Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best leather peacoat?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So when sizing, ask yourself: "How do I intend to wear this jacket and under what weather/environmental conditions?" As you may want to 'size up' to enable you to 'layer' your clothing underneath the outer shell (jacket).
As the only leather jacket I have that measures up to the minus 20 temps we've been getting this month is an Irvin Flying Jacket. My Barnstormer (not unsimilar to your leather peacoat idea) just doesn't cut it when it gets below zero (but 'then' I didn't buy it to wear in 'those' conditions, nor to layer it too much).

subject101

One of the Regulars
Please consider that leather jackets are not the best when wearing it in extreme cold conditions.
Cheers,
Andy

I actually have been considering this a lot lately :) I think I prefer leather for its durability. All leather jackets I have purchased so far are still in my closet.

Wool coats and other fabrics are to be replaced at some point. I own a beloved m-65 and I hate the fact it is falling to rags.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy, in what temperature range do you find yourself wearing your Barnstormer?

Spring/Autumn time.

As for wool coats wearing out. I'm currently wearing (as it's been very, very cold here in the UK) a 1940 DB Belted wool overcoat and it's in pristine condition and will outlive me (and I intend living to be a very old man!!).

Yes. But if you own one, please don't take it personally. I just can't see anything to like there.

Are you refering to this jacket?

jeanJacketNavyMoose-5.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I actually have been considering this a lot lately :) I think I prefer leather for its durability. All leather jackets I have purchased so far are still in my closet.

Wool coats and other fabrics are to be replaced at some point. I own a beloved m-65 and I hate the fact it is falling to rags.

The lighter weight wool jackets and coats do tend to wear out, with frequent use, sooner than we would like. The heavy weight, 32 oz. Kersey wool, however, will out last several of us if properly cared for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart