Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Your DVR?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
This proves that I have way too much time on my hands, and that I'm avoiding chores around the house, but what vintage movies or shows with vintage oriented content, do you have on your DVR? (The argument can be made that this is a waste of perfectly good bandwidth, and I would be hard-pressed to deny it...)

Waiting to be watched, from most recent to oldest, are

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Thing From Another World
The Broadway Melody
Fury (just watched today)
Doctor X
Lawrence of Arabia
55 Days at Peking
The Road to Hong Kong
Road to Bali
Road to Utopia
Road to Morocco
Road to Zanzibar
Road to Singapore (finished this morning)
Vera Cruz
Thoroughbreds Don't Cry
Easter Parade

I also have the Brian Setzer Christmas Concert, from about a year ago, which can be justified as vintage re: big band jump Christmas music.

Television shows that deal with vintage subjects or stories, such as the occasional BBC shows set in the classic era, could be included.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
The Blue Dahlia (1946)
The Fuller Brush Man (1948)
Whistling in the Dark (1941)
Whistling in Dixie (1942)
Whistling in Brooklyn (1943)
The World at War (1973) documentary

And lots of Mythbusters episodes.

DivineDecadence

New in Town
8 1/2 (1963)
Coquette (1929)
Queen Christina (1933)
Duck Soup (1933)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
A Star Is Born (1937)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)
Personal Property (1937)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
Bonjour tristesse (1958)

I know, I can't believe I haven't seen some of these classics yet either. My list of "Films To See" is just too long. *sigh* shakeshead

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Rock Around the Clock--- Bill Haley and the Comets 1956
Reveille with Beverly --- Ann Miller 1943
Carolina Blues --- Kay Kaiser 1944
Jam Session ---Ann Miller 1944

I did have some of the Frankie and Annette stuff but that made way for some better movies.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just discovered that I have on my DVR...

only the second half of the Doctor Who episode from last night--where did the first half go?! :mad:

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Hmm....well, I recorded The Magnificent Ambersons on my trusty VCR Saturday night! lol

:eek:fftopic: Are DVRs a separate device you have to purchase, like tivo? Or is it a service you have to subscribe to from your cable company? And can you then burn the movies to a dvd?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Gingerella72 said:
Hmm....well, I recorded The Magnificent Ambersons on my trusty VCR Saturday night! lol

:eek:fftopic: Are DVRs a separate device you have to purchase, like tivo? Or is it a service you have to subscribe to from your cable company? And can you then burn the movies to a dvd?

The DVR I own is part of the Directv box; it's HD. Most cable companies and satellite companes offer them now. Tivo I don't know much about.

I used to use RePlay, but that sits out in the garage.

Contact your cable or satellite provider for their DVR services. Once you've tasted DVR you can never go back...

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
- True Blood (season 3)
- Merlin
- Strange (one episode)
- Poltergeist: The Legacy (one episode, has a favorite actor in it)
- Blade Runner
- Ghost Whisperer

Will soon be filling it up with:
- Warehouse 13
- White Collar
- The Gates (possibly)

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
George Washington Slept Here (1942)
Government Girl (1943)
Two O'Clock Courage (1945)
Two episodes of "Cops" - dd's favorite show

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Road movies are watched and gone, along with 55 Days at Peking. Added Queen Bee (1955) with Joan Crawford. Looked at just the start, and Mrs. Hood, who does not like "classics," was actually interested in watching Ms. Crawford manipulate, humiliate, and destroy those around her.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Star Trek: The Next Generation, and lots of it. I do record the occasional film though, usually they're from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s decades, some 1970s films like Chinatown and The Godfather as well.

I recorded The Long, Long Trailer and watched it today. That, my friends, is a funny, funny movie.

I've actually recorded this as well, but I've yet to watch it. I'm looking forward to seeing it, as I'm a fan of the I Love Lucy show as well (unusual for a guy my age, but I sort of grew up watching it in the 90s).

EDIT: I had just finished watching it. It was great, just how I remembered it over ten years ago, and better so. As the humor of the film lies in the huge trailer, I could sort of relate, due to the family owning an RV (similar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL