Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you serve as the best local food?

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Atticus, when visiting my wife's family in Austin and thereabouts, I had a similar discovery of brisket, sliced thin with no sauce and served only with saltines and Shiner. I must admit, that, at least for a time, it made me forget my personal favorite of ribs. My experience with Carolina style makes me see it as an acceptable alternative for occasional eating, but I need real sauce for my day to day needs.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
JennyLou said:
Sounds mouth watering, but what is chess pie?

My husband's favorite chess pie recipe:

Luby's Buttermilk Chess Pie

Chess pie is a Southern classic. It was originally created as a dessert for times when the cellar was bare and no fruits were in season. Today, it's considered a seasonless sensation.

1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 extra-large eggs
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
1 unbaked 9" pie shell

Heat oven to 375°F.

In large bowl, combine sugar, butter, and flour. Mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add buttermilk, vanilla and salt. Mix just until blended. Do not overmix. Pour into pie shells.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Do not overbake.

(I also make it as a filling for puff pastry, and it is delish!)

Foofoogal

Banned
sorry but a notable person in the know took me supposedly to the best BBQ place in Memphis years ago.
I couldn't even believe it. Talk about a letdown. :D
Texas has real BBQ. It is close to a religion in Texas. They also seem to know what real sausage is. Something Arkansas desperately needs to learn. Sorry again. I do love AR. They just don't have or know real sausage. For a hint: It is supposed to have meat in it and not just cereal.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
when National Geographic searches the entire nation for the best bar-be-que, regional bias isn't as much of a factor...
Regionalism minus chauvinism equals, well, not much of anything.

I hate listening to people swagger, and I know beyond doubt that there's more than one kind of good 'que, but I don't know that I'd want that kind of subtle analytic thinking from the folks that cook it.

See, I think there must be something about true belief that adds flavor - that certain old, smoky, well-set in one's ways tang that comes only from pure ornery cussedness. The kind that has you using the same pit for 35 years, or always getting your spices from one old man with a secret blend, and not knowing what you'll do when he goes, and not even daring think about it. The kind that can't or wouldn't ever try to compare, because there is nothing TO compare - you know there's ONE real thing and nothing else.

I know that when I go to a generalist BBQ joint, like Virgil's or Brother Jimmy's, that does several different styles, that's what's missing. Everything's very good, but nothing's great.

Regional food may actually be more meaningful - and taste better - when it's a religion than when it's merely a style. Eclectic taste may be a luxury only the eater can afford to entertain - it may be death to the purveyor.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GallatinHatMan said:
I see, as usual, I have no choice but to correct the State with regard to the facts ...

:D :D :D Dang, just when I was ready to jump all over Atticus Finch with both feet about his comments about "that stuff" they make down east, you had to chime in and insult North Carolina. Even though those eastern folks don't even acknowledge that life exist west of I-77, still I'm bound by tradition to take up for old NC. You must remember, why Tennessee became a state - NC gave it up because we didn't want it! :D :D :D

Seriously, I love ALL barbeque. Each regional variety has it's distinct flavors, and the good natured battering back and fourth between the supporters of each style adds to the "flavor".

Now, are we ready to fight over red slaw vs white slaw? :eek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Subvet642 said:
Or perhaps, some real New England clam chowder (Not that red stuff that some people call clam chowder *yucky* ).
g258258bcc38860e9ab0f4f6d4d614cf6a9ccfc3e04ece0.jpg

You can tell just by looking at it that thats real NECC! Yuuuummm.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yep. The 'que discussion needs to go to another thread. You know, come to think of it, I might not even serve bar-be-que to a foriegn friend. There's just too much else to choose from here in Eastern Ca'lina.

I think that in the early spring, when the dogwoods first begin to bloom white in the edges of our grey woods, I'd serve my friends deep-fried herring and fresh-made slaw. We'd fry our fish down by the banks of a slow, dark, tannin-stained river and we'd eat while we listened to the soft breeze in the cypress trees and the chirp of the season's first frogs...

In mid-summer, I'd serve dolphin, fresh caught from the edges of the Gulf Stream. I'd grill it with lemon sauce and I'd serve it with a fresh cucumber salad and silver queen corn on the cobb, lightly boiled and smothered with butter...

In the fall, we'd eat broiled mullet, fried sweet potatoes and a fresh garden salad. We'd eat out on the patio beneath a Carolina blue sky, and we'd listen to the radio as the Tarheels fought their Saturday afternoon rumble over in Kenan Statium...

In the dark of winter, we'd eat steamed oysters by the basket full. We'd eat them out in the back yard, bundled in old field jackets and gloves. We'd eat them with crackers and hot butter. We'd wash them down with straight bourbon and ice-cold beer....

And we'd think of the first fried herring of spring....

AF

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Atticus Finch said:
Yep. The 'que discussion needs to go to another thread. You know, come to think of it, I might not even serve bar-be-que to a foriegn friend. There's just too much else to choose from here in Eastern Ca'lina.

I think that in the early spring, when the dogwoods first begin to bloom white in the edges of our grey woods, I'd serve my friends deep-fried herring and fresh-made slaw. We'd fry our fish down by the banks of a slow, dark, tannin-stained river and we'd eat while we listened to the soft breeze in the cypress trees and the chirp of the season's first frogs...

In mid-summer, I'd serve dolphin, fresh caught from the edges of the Gulf Stream. I'd grill it with lemon sauce and I'd serve it with a fresh cucumber salad and silver queen corn on the cobb, lightly boiled and smothered with butter...

In the fall, we'd eat broiled mullet, fried sweet potatoes and a fresh garden salad. We'd eat out on the patio beneath a Carolina blue sky, and we'd listen to the radio as the Tarheels fought their Saturday afternoon rumble over in Kenan Statium...

In the dark of winter, we'd eat steamed oysters by the basket full. We'd eat them out in the back yard, bundled in old field jackets and gloves. We'd eat them with crackers and hot butter. We'd wash them down with straight bourbon and ice-cold beer....

And we'd think of the first fried herring of spring....

AF

Sir, that was absolutely poetic. :eusa_clap When I was a kid, I (very briefly) had a job at the local farm stand, picking corn. They sold silver queen and it was so good, the others would eat it right off of the stalk, for lunch, and it wasn't long before I did, too. :essen: I've been back there, and the farmer, God love him, is still alive and farming, but he doesn't grow silver queen anymore. No one else has even heard of it around here, nevermind sell it.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Subvet642 said:
Sir, that was absolutely poetic. :eusa_clap When I was a kid, I (very briefly) had a job at the local farm stand, picking corn. They sold silver queen and it was so good, the others would eat it right off of the stalk, for lunch, and it wasn't long before I did, too. :essen: I've been back there, and the farmer, God love him, is still alive and farming, but he doesn't grow silver queen anymore. No one else has even heard of it around here, nevermind sell it.

And, SubVet...you've continued in the same vein, and closer to "us" I presume. I've only been briefly in Ca'lina...and Atticus wouldn't want to know what uniform I was wearing at the time...but, for all that (the worst possible thing to be in the South: an honest-to-Gawd Yankee, in full CW Massachusetts uniform...I was never treated anywhere in the South but with gentility, from all sorts and conditions. This is an experience I respect, am awed by, and have as one of my fondest memories of the South.

I do so hope that someday I'll be able to return to our Southern states, preferably in bird season, and sample the sport, food, hospitality, and gentility that is so different from what we know here in BeanTown.

Atticus: I hope you know of this resource for the native food of your neck of the woods: if, by any chance you do not....from the obvious delight and love with which you speak of low-country food...I think you'll be glad to know of them. Lovely folks, doing a wonderful thing. Makes me wish I was a Suthn'r, suh...and even fo' a Yankee...the flour makes wonderful bread!

http://www.ansonmills.com/about-us-page.htm

"Skeet"

Subvet642

A-List Customer
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]And, SubVet...you've continued in the same vein, and closer to "us" I presume. I've only been briefly in Ca'lina...and Atticus wouldn't want to know what uniform I was wearing at the time...but, for all that (the worst possible thing to be in the South: an honest-to-Gawd Yankee, in full CW Massachusetts uniform...I was never treated anywhere in the South but with gentility, from all sorts and conditions. This is an experience I respect, am awed by, and have as one of my fondest memories of the South.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind words, but I'm not sure what you mean "closer to us". I was born in Winchester and raised in Billerica, Mass. That's where the farm stand is: Griggs Farm on 3A. Every farm stand, produce dept. etc. I try, no one has ever heard of Silver Queen corn.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Subvet642 said:
Thank you for the kind words, but I'm not sure what you mean "closer to us". I was born in Winchester and raised in Billerica, Mass. That's where the farm stand is: Griggs Farm on 3A...

Well...that's what I meant....while I couldn't be certain your farm stand experience was in Massachusetts...I know you are (as am I)...so I thought it was a good bet. I guess I'll be looking for Silver Queen myself, now...

And, it looks like it isn't (or wasn't) an entirely New-England thing:
http://www.phillipsfarmproduce.com/silverq.htm

So....maybe we'd better plant our own:
http://www.burpee.com/product/id/101849.do

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner