Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats everyones opinion on 100%wool fedora's?

MCrider

A-List Customer
To me the one benefit of wool is its low entry price for someone who's not sure if they'll like wearing fedora's. Plus there are some chain stores that carry them so you get an idea of what you like by trying it on. So don't be afraid of trying a wool. It's a good first step. Next up if you stick with it will be some vintage from ebay. Then onward to more expensive factory hats and eventually a custom or two. But what others say is true - one you see the difference, you'll never buy another one. Good hunting!

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
I've got a few wool hats that I bought back when I was trying to decide what shape I liked, and wanted a range of inexpensive hats. I still wear them as often as I wear my fur felt hats. People kept telling me to buy vintage hats instead. I discovered that before 1965 there were apparently only about 3 people on the planet with heads bigger than 6 7/8. ( I'm a 7 3/8) Yes, fur felt is nicer in pretty much every way. Folks around here feel that wool hats look cheap and odd, but you don't run into these folks very often out in the real world. There is not a person living within 300 miles of me that can tell a vintage Whippet from a newspaper hat. I do not consider the money I spent on wool hats wasted at all. They allowed me to have something to wear while I was waiting to find a deal on a nicer hat. If not for my wool hats my interest might have died out while I was searching for what most around here consider a "real" hat that I could afford. And that would have been a tragedy.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I've got a few wool hats that I bought back when I was trying to decide what shape I liked, and wanted a range of inexpensive hats. I still wear them as often as I wear my fur felt hats. People kept telling me to buy vintage hats instead. I discovered that before 1965 there were apparently only about 3 people on the planet with heads bigger than 6 7/8. ( I'm a 7 3/8) Yes, fur felt is nicer in pretty much every way. Folks around here feel that wool hats look cheap and odd, but you don't run into these folks very often out in the real world. There is not a person living within 300 miles of me that can tell a vintage Whippet from a newspaper hat. I do not consider the money I spent on wool hats wasted at all. They allowed me to have something to wear while I was waiting to find a deal on a nicer hat. If not for my wool hats my interest might have died out while I was searching for what most around here consider a "real" hat that I could afford. And that would have been a tragedy.
Well said!

A

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me a woolie was a gateway drug!! It helped me find a style I liked, like Lotsahats said it got my interest in hats going and kept it there until I started finding felt hats that quickly replaced the wool hat. They are great tools to help you find your style without going broke.

christmaseve003-1.jpg

Hi Folks

I am wearing a Dobbs Wool Homburg. I have all fur fedoras but wanted to try a Homburg so the cheap wool was for experiment purposes.
It is not so bad can I tell the difference between a wool and Fur sure. Fur is better. However wool is a good starter.
Anyway, headed out to celebrate Christmas with my beautiful Daughter.
Best regards and Merry Christmas.
CCJ

Last edited:
Hi All

The wool dobbs homburg is actually decent for the price I paid. $40.00 US. However it is difficult to shape or crease and feels rather stiff.
I also have a Dobbs homburg made of fur felt it is much softer and is more flexible. However A homburg weather wool or fur can only be worn a certain way. Its not like you will change the homburg into a fedora.
I will post both Dobbs homburgs side by side for your viewing interest a bit later. The wool and the fur.
Best regards and Merry Christmas.
CCJ

Last edited:

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
My first decent hats years ago were wool. They also shrank like crazy, became misshapen in very light rain, and are no longer in my collection. They were also modern hats, so consider your variables.

hatsHERE001.jpg

<br>
hatsHERE002.jpg

Hi Folks

The Black homburg Dobbs is wool. The Green Dobbs American is fur felt.
My first Homburg's. Both were $40.00 and I feel both are worth the price. I think they both look fine and the average joe could never tell the difference.
I only wear a homburg occasionally and someday I will purchase a true vintage. For now I am happy with both hats.
Best regards and Happy Holidays.
CCJ

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I dug out an old wool hat I bought years ago, a Dobbs. I could immediately tell the difference between it and my felt hats, but then, I've been wearing felt for a while now. At the time, I had no idea. Still, wool is a fine place for a variety of reasons.

Aaron

Hi Aaron

I think a wool hat/fedora is a decent starter hat for a person on the fence about wearing a hat. They can get into the game on the cheap.

I was forunate that when I started thinking about wearing a fedora, I found this board and I decided I was going to make my first hat a decent hat. Hence I purchased a beige cavanagh with cav brim in great condition for $80.00 on etsy. Had I had not found this board nor if I was not propertly funded I may of purchased a cheap wool hat and maybe my fondness for hats would of faded due to purchasing a lesser quality hat, however if I had not found this board and purchased a less quality wool hat and receive some compliments etc, I probably would of never known that there are some super felt hats around to be had. So I would of thought that my wool hat was the best.
Of my current 26 hats only one is wool(pictured above in another post) I only purchased the wool homburg because I needed to see how I would look in a homburg hence the cheap $40.00 Dobbs.
I think I can pull off the Homburg look just fine. So I intend to add some nicer better quality(vintage) to my collection real soon.
It sure is fun learning and looking but more fun finding and wearing.
TIA
Best regards
CCJ

I dug out an old wool hat I bought years ago, a Dobbs. I could immediately tell the difference between it and my felt hats, but then, I've been wearing felt for a while now. At the time, I had no idea. Still, wool is a fine place for a variety of reasons.

Aaron

Hi Aaron
If you get a chance I would like to see a pic of that older wool Dobbs just for some comparisons etc.
Appreciate it.
Best regards
CCJ

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
When I first started wearing hats, I allowed a salesman to talk me into three wool hats for a combined price that was equal to one fur felt hat. The wool hats were $50.00 each, so a total of $150.00. I figured that I was saving money by getting a variety of colors for the same dollars. I quickly found that I had not saved any money by purchasing cheap quantity versus select quality. I simply wasted $150.00!! I paid for the wisdom to never purchase another wool fedora again.

I won't even accept a wool hat as a gift now that I have experienced the difference. The next time I am in New York, I plan to visit that hat shop to let them know they lost a customer for life by steering me toward the woolies. I advise everybody now to go on ebay and purchase an older vintage hat, even if they aren't sure about wearing them. You will spend the same dollars on an older hat that you would spend on a new wool hat, and you will be much better off. If you don't like the hat, you can always re-sell it.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Hi Aaron
If you get a chance I would like to see a pic of that older wool Dobbs just for some comparisons etc.
Appreciate it.
Best regards
CCJ
I've got to play with the light some. A black wool hat, given my lack of skill, is hard to get a good shot of. It's funny how thick and unyielding the hat feels.

A

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
th_zpsddca06fc.jpg
[/IMG]
I've got a Bailey western that I both like and hate. I like the overall look. It's an olive green color, with a "Gus" bash. It even has a wire in the brim so as to shape it to one's liking, fold down ear flaps that stow away inside when not used, and a leather string to prevent losing it to sudden gusts of wind. Would be a great cold weather hat when riding on the range punching cows or whatever. Not very expensive either, I think it was around 60 bucks.
The part I hate though is the itchy and scratchy part. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The fur is definitely nicer and generally will be a better hat. However, my cheap wool ones are my ones for daily wear precisely because they are cheap and one has actually been stepped on and survived! Think of the wool ones as a work pick up truck and the fur as the luxury sedan with heated leather seats. Both have their places.

slc

Familiar Face
The first hats I bought were wool. I went for the cheaper hats at the men's clothing store because I just wanted to try them out. The wool hats were cheaper than the others, but they were not cheap: about $90 for a Stetson Lodi. Then I found the Fedora Lounge and learned about fur felts, and then about custom made hats.

Even though I have bought several custom-made hats, my walnut-brown wool felt Lodi is still a favorite and I pamper that hat. I only wear it in perfect weather conditions where it will not get wet from the least bit of rain or sweat. I've not seen another hat the same shade since I found it. Other Stetson hats in walnut are much darker than this one. I don't understand how the color can be so different.

So some wool hats have a place in my wardrobe. I think you have to be very careful with them if you want them to last a long time.

When I first started wearing hats, I allowed a salesman to talk me into three wool hats for a combined price that was equal to one fur felt hat. The wool hats were $50.00 each, so a total of $150.00. I figured that I was saving money by getting a variety of colors for the same dollars. I quickly found that I had not saved any money by purchasing cheap quantity versus select quality. I simply wasted $150.00!! I paid for the wisdom to never purchase another wool fedora again.

I won't even accept a wool hat as a gift now that I have experienced the difference. The next time I am in New York, I plan to visit that hat shop to let them know they lost a customer for life by steering me toward the woolies. I advise everybody now to go on ebay and purchase an older vintage hat, even if they aren't sure about wearing them. You will spend the same dollars on an older hat that you would spend on a new wool hat, and you will be much better off. If you don't like the hat, you can always re-sell it.

When you waste money on something and then have to buy again but then get the good stuff is called:

Good money after bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner