Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's this crease?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I'm watching an old movie,lots of hats.What do you call this crease?The movies called The Racket,1951.

P1030894_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I hand- done, rough teardrop. Most old hats (that I've run across) didn't have the perfect creases that people here agonize about, that is, not perfectly smooth and symmetrical.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
I hand- done, rough teardrop. Most old hats (that I've run across) didn't have the perfect creases that people here agonize about, that is, not perfectly smooth and symmetrical.

I agree mostly, except that I see a rough 6-point diamond.

I am with you in the old hats' imperfectly done creases. I have a number of these, and rarely change a thing. I like the flavour of it.

Regards!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Most old hats (that I've run across) didn't have the perfect creases that people here agonize about, that is, not perfectly smooth and symmetrical.

Hi Dinerman,

I don't clearly understand your above statement, it is open to some interpretation...

Referring to the term "agonize", do you mean to say that ...people here... are "unhappy" or "complain about" (their) creases not being "perfectly smooth and symmetrical"?

Personally, I have -with time- increasingly learned to like the more or less irregular, clearly "hand creased" look in hat-bashes. Such obviously hand-made creases are only possible with very, very good felt...I believe.

Paul

animator

One of the Regulars
When I was looking for my first hat I really wanted a perfect and clean crease... now I prefer creases that look sort of hastily hand made with a lot of character.

I like the crease in the picture!

trailrunner

Familiar Face
I think part of the newbie's obsession with the bash is just that it is so much fun working on it until you get it just the way you want it. With my recently bought first hat I completely re-bashed twice and made endless little tweaks over the first two or three weeks. I suspect that I will do that with every new hat I buy, I think it will always be part of the excitement of getting a new one for me.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Torpedo. That looks like a deep 6-point diamond on a fedora. It definitely isn't a porkpie. The brim is curled upward in the rear and then appears to swoop to a snapped-down front brim. The open crown on this hat may have been well over 5" tall as that diamond is very deep. I'd like to see this one from the front and side views. :cool2:

Torpedo

One Too Many
L HATLEY said:
Would that be the difference in a Crease or Bash. i prefer a Crease.

Hi,

There is a thread precisely dedicated to this somewhere, but I would think the conclusion is that "bash" is a more Australian term, popularized at the COW, from where it spread, and that the traditional hatter term would be "crease" or "style".

Regards!

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of those sorts of creases, and they're really easy to do -- just don't put a lot of effort into it and you've got it. The biggest reason I sold my Akubra Casual and Akubra Traveler, both from their line of crushable pliofelts, was because I couldn't get out the perfectly symmetrical machine-pressed look. It's no fault of the hats; that's just how they're made.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm of two minds about bashes. If it's clearly a rough, hand-creased, uneven bash, I like it. But if it's one of those clean, neat "supposed to look even" bashes, I catch myself obsessing over symmetry. :eusa_doh:

As for the hat in question for this thread, how 'bout we call it the Unbalanced Pentagon. Because "Crazy" is so un-PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy