Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Would You Change (about yourself) for Your Vintage Wear?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, gee, let's see. I tend to be extremely self-critical about such things, so...

1. Smaller feet, definitely. I'm a 9 1/2 B now, and I wouldn't mind knocking a few sizes off that.

2. Thinner waist. Never used to be a problem till middle-age-spread set in. (Sigh...)

3. About an inch or two shorter -- I'm 5' 6" now, but I always seem to be just a bit too tall when I find a pair of vintage pants I otherwise like!

4. Definitely with Lauren on the rather-not-have-to-wear-glasses/contacts thing.

5. Smaller head! All the vintage hats I find are 21s and 22s, and here I am a 23....

maisie

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
3. About an inch or two shorter -- I'm 5' 6" now, but I always seem to be just a bit too tall when I find a pair of vintage pants I otherwise like!

I'm 5'11", so it is impossible to get original pants to fit me, i alsway find though they are only about an inch too short!!:rage:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
carpecaligo said:
I'm pretty happy with myself, but It can't hurt to dream so:
Ideally, a bigger bust, but without some other curves too, i'd topple over.
Just once in my life, I'd like to be called voluptous, not twiggy.
ditto on that one! Most vintage dresses I've tried on really pushes the hour-glass figure...being a little twiggy myself, there's some room to fill in there!

JoyfulGirl

New in Town
carpecaligo said:
I'm pretty happy with myself, but It can't hurt to dream so:
Ideally, a bigger bust, but without some other curves too, i'd topple over.
Just once in my life, I'd like to be called voluptous, not twiggy.

Yes! I second (or perhaps third that) that. And I'll add on hair that will hold a curl for longer than an hour without heavy styling products along with no need for glasses/contacts.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
For me: I'll keep my 5.5 narrow feet,my bust line,and my "Lucy" coppery-red hair.
I would love a narrower waistline and to lengthen my short torso as well. (Although,I've found that most modern pants made for the natural waistline sit just a bit higher on me,so I can fake the 40s high-waisted look)
I'd love to have hair that looks like Rita Hayworth's.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smaller feet, smaller breasts.

Before you kill me, I'm a 34DD, which is more than a girl needs. 34C would be just fine with me. Then I might be able to wear buttoned dresses and blouses without safety pins!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
maisie said:
I'm 5'11", so it is impossible to get original pants to fit me, i alsway find though they are only about an inch too short!!:rage:

I'm 5' 10" so I know what you mean. However, I love being tall and wouldn't change it. I wish that more clothing makers, past and present, would consider us tall gals!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have been pretty silent in this thread, not because I think I am perfect, but because I've wasted too much time in my life focusing on what I thought was "wrong" with my looks. So, for me, what I would like to change is all the time I spent looking at wasn't "right" instead of accepting and working with what I have. I always look better when I feel comfortable in my own skin.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Smaller feet, smaller breasts.

Before you kill me, I'm a 34DD, which is more than a girl needs. 34C would be just fine with me. Then I might be able to wear buttoned dresses and blouses without safety pins!
lol perfect! we'll trade!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well I'm one of the "lucky" girls because I have very small feet! I wear a 5 or a 6.

I'd go for a smaller chest. So many of the cute vintage tops and dresses just won't button!

maisie

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
I'm 5' 10" so I know what you mean. However, I love being tall and wouldn't change it. I wish that more clothing makers, past and present, would consider us tall gals!

I have been lucky and found a few suits that must have been made for a tall lady as the skirts come past mid calf length!!
I wouldn't change how tall I am, as i think taller people can carry off the 40's fashions so well!!:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
PrettySquareGal said:
I have been pretty silent in this thread, not because I think I am perfect, but because I've wasted too much time in my life focusing on what I thought was "wrong" with my looks. So, for me, what I would like to change is all the time I spent looking at wasn't "right" instead of accepting and working with what I have. I always look better when I feel comfortable in my own skin.

Very well said. I've been trying all my life to get to the point where I can do that, and am at least getting better about it now than I used to be. Still a ways to go, but maybe by the time I'm fifty I'll get there.

(I really really really do wish I had smaller feet, though....)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I'd love to have smaller feet, I see so many TINY WEENY shoes at vintage fairs that have hardly been worn.
I wish someone would invent a foot "diet" where you could slim your feet and make them shorter at the same time.
Not only that but I've just gone up a bra size which really hasn't helped at all! buttons are starting to strain.!!lol lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
I'd love to have smaller feet, I see so many TINY WEENY shoes at vintage fairs that have hardly been worn.
I wish someone would invent a foot "diet" where you could slim your feet and make them shorter at the same time.
Not only that but I've just gone up a bra size which really hasn't helped at all! buttons are starting to strain.!!lol lol

Oddly enough...I have recently lost weight (20 pounds or so...so far) and my feet shrank.....pretty much at least a half size but closer to a whole size..

One would not think that losing weight would affect the feet quite that fast, but it does.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
well that's one way to have smaller feet! :) It does make sense though, I've heard that the first 10-15 pounds is usually water weight

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Oddly enough...I have recently lost weight (20 pounds or so...so far) and my feet shrank.....pretty much at least a half size but closer to a whole size..

One would not think that losing weight would affect the feet quite that fast, but it does.

That's quite remarkable, you lucky thing! Maybe you should come to the UK and snap up all the little shoes we seem to have here!!!!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
That's quite remarkable, you lucky thing! Maybe you should come to the UK and snap up all the little shoes we seem to have here!!!!

oh most unfortunatly it still has me with feet bigger then the tiny shoes, but it does mean that the narrowness of vintage isnt -quite- as problematic as before.....

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
During pregnancy my friend's feet went up a half size and stayed that way. She was a 6.5 so could fit into all those fabulous vintage shoes but now she's a 7! Makes her very grumpy. As a 9.5 I have no sympathy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner