Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you guess the most popular bash is?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I tend to slope it on the right side of my face, which is the left in the picture and snap it a little down in front. Feel free to post a pic for me for reference.

Now, my Akubra Stylemaster is going to be a 2.5" brim (vs 2" on the Saxon). Will that dictate a different bash or how do you decide?

Brim width doesn't effect crease shape to me. My face tends to look better with a tight pinch & long side dents but doesn't look right with a brim less than 2 5/8. I like a good swoop in the front, thus getting tagged with Dep Swoopy handle.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a Dobbs with very similar, if not those exact proportions.

I wet the crown and squeezed a tight pinch into the front, and then tried a teardrop, a diamond, and its original center dent.

If you think the sides of your hat are too tapered (I do, based on your photos), then try the teadrop and/or diamond for a while. Of course, the tight front pinch is also completely optional. Thats just my preference for most of my fedoras, as well as some westerns.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I suspect that you are probably going to be just fine with the Stylemaster's standard factory bash, a teardrop with smallish front dents. It's a well-proportioned, classic hat.

The only change I made to mine was to lengthen the front dents so that they go all the way down to the ribbon - and it was a non-event, not even requiring wetting the felt to get it to hold. I just pushed the dents in a bit more, and they stayed that way! (I suppose I am also adding a bit more swoop to the snap brim gradually, just in daily handling.)

There's no need to over-think bashing and customizing on a well preshaped hat like the Stylemaster - unless you really want to!

memphislawyer said:
I tend to slope it on the right side of my face, which is the left in the picture and snap it a little down in front. Feel free to post a pic for me for reference.

Now, my Akubra Stylemaster is going to be a 2.5" brim (vs 2" on the Saxon). Will that dictate a different bash or how do you decide?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
to memphis lawyer

given the dimensions of the hat, you probably can't change much..if you do open the crown up and rebash it..you could try and put a center dent in it, while pushing the sides out to maintain a wider crown, then give it very light front/side dents see how that works out...otherwise i'd let it alone.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
cybergentleman said:
given the dimensions of the hat, you probably can't change much..if you do open the crown up and rebash it..you could try and put a center dent in it, while pushing the sides out to maintain a wider crown, then give it very light front/side dents see how that works out...otherwise i'd let it alone.

As I said earlier, my hat was just like the one in question. Here's what it looks like now, with the original center dent. The tight and elongated pinch changed the look almost completely. Just something to ponder.

meindobbs090109.jpg

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
looks good

without handling it in person, id say the way youv'e worked the front looks good.

what if you tugged the front brim down a tad to give it more swoop?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
memphislawyer said:

I'm with the good Doctor on this. I don't think you'll need to reshape the Stylemaster. It's a nice style & well-shaped. I had to put my mid-brown on the stretcher, which has resulted in a slightly sharper point in the front, and the front brim has slowly swooped a little more, just from daily handling. With that said, I think it'll hold up to a reshaping just fine, if you decide to do that.

How do you decide? Look in the mirror. Ask your wife.

Edit: Yeah, getting the Akubra for comparison before reshaping the Stetson does sound like a good plan.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I personally like hats which are shipped with a centre dent and loose front pinch. Not because I like it but because it can very easily be altered to tighten and/or lengthen the pinches and the centre dent can be easily be turned into a teardrop, a diamond or a teardrop-diamond combination which I am fond of (also what Bogart has).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner