Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Quick opinion on Kreosote boots.

livioli

Familiar Face
Hey gang,

So I just ordered a pair of Kresote 7 boots. It's slightly more formal than a semi-dress boot. The waiting time is 42 months!!

Gabbard said that he could make the boots in brown teacore if I wanted to. However, I'm wondering if it's better to get them pigment back so it doesn't fade. This way, I can dress em up with a suit for more formal events.

What do you guys think? The leather is veg-tanned Wickett and Craig btw. Since they're not dress-boot leather, I feel like they'll age and form creases regardless, thus making them inappropriate for formal events ... I dunno.

https://www.kreosote.com/product-page/kreosote-7

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 4.26.32 am.png

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 4.32.13 am.png

livioli

Familiar Face
these will look goofy with a suit

42 months is insane. think about your taste 4 years ago...do you want the same things now?
Fair.

Good question, I’m not sure if my taste will stay the same. But these are the most classic, timeless design and colour I can think of. I think it’s safe, no?

cbez

One Too Many
If you just threw it in an index fund you'd likely have $2500 by the time you actually get the boots assuming there are no delays (which are common in shops backed up 4 years).

You could pay half that for some very very nice boots and get to use them another 4 years of your life.

cbez

One Too Many
These pairs each cost around 15-20% of yours and were at my door in days.

That being said, if you have f u money, the patience of a saint, really appreciate us craftsmanship, and want to support a small maker, by all means go ahead. At that price I would strongly be looking at role club, unsung house, or ostmo though.
1000018877.jpg
1000016887.jpg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
It seems to me that you should order a pair of Kreosote boots only if you REALY know very very clearly and deeply EXACTYLY what you want and are a huge fan of Kreosote.
And if you're picking some of his more unique models that you won't get anywhere else. This model is not one of them (apart from the back heel counter shape I guess).
But hey - if you have the cash and the patience - eventually you're gonna have an absolutely incredible pair of boots, no doubt about that. Report back here in 4+ years!

Kreosote is the only maker I personally would pay a full price for & only lace-up boots I would wear.. Stupid wait time but the boots are worth it.

If needed for formal occasions as well, I'd get them black. Kreosote boots consistently look good and expensive, regardless of how much wear you kick into them.

livioli

Familiar Face
If you just threw it in an index fund you'd likely have $2500 by the time you actually get the boots assuming there are no delays (which are common in shops backed up 4 years).

You could pay half that for some very very nice boots and get to use them another 4 years of your life.
You’re 100% right with the index fund. This is just extra money that I can burn basically.

livioli

Familiar Face
It seems to me that you should order a pair of Kreosote boots only if you REALY know very very clearly and deeply EXACTYLY what you want and are a huge fan of Kreosote.
And if you're picking some of his more unique models that you won't get anywhere else. This model is not one of them (apart from the back heel counter shape I guess).
But hey - if you have the cash and the patience - eventually you're gonna have an absolutely incredible pair of boots, no doubt about that. Report back here in 4+ years!
Haha I just need to not think about it for these 4 years I suppose. Will update this thread then.

livioli

Familiar Face
Kreosote is the only maker I personally would pay a full price for & only lace-up boots I would wear.. Stupid wait time but the boots are worth it.

If needed for formal occasions as well, I'd get them black. Kreosote boots consistently look good and expensive, regardless of how much wear you kick into them.
Can u say more?

Surely when it gets all beaten up, it’ll no longer be appropriate with a suit. Considering it’s veg tanned and won’t stay new-looking for long.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I don’t think you need a “quick opinion.”
Let’s think about this for 3 years.

kidding.

what % deposit is he asking for?

Edward

Bartender
Interesting boots. I like the look of them. They would pair well with a suit - but only the *right* suit. Specifically, something in a late teens / into the early 20s style (think: first couple of series of Peaky Blinders). Very common back then for working men to wear boots like these with a suit. (Not least because it would have been their only footwear at any one time - and likely their only 'good' suit too.) In a pinch, these would work well with something like one of the Darcy Clothing 'workwear' suits.

In leather terms, if you ever want to wear them in a 'dressier' style, then I would suggest plain black. I'm not a particular fan of teacore (it always felt to me like trying to rush-replicate the look of a jacket or a pair of boots that had been hard-abused for decades, rather than something more period-realistic - ymmv) anyhow, but as a practical matter, a pair of plain black boots will be much easier to match into a smarter outfit than something that mixes black and brown. Looked after ( polished regularly in particular), there's no reason these couldn't stay tidy looking for a long time, as opposed to fashionably abused.

As to wait time, much like price, only you can decide whether they are worth it to you. I can't imagine paying up front and waiting that long for almost anything shy of the kind of house I'll never be able to afford in the locations I'd want it. Plenty of other folks wait a long time for things they passionately would love to have, and for which there is no substitute. Some folks have waited as long for a Goodwear A2, others up to eight years at one time for a new Morgan sportscar. I have a friend who is now many years in to a long wait to be able to become a member at Lords cricket ground. Only you can know if you'll still want it by that point. That's the aspect that wouldn't give me any pause for concern: my own clothing tastes are now in the main decades old, particularly footwear.

The one thing I would be wary of - if I've picked this up correctly - is that kind of wait after paying out the full cost upfront. It's a long time pre-production to be out that amount. I'd at least want to be clear before deciding anything on that score what the cancellation policy was, and the extent of any non-returnable deposit element of the price.

livioli

Familiar Face
Interesting boots. I like the look of them. They would pair well with a suit - but only the *right* suit. Specifically, something in a late teens / into the early 20s style (think: first couple of series of Peaky Blinders). Very common back then for working men to wear boots like these with a suit. (Not least because it would have been their only footwear at any one time - and likely their only 'good' suit too.) In a pinch, these would work well with something like one of the Darcy Clothing 'workwear' suits.

In leather terms, if you ever want to wear them in a 'dressier' style, then I would suggest plain black. I'm not a particular fan of teacore (it always felt to me like trying to rush-replicate the look of a jacket or a pair of boots that had been hard-abused for decades, rather than something more period-realistic - ymmv) anyhow, but as a practical matter, a pair of plain black boots will be much easier to match into a smarter outfit than something that mixes black and brown. Looked after ( polished regularly in particular), there's no reason these couldn't stay tidy looking for a long time, as opposed to fashionably abused.

As to wait time, much like price, only you can decide whether they are worth it to you. I can't imagine paying up front and waiting that long for almost anything shy of the kind of house I'll never be able to afford in the locations I'd want it. Plenty of other folks wait a long time for things they passionately would love to have, and for which there is no substitute. Some folks have waited as long for a Goodwear A2, others up to eight years at one time for a new Morgan sportscar. I have a friend who is now many years in to a long wait to be able to become a member at Lords cricket ground. Only you can know if you'll still want it by that point. That's the aspect that wouldn't give me any pause for concern: my own clothing tastes are now in the main decades old, particularly footwear.

The one thing I would be wary of - if I've picked this up correctly - is that kind of wait after paying out the full cost upfront. It's a long time pre-production to be out that amount. I'd at least want to be clear before deciding anything on that score what the cancellation policy was, and the extent of any non-returnable deposit element of the price.
Thanks, Edward for the lengthy response. He accepts refunds, as he doesn't start making the boots until 42 months later. He will also regularly check in with me regarding my weight changes, injuries etc. I have a long time to decide on what I want.

You mentioned the right suit. I'm thinking of a classic single-breasted black suit?

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Edward for the lengthy response. He accepts refunds, as he doesn't start making the boots until 42 months later. He will also regularly check in with me regarding my weight changes, injuries etc. I have a long time to decide on what I want.

You mentioned the right suit. I'm thinking of a classic single-breasted black suit, classic fit?

Three-piece, black or grey, early deacdes 20th century - something 2024 style wouldn't look quite right imo. This sort of *slightly* slimmer, Edwardian vibe -

1707401130815.png

(Slimmer than 30s/40s, not modern 'skinny'.)

Something like these options from Darcy:

https://www.darcyclothing.com/apps/bundles/bundle/24438
https://www.darcyclothing.com/apps/bundles/bundle/24248
https://www.darcyclothing.com/apps/bundles/bundle/24441
https://www.darcyclothing.com/apps/bundles/bundle/24439

The History Bunker have some very nice looking, melton wool options - though I can't personally swear by these as I've not handled them.

https://thehistorybunker.co.uk/Peak...it-Arthur-Shelby-suit-Peaky-Blinders-overcoat

Brandrea33

One Too Many
They are great looking boots no doubt. I wanted to order a pair and had a nice visit conversation with Gabard.

In the end, I just couldn’t get my head around the 3 year wait list. I wonder what would happen to your money if something (god forbid) happened to him or his business. As I understand it he is a one man operation.

Last edited:

livioli

Familiar Face
They are great looking boots no doubt. I wanted to order a pair and had a nice visit conversation with Gabard.

In the end, I just couldn’t get my head around the 3 year wait list. I wonder what would happen to your money if something (god forbid) happened to him or his business. As I understand it he is a one man operation.
Oh, don't remind me. I wondered about that too. Seemed inappropriate to ask Gabbard "What happens to my money if you ..." lol.

All I have is faith I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner