What's a wind trolley?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by STHill, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've had them on a few hats. I would rely on one as an only defence, but it does give one a bit of reaction time, and, as others have said, it looks a lot less silly than running down the road after a precious hat - especially if it blows into the path of traffic.... I like how the even look, as a feature - I wish Hats Direct did a pimped-out version of the Fed IV with matchnig contrast ribbon and brim binding, with a trolley.... givven those sorts of additional options, I'm not sure I'd ever need to buy a different model fedora again.

I have to admit, I got a cracking chuckle at the idea of anyone in these parts worrying about being or looking "outdated".

My Biltmore by Miller.com - my first furfelt hat, way back in 2007, has an elastic cord. I think it's Canadian? My Akubra Campdraft (Aussie, obvs), a Euro hat (I suspect a rebranded Tonak) and a couple of US vintage items all had regular string. IMO, the elastic does do a better job.

2. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Outdated - Sheesh!

To each their own conclusion. Trolley's work for me.

[​IMG]

Ross Young, MarkStar, Tonio and 10 others like this.
  3. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Picked up this sweet find in need of some love.....a bit rough but good soft felt and in good shape really...a Stephen L Stetson from the 40's.....with a broken trolley.......
    M

Attached Files:

Ross Young, scottyrocks and Redfokker like this.
  4. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Haha LOOKING good! Yes to the trolley....they work!

5. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I dont.

6. Highlander

Highlander A-List Customer

There was a great thread here, and I can't find it to save my soul. But it was about the top button hole on the left lapel of your jacket being for the "button from your hat" so you could button your hat to your coat on windy days.

I just saw someone bring this up in another forum the other day. There was a photo of two of the hat with the button and the cord wrapped around it, but there were NO photos of a hat actually buttoned to a coat.

Just thought surely those here would have more knowledge and photos.

Thanks,

7. samtemporary

samtemporary One of the Regulars

I have on vintage fedora with a wind cord, and actually used it once (in Chicago). Simply unwound the cord and buttoned it in my jacket lapel.

I have seen illustrations of the hat buttoned to a lapel, as well as a button hole in the back of a jacket/shirt collar.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

8. RJR

RJR

Here's a pic of a wind trolley on an Akubra.
    Hat-Akubra-SBCD  Deluxe.JPG

9. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Yes, it is, and I reply to your 3 year old post because I know you're still here. :)

I have, by my best reckoning, maybe 3 vintage hats with wind trolleys. I've never used them, but I love the way they look on fedoras.

When I know the weather will be inclement enough to be concerned about the hat on my head, I most often wear one of my Fed IVs instead of a vintage hat. My brown Fed IV, in particular, fits so perfectly, and the brim gives way so easily, that I don't worry about it in either rain or wind.

I've been out in blowing snowstorms, usually to shovel out a car or two, in that hat. The brim just gives way to the wind, and never do I get that feeling that the hat is going to leave my head. And if it ever were to, it's by no means irreplaceable, so I don't worry about it.

But if I happened to be wearing a hat with a wind trolley and the wind kicked up enough that I was concerned that the hat would blow off my head, I would certainly use the wind trolley for its intended purpose.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Any of my shirts with a hole in that position has always had a button to go into that hole, so I don't know how a trolley button would fit.

If I wasn't wearing a jacket or coat with lapel button hole, I would fasten the trolley loop/button to an upper button hole on the front of my shirt.

Héctor Fernández and M Hatman like this.
  11. Dotneck

Dotneck Familiar Face

I have a vintage Panizza Foulard that went down the street when the wind kicked up. That's when I realized the utility of the wind trolley.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

M Hatman likes this.
  12. VintageHunter

VintageHunter New in Town

Hello , please let me know what ist the thin String on the Crown side by Side with the Ribbon. What ist the Use of it?! I hope on you

1967Cougar390 and deadlyhandsome like this.

13. It’s a wind trolley also called a wind cord. It’s meant to attach to your lapel so your hat doesn’t blow away. Not many of us use them, but they are a nice touch.

1967Cougar390 and belfastboy like this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Having used one in anger, I can confirm that it does look a bit odd to modern eyes, but it's a darn sight more dignified than have to run into the road after your hat when it's blown off...

15. VintageHunter

VintageHunter New in Town

Ok thank you i have cut it off at my two Campdraft , i have ordered a new Campdraft in Bluegrass and i it came i test it!

deadlyhandsome likes this.