Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What's That Ungodly Stink?" - French Cheese Surprises

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The other day, the grocery store suddenly had a very large selection of interesting imported cheeses.
We love to have some cheese as a snack with a cocktail before dinner, so I poked around and tried to pick a likely looking candidate. There was no sampling, and many I had never tried or read of.

Ah! A French Morbier. Looks interesting and worth a try. $7 for the wedge, into the cart.
Morbier_cheese_two_views.jpg
After getting home and unloading, I brought out the new cheese for us to try and sat it on a plate while I mixed up a couple of sidecars. My wife opened the package.

And the dogs came running from the living room, sniffing the air furiously.

That cheese smelled, well, like a cholera victim had tumbled half digested out of a decomposing shark's belly. (How's THAT for imagery?) An awful rotted, sour smell!

Of course, I tried a bite -courage! - with a big glass of lemon water at the ready. No one else was so brave... the bulldogs fled.

Not as bad as the stench. A bit nutty, certainly creamy. Not bad! But we couldn't get past the horrid fog of death that filled the house so out it went, triple bagged.

What are your favorite, offbeat cheeses? (not the maggoty Italian one, please)

Morbier, from Wiki.
("some may find the odor somewhat objectionable.") :)

farnham54

A-List Customer
A stiff stilton or a bitey blue (nice alliteration, eh?)--That to me is a standard bit of food to always have on hand. My girlfriend and I buy Stilton in multi-pound blocks.

Cheers
Craig

Scott, I am sending you my shrink's bill, when I know how much it'll cost to treat the psychiatric trauma of your little visual...

I'm not real exotic on cheeses yet, my big vice is the longest-aged Cheddars I can find. (Anyone have any recommendations in this area at 3 years or longer?)

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I like my Bree so ripe that when you cut into the round it just collapses, smells like sock that have been worn for a week straight. lol . Bob.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
I compare the nose of Morbier to the unwashed feet of a beautiful woman. :whistling
(Pardon mon fran?ßais.)

That's putting it succinctly!

Bleu is about as exotic as I allow my chesses to go. I especially love bleu cheese dressing on my salad. I love cheese, really, but my kidneys tend to occasionaly rebel in an extremely painful manner.

Lee

"The cheese, Gromit! We forgot the cheese!" - Wallace

Nashoba

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Digestives are biscuits! Biscuits are cookies!

wow. learn something new every day.

I love Baked Brie. I also like a good goat cheese. And I love fresh mozzerella and a good sharp cheddar and gorgonzola. Nothing that smells too terribly bad though.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
About the most exotic cheese I've ever had was a salivation-inducing slab of Parmiggiano Regiano that mother brought from Italy several years ago. The bonus Samsonite-induced aging gave it a decidedly unholy aroma... but it was good!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Blue is the best and Stilton the King of them all to my tastebuds.

Nothing like a good hunk of Stilton, some water crackers, and sharp tasting pears and apples :essen:

EDIT: and BT, how about Hob Nobs digestives (not with cheese though)!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Morbier - Isn't that French for "something died"?
But seriously, folks. I love Stilton. I make a mean Stiltonburger, on a whole wheat bun, with a huge slab of really ripe tomato on it, and a large splash of Peter Luger Steak Sauce.
When I was a kid my mom and her best friend spent the summer of 1958 reading Dr Zhivago to each other, while eating Liederkrantz cheese and onions. You could tell they were at it from down the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails