Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you serve as the best local food?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A buffalo cheeseburger, fries and watermelon! (The cheeseburger was invented in Denver.)

There's a new restaurant in Denver, Tocabe, that serves Native American inspired food. There's also The Fort, which serves wild game from this region. Click here for photos of the food:
http://www.thefort.com/Menu.htm

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
As the story goes:

Louis Ballast applied to the Colorado Secretary of State on March 5, 1935, for the trademark name "cheeseburger," which he claimed to have invented at his Humpty Dumpty Barrel Drive In, on Speer Blvd. The Humpty Dumpty opened for business in 1930, and was Denver's first Drive-in restaurant.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Several other places around the country claim to have invented it, too, and they're even earlier. But still, it's a nice local legend.:)

Now, in Pueblo, there are two places that claim to have invented the Slopper, which is something I would serve to out of state visitors. That's a cheeseburger smothered in green chile.

I'm sure there are some places in northern New Mexico that might claim to have invented it, too, but it's definitely a Pueblo tradition.

Brad

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I'd serve a Fisherman's Platter from one of our thousands of "clam shacks".

3459230948_f7351f7ddc.jpg

Or, I'd serve Boston Baked Beans (my own home made), franks and brown bread (B&M, of course).

dscn02701239755460.jpg

Or perhaps, some real New England clam chowder (Not that red stuff that some people call clam chowder *yucky* ).
g258258bcc38860e9ab0f4f6d4d614cf6a9ccfc3e04ece0.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GallatinHatMan said:
Carolina has barbeque? Real barbeque? (Ducking and running)

In NC we have two distinct kinds of BBQ - Eastern and REAL (i.e. Western). :D

If I want to serve something unique that has local historical significance, it would have to be some good mountain "shine". Livermush is also something that I think is somewhat regional to my area. I know we had some "foreigners" from Utah here once that had never heard of livermush (but liked it once I convinced them to taste it).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
I'd suggest the salmon-bake at Tillicum Village if you want "genuine Northwest"--you don't get more "original" than Native, right?--but wouldn't be going myself due to lack of non-seafood fare available.

I'm originally from Eastern WA and yes, salmon would be the way to go. Real smoked salmon, not lox. Or salmon cooked over a fire on a plank. But Washington also has a huge amount of local produce that is exported all over the world. What's the most unique of those, that's NOT exported? HUCKLEBERRIES. And I'd get apples. Fresh ones, from a road-side fruit stand.

Chas said:
BC Oysters.
Wild caught Spring Salmon (known to others as Chinook). NEVER FARMED. If somebody ever serves you farmed fish, they need educating. If it ain't this color, don't eat it. Bad for you, bad for the environment.

No kidding! People out here don't seem to understand why I won't touch East Coast salmon. It's all farm-raised (EW), fattier, and with a high mercury content. YUCK.

--
Living in the Boston area, we'd go out for a twin lobstah dinner!

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Tennessee is also famous for its barbeque. The Memphis style favors dry rubs over sauce. Myself, I tend more toward the Kansas City style with tomato based, as opposed to vinegar based sauces. I have a large Texas style smoker (My wife is from Austin) and make several styles of sauces depending upon application. I love sweet/hot sauces and vary the sweetener between molasses, natural cane brown sugar, honey, guava and peaches.

Here though, in middle Tennessee, Country Ham, biscuits, fried corn, fried apples and untaxed liquor are all considered local delicacies.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
What is Clam Showder?
It's kind of hard to tell from the picture[huh]
It is a cream based soup/stew with clams, potatoes, sometimes onions, sometimes corn...well you get the picture. I like it with a pat of butter, a few grinds of black pepper, a dash of Tobasco and oyster crackers. :essen:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
In NC we have two distinct kinds of BBQ - Eastern and REAL (i.e. Western).

Big Man, I know that retirement has probably fogged your perspective about some things, but let me respectfully disagree with you about what is real bar-be-que. Here's something I wrote on another thread:

Barbeque is deeply rooted in...North Carolina culture. Many historians agree that...Europeans first tasted pit-cooked pig here almost two centuries before our county was even founded. And we've been cooking "Q" pretty much non-stop ever since. I'm thinkin' that four-hundred years and millions of pit-cooked pigs later, we've...got the proper recipe down-pat.

And that recipe dang sure doesn't include choped up tomatoes or tomato ketchup.

In nineteen-seventy nine, National Geographic Magazine conducted a study to determine the location of best barbeque in America. Mr. Pete Jones' Skylight Inn, in Adyen, was proclaimed the clear winner. And Ol' Pete (God rest his soul) served only hard-core, vinegar-and-pepper, Eastern North Carolina style barbeque. Let me tell you folks, National Geographic was right. Pete's is the best in the nation.

AF

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
I see, as usual, I have no choice but to correct the State with regard to the facts. I cannot remember the last time a Carolina Style rib or pulled pork won Memphis in May, the premier barbeque competition in the world. While I am sure my learned colleague means well, vinegar and pepper is NOT a proper barbeque sauce. I try not to talk bad about our eastern neighbors addiction to such condiments as a "sauce," but alas, here I have no choice. After the crude methods of barbeque there, as civilized people moved west to the vast new territory of Tennessee, they perfected barbeque. I live in a former county of North Carolina, now one of the first counties of Middle Tennessee, where sauce is a work of art.

I invite my learned colleague to visit and I shall be happy to introduce him to real barbeque.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
GallatinHatMan said:
I see, as usual, I have no choice but to correct the State with regard to the facts. I cannot remember the last time a Carolina Style rib or pulled pork won Memphis in May, the premier barbeque competition in the world. While I am sure my learned colleague means well, vinegar and pepper is NOT a proper barbeque sauce. I try not to talk bad about our eastern neighbors addiction to such condiments as a "sauce," but alas, here I have no choice. After the crude methods of barbeque there, as civilized people moved west to the vast new territory of Tennessee, they perfected barbeque. I live in a former county of North Carolina, now one of the first counties of Middle Tennessee, where sauce is a work of art.

I invite my learned colleague to visit and I shall be happy to introduce him to real barbeque.

From the same post as my quote above....

...I'm not saying that other regions don't serve up good barbeque. They do. I've tried most of them and I've yet to find a real barbeque house that I didn't like at least a little bit. Heck, once, when I was in Memphis, I ate some beef burnt ends that nearly made me forget about North Carolina pig.

This being said, one would expect Tennessee bar-be-que to win a bar-be-que cooking contest held in Memphis. Likewise, I can't remember Memphis style bar-be-que ever winning much in the contests held around here. But when National Geographic searches the entire nation for the best bar-be-que, regional bias isn't as much of a factor...

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner