Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a (ladies) Forties "B" hat or "Blastin Betty"?

colleency

One of the Regulars
I apologize for posting this in the powder room, as well as here, but I thought I better widen my search.

I'm trying to sign up for classes at Costume College, and one of the classes is:

Forties "B" Hat! or "Blastin Betty!"
This class will explore the simple cap construction of the "B" hat. This hat was used in a variety of ways from suite to society wear. All sorts of accents from feathers to jewlry give it a versatile look. Krimp, coil, fold, looping, and drape techniques will be discussed.

I'm interested, but I really can't visualize what this looks like. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

magneto

Practically Family
Now you've got me interested, google didn't turn up a thing! My university library has some excellent older books on women's hats including at least one specific to the 40s, I'll have a peep at them when I'm on campus tomorrow to see if they have any info. I must say, some of the oddest, jaw-dropping hats I've seen have been 40s hats....

magneto

Practically Family
Unfortunately I didn't find it in any of the books I looked at today (Fairchild's Dictionary of Fashion, Fashion in the Forties, and a bunch of millerery books (including a great 50s one called Restyle Your Hats...but it looks like someone on the other thread found it...

decodoll

Practically Family
I have a couple of 1940's millinery books that list styles of hats, but neither one listed this one. Who is the teacher, by the way? I'm taking a bonnet covering workshop on Sunday, and I noticed that the teacher for it is also a teacher at Costume College.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24