Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Right Hat for fishing?

RBH

Bartender
A nice one for the outdoors.

MV5BMTc1ODU1MzE2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY2NDAzNA@@._V1._SX640_SY482_.jpg

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
Find an old "beater" like this Marathon and make it yours. There is no "right" hat for fly fishing but you'll look like you a stooge with the wrong one (i.e. you'll look like you are trying too hard to look right).

June10floattrip.jpg

I know this is old, but looks like you are on the Au Sable in an Au Sable boat.

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
The "popular" choice would be a branded trucker cap, but the actual sun protection is pretty minimal.

I think the suggestion for a Tilley is the best idea! They float too.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What kind of hats do you guys recommend for fishing? Most everyone I know wears baseball caps but I just can bring myself to wear one.
A nice wide brimmed hat is always good. If you are out at the water the sun gets you from above and below.
I love my Tilley and would recommend it to anyone. Outside of that, if you know your hat size keep an eye on the "buy and sell" groups (kijiji and all that) for a nice cowboy hat. You can buy them cheap (at least where I live) so if they get beaten up you don't care so much. They have great wide brim for lots of protection as most modern ones have a 4" brim. If you are going for a new modern felt hat anything from Akubra is good. Keep in mind until an Akubra breaks in you will want a chin strap to protect your investment. The rivers can be windy places. Hatsdirect used to provide one for free with every purchase.
Hope that helps and wear your hat in good health
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ