Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Banjo wearing?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Hi all,
I posted this photo of Banjo Paterson on an Akubra thread (dealing with their hat of the same name) recently.

This is something of a signature hat for Banjo and appears in many photos of him, including the one on the Aussie $10 note. What do you think it is?

Looks like a rebashed Homburg to me - and I like it!

banjo-paterson-profile.jpg

And here's another:

banjo_paterson.jpg

And the Banjo as a senior Citizen - still a snappy dresser.

Banjo%20Patterson1_11494875_tcm11-17561.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'll defer to Dinerman's expertise in any case, but...two very different hats here.

The hat sported by the younger Mr. P might pre-date homburgs per se - anyone know when they originated? Definitely has a narrower ribbon, and I don't think the upturn on the brim edge is as extreme or sharp all around. What might be achieved by the owner or a haberdasher with a bit of steam and skilled fingers. I've done similar. He's rolled the sides. The crown is definitely lower.

The older Mr. P wears a hat with a wider ribbon, taller crown and seemingly more brim edge upturn all around - more homburgerish. Flatter brim apart from the edge.

Some things are certain - the guy had good taste in hats and liked bound edges. Neither are terribly like the Akubra of that name, fine hat that it is.

Thanks for posting these pics Mr. Tutt!

Now, anyone hazard a guess on the make of his pipe?

- Bill

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I was thinking that the younger Banjo was sporting a rebashed homburger, but you may be right Bill, the pic may predate the homburger. The earlier pics were probably taken around the 1890s (Paterson lived from 1864-1941).

If I remember rightly, the homburg became popular after King Edward VII returned from his visit to Homburg, Germany and brought the hat style with him. I'm guessing this was in the 1901-1910 period. Perhaps the Banjo was a trend setter in the colonies. I reckon this is a hat that Akubra needs to make. I'd buy one! Call it the "Young Banjo".

Gotta love the collar on the young Banjo too.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
If I remember rightly, the homburg became popular after King Edward VII returned from his visit to Homburg, Germany and brought the hat style with him. I'm guessing this was in the 1901-1910 period. Perhaps the Banjo was a trend setter in the colonies. I reckon this is a hat that Akubra needs to make. I'd buy one! Call it the "Young Banjo".

Gotta love the collar on the young Banjo too.

Great info Ephraim! Didn't know that. Now this has me thinking about the generally excellent Jeremy Brett personification of Mr. Sherlock Holmes, vs the woodcuts and engravings in the earliest stories, and thinking maybe they'd have been better off paying more attention to hats and anachronisms...not just the homburg, but also the narrow snap-brim straw and the Optimo Panama I saw recently in "The Adventure of the Naval Treaty" (story collection dated 1894). The latter might just possibly have conceivable if the fad began with the French attempt...

I'm with you on the "Young Banjo" concept. Keep the Heritage felt and I'm there. Re the collar, wingtips weren't just for formal then! Think it might have been one of those button-in things. Didn't have to wash shirts so often.

- Bill

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The younger Banjo pictures remind me of the hats in the HBO series Deadwood,

I wondered how accurate those were for the time...
When exactly did the Homburg originate?
Obviously before Edward VII's visit...

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Billy and Woodrow Wilson

Billy Hughes had a running battle with US President Woodrow Wilson who described the Aussie leader as "A pestiferous varmint."

I think Woodrow pinched Billy's hat:

fs_woodrowWilson.jpg

woodrow-wilson-008.jpg

Though he did also enjoy a stovepipe:

1919%20Woodrow%20Wilson.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
The real Henry Lawson hat

Banjo Peterson's fellow Bush poet and stablemate at The Bulletin was Henry Lawson. Between them they created Aussie bush poetry and defined the Aussie psyche. Both have appeared on the Australian $10 note - Banjo replaced Henry when the current note was designed.

Anyway, all that is leading up to this photo. You all know the Akubra Henry Lawson hat - well here's the real one (Henry on the left):

latrobe-70-084a.jpg

And with J F Archibald (editor of The Bulletin) & hat:

221156_f260.jpg

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Drover?

The upturned bound brim was exhibited in "Australia" recently so it looks like they hit the nail on the head with the style of the era!

3249167376_bed67fcece.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
And then there's that other famous Aussie lid:

nla.int-ex13-s2-item.jpg

Ask Hats Direct for an Akubra Ned Kelly

I saw this for the first time, along with Kelly's full suit of armour, a few weeks ago at the national Library of Victoria where it's on display. From his photos, and his death mask, Kelly looks to have an unusually small head.

And here's a bragging point - the very first feature length movie was made here in Oz and it was about Ned Kelly! Eat our Aussie iron shorts, Hollywood!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Drew B said:
lawson and his mate's hats are cerainly something huh?

Cheers,
Drew.

Yes indeed Drew. I wonder if they're Akubras? There would have been some Stetsons around the Aussie goldields and logging camps in those days too...and, I guess, the efforts of many small hatmakers, long since forgotten, would have adorned many an Aussie noggin back then too.

latrobe-70-084a.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Red-faced moment

ok, I have a confession to make. I got it wrong. The Akubra Lawson isn't named after Bush poet Henry Lawson at all.

It's named after an explorer named William Lawson, who in 1813 along with 2 other blokes named Gregory Blaxland and William Wentworth, found a way through the Blue Mountains and opened up the interior of New South Wales to settlement.

Here's William Lawson....and he's got NO HAT!

blax3.jpg

At least Henry the Poet wore a bloody hat, Akubra! What are you thinking?!

But all's not lost. Eventually Lawson the explorer had a town named after him - and they wore hats:

lawson1890.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart