missed backups would be the least of our worries.

Good thing I didn't have to go in... I.T. and alcohol don't mix!

I do remember it was very foggy, which was odd for that time of year. At first we thought it might be smoke, that western civilisation might be coming to an end... but no - just fog.

I think we were fast asleep by 2:00 or so. Y2K? Ho hum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW