Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite martini?

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
I love a Bombay Sapphire Martini, 5 parts to 1 part dry vermouth, stirred, 2 olives. The Gin and vermouth should be chilled.
Now I'm craving one of these and it's not even noon...

Also, vodka and vermouth is a Kangaroo.

For fans of the dry martini:

In the TV series M*A*S*H, characters Hawkeye Pierce, Trapper John McIntyre and B.J. Hunnicutt distill gin for martinis in their tent. Hawkeye declares, "actually, I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula." Trapper responds, "five-to-one?" Hawkeye replies, "Not quite. You pour six jiggers of gin, and you drink it while staring at a picture of Lorenzo Schwartz, the inventor of vermouth."

Kimberly

Practically Family
jazzzbaby said:
Vodka Martini or a Dirty Martini for me
~ with three or four olives! :p

Haven't had one in quite sometime, but when I use
to go out more frequently that was my drink of choice.
It lasted me awhile and I hardly ever needed a second one.

That is how I get when I drink certain cocktails. Two is always my limit because if not I will be drunk. :eek:

I remember when cosmopolitans first came out I drank 4 of those in a 7 hour span and paid for it for days. :eek:

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Make my martini dirty, like my mind.

No no. That's not very lady like.

I actually like a martini just a little dirty--with a twinkle of olive juice--more naughty than dirty. Still civilized.

But I'm more of a gimlet girl quite honestly. Gimlets are a type of martini, yes?

Kimberly said:
Side rail all you want gentlemen. I do it all the time. lol
As long as nobody's going OVER the rail...:D lol

Miss Dottie said:
But I'm more of a gimlet girl quite honestly. Gimlets are a type of martini, yes?
Gimlet=gin and Rose's lime juice (has to be Rose's specifically), IIRC. Don't think it fits, although maybe if you have it in a martini glass and squint just right...:D

Make mine in the proper Bondian manner: vodka, shaken not stirred.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Martinis at 8 said:
...any martini attached to a beautiful woman will do ;)

M8
Fresh! :p

So anyway, I'll have a champagne cocktail please.

I am not so much of a -tini person though I like appletinis no and again, occasionally a midori sour. If I am not drinking champagne I like my drinks to taste like candy.

Okay, my tongue is starting to bleed from all the biting I've been doing.

Gimlets are a type of martini, yes?

For the record there are only two types of martinis: The Martini and The Perfect Martini. Both have gin, and only gin, as a base. Any coctktail that is 'Perfect' contains equal parts dry and sweet vermouth, so we can make that exception. The cocktail known as a Vodka Martini (or, yeesh, a Vodkatini) is actually called a Kangaroo.

No, no one appointed me the authority. I'm simply a self-appointed loudmouth purist and keeper-of-the-flame who's had enough of this lunacy. (And don't get me started, again, on the difference between cocktail glasses and martini glasses.)

Now you'll have to excuse me. I have to decide on tonight's cocktail.

Regards,

Senator Jack: A Quinn/Martin Production

farnham54

A-List Customer
Actually, if anyone is at a well stocked bar, another Bondian inspiration is really quite tasty: the Vesper.

But for me, vodka dry and dirty as can be--and by dirty I mean lots of Olive Juice, not just olives.

Cheers
Craig

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
As long as nobody's going OVER the rail...:D lol

Gimlet=gin and Rose's lime juice (has to be Rose's specifically), IIRC. Don't think it fits, although maybe if you have it in a martini glass and squint just right...:D

Make mine in the proper Bondian manner: vodka, shaken not stirred.

Yes, it has to be Rose's. That's all there is to it. Regardless of whether or not it is a martini, it's a darn fine drink.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Time to stir the pot or, for some, shake

Here are several gin cocktail recipes that I have jotted down at my bar. We have been experimenting quite a lot recently and have many Martini purists among us. There are a few that might be predecessors to today’s cocktails with the –tini suffix?

Let’s start with the five that I have been told were traditionally called martini. I offer no opinion only raw research:

My martini when making a batch:

1 part French Vermouth
5 parts gin
Both kept in the freezer, lightly turned over in a chilled shaker and poured into chilled martini glasses, with or without the olive.

If making individual martinis I coat the inside of a glass with the chilled vermouth and pour in the gin – Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire.

The Gibson (aka “Very Dry Martini”?)
1 part French Vermouth
5 parts gin
Stir gently in tall glass with ice, strain into cocktail glass, add cocktail onion, twist piece of lemon peel over each glass, then drop peel into glass.

Dry Martini
1 part French Vermouth
2 parts gin
Stir with ice in tall glass, until chilled. Serve in cocktail glass with green olive or pearl onion. Twist piece of lemon peel on top.

*One variant calls for three parts gin and a dash of orange bitters. Judge for yourself whether that puts it in the second category of gin cocktails.

Medium Martini (aka Perfect Martini)
1 part French Vermouth
1 part Italian Vermouth
2 parts gin
Stir with ice in tall glass; strain into cocktail glass containing green olive.

Cornell
¬? French Vermouth
¬? gin

Chocolate Soldier
1/3 Dubonnet
2/3 gin
Dash of lime juice

Two versions of the Delmonico (thank to my guests)
¾ oz. gin
¬? oz. French Vermouth
¬? oz. Italian Vermouth
¬? oz. cognac
2 dashes bitters – usually Angostura
Twist of orange peel

Or

¬? French Vermouth
¬? gin
Dash of orange bitters
2 slices orange peel

Dewey
¬? French Vermouth
¬? gin
Dash of orange bitters

Maiden’s Prayer
¼ dry gin
¼ Cointreau
¼ lemon juice
Dash of orange bitters
Ice and shake well

Poet’s Dream
1/3 Benedictine
1/3 French Vermouth
1/3 gin
Lemon peel squeezed on top

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
vonwotan said:
H

Cornell
¬? French Vermouth
¬? gin

Chocolate Soldier
1/3 Dubonnet
2/3 gin
Dash of lime juice

Two versions of the Delmonico (thank to my guests)
¾ oz. gin
¬? oz. French Vermouth
¬? oz. Italian Vermouth
¬? oz. cognac
2 dashes bitters – usually Angostura
Twist of orange peel

Or

¬? French Vermouth
¬? gin
Dash of orange bitters
2 slices orange peel

Dewey
¬? French Vermouth
¬? gin
Dash of orange bitters

Maiden’s Prayer
¼ dry gin
¼ Cointreau
¼ lemon juice
Dash of orange bitters
Ice and shake well

Poet’s Dream
1/3 Benedictine
1/3 French Vermouth
1/3 gin
Lemon peel squeezed on top

Such clever names!

BTW, in Texas they will serve you a martini with a black-eyed pea in it and call it a "Molly Ivins".

Mojito

One Too Many
I rarely feel like a martini...but when I do, nothing else will suffice. Dry, with Bombay Sapphire Gin that has been stored with the glasses in the freezer.

I like vodkatinis of various stripes as long as they're not too sickly. Absolut does a nice range that are flavoured but not sweet - their new ruby grapefruit is great in various combinations.

Cosmopolitans are a whole other tangent...but I do like them. No sugar added (yes, some people do add sweetener), but with generous fresh lime and Cointreau portions. And good quality cranberry juice, not overly sweetened. A friend and I mix it up in a large cold glass jug for parties, and it works almost as well as a punch. Anyone finding it too strong can add a splash of soda.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A really good , but expensive Gin:

Segarra Gin

gin_segarra.jpg

Julian Segarra makes a number of very nice products.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21