Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the real deal with Sam Walker jackets?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
here's one, 46, look at the high sleeve cap/low armhole, how could you move? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SAM...RSEHIDE-LEATHER-COAT-SZ-46-RARE-/222370008229

That is a lot of money, even stateside for an Aero copy.
Aero never made jackets labelled Sam Walker(ask them) When 'Sam Walker' found her could get a better profit making the himself he just copied the designs. Anyone advertising Sam Waker made by Aero , usually on eBay are simply lying to try for a better price. Having had 3 Sam Jackets I can speak from personal experience that the quality is simply not up to Aero standard.
J

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
All John has said is true. What Sam Walker thought they could do was sell steer knock-offs of Aero's designs next to original horse versions, usually with half-assed names: Highwayman = Highway, Waterfront = Dockshore, Veste des Rallye = Rally etc. Can't imagine why they go told to cease and desist...

Edward

Bartender
That is a lot of money, even stateside for an Aero copy.
Aero never made jackets labelled Sam Walker(ask them) When 'Sam Walker' found her could get a better profit making the himself he just copied the designs. Anyone advertising Sam Waker made by Aero , usually on eBay are simply lying to try for a better price. Having had 3 Sam Jackets I can speak from personal experience that the quality is simply not up to Aero standard.
J

To be entirely fair, I suspect that some people have also sinmply read or heasrd somewhere that "Sam Walker were made by Aero" and repeat it inaccurately in good faith, having not questioned it - i.e. I don't think they are all necessarily consciously lying. Still a case of Caveat Emptor - if it doesn't have a company's label directly on it, I'd tend not to believe they made it until reliably proven otherwise.

I love when people put Rare in the auction name to get attention.

Very few times is actually rare.

My favourites are the guyds who sell "unique" items, whether they put the next version of the same "unique" item up after one sells, or a dozen at once...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
'Rare' doesn't necessarily mean 'desirable'. Of course, the passage of time and encroachment of kitsch and irony can add value to something which in its time was cheap and ugly...

Cogerrunt

New in Town
I bought my first two Aero jackets from a Alphabet store in Kensington High Street Market. A Highwayman in brown chrome horsehide and the second a black "Longshoreman" Sheepskin Lined. Both cost about £350 in 1992. In 1995 I did a straight swap in Sam Walker, my Longshoreman for an Aero biker jacket which I still wear today. At that time Sam Walker were offering this straight swap deal instore. I remember taking a few hours trying every jacket on before choosing the biker one and wearing it home on the tube; even though it was a hot day..I was so pleased. I do remember going into SW a year later and noticed that the Aero jackets had both Area and Sam Walker labels sewn into them. I also have the aforementioned little catalogue with 30s style illustrations showing a variety jackets and shoes.

Steven65

New in Town
I purchased three Aero jackets from Sam Walker at their Covent Garden store in the late '80's. One was a Half Belt, the other a Barnstormer, both in Steerhide. The third a Horsehide commando vest. They both had full Aero labels in them with no Sam Walker labels.
The Half Belt and Vest I traded back to Aero in 2019 as I had lost weight and they no longer fitted me. As I recall The Half Belt was around £250 and the vest around £90. The Barnstormer I gave to my nephew and unfortunately it was stolen.

Later on I bought a work style jacket from Sam Walker thinking it was an Aero jacket. It was not. I have it to this day. It is nowhere near the quality of Aero and is clearly inferior. If anyone is interested I'll post pics of it and the label.

I remember dealing with a guy named Jasper at the shop in Covent Garden. They also had a market stall at Camden Market and I often saw Aero's for sale there. I also still have my Aero boots I purchased from Sam Walker, I must have them resoled some time.

My half Belt.....

My Vest........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner