Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite martini?

Washington

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
My favorite martini is one made by an older gentleman during happy hour. After 12 years and two restaurant bars we still don't know each other's names and I always ask for 'gin martini straight up with a twist'.
My second favorite martini, if I am somewhere else or it is not happy hour, is 'Bombay Sapphire martini straight up with a twist'. I am not fussy. I hate people fussing in restaurants. If I get olives or a lime I don't complain. My second favorite martini is susceptible to change without prior notice, say, Boodles or whatever.
This is the one drink I do not make at home.

Not that its a rare drink, but that happens to be my favorite as well. Still I rarely see anyone else order it with a twist nowadays, and unfortunately if it arrives with olives I must send it back.

Here's to you.

-Washington

Barry

Practically Family
I enjoy them as well. I prefer Gin.

I also like a Manhattan now and then but I've noticed that a lot of bartenders tend to make a Manhattan as they would a dry Martini. I wind up getting a chilled "bourbon up" with a cherry.

Barry

Washington

New in Town
Speaking of sending it back, some where on here you'll see the story I told about receiving in turn, one with olives, ones with an onion, and then finally one with a quarter of a lemon wedge before giving up and ordering a beer.

-Washington

Barry

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Barry, my best friend orders a Manhattan and it arrives as it should be. Yummy. By the way, at $2.50 a pop, we Rochesterians are pretty fortunate. :D

That sounds about perfect.

I ordered one at a local steakhouse ($9+) here in DC and it came with a huge orange/cherry/toothpick garnish. Kind of like a Manhattan "old fashioned" hybrid.

Barry

T-10

Equal parts Tanquerey TEN gin and Ketel One vodka with a few drops of dry vermouth, Shaken and served in a chilled or frozen martini glass with an olive.

Feel the cares of the day just slip away!

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Washington said:
Speaking of sending it back, some where on here you'll see the story I told about receiving in turn, one with olives, ones with an onion, and then finally one with a quarter of a lemon wedge before giving up and ordering a beer.

-Washington
Martini with a twist and an onion would be a Gibson, I belive

Kimberly

Practically Family
OK, I am curious now. I can understand how an olive would make a martini taste good but an onion?? Is it overpowering or does it actually enhance it somehow. [huh].

I am so grateful for all of your suggestions. I am going to try a couple of them out at the wedding I have coming up. :D

vonwotan

Practically Family
Kimberly - The cocktail onion is also soaked in brine, imparts a bit of saltiness, but a bit different than an olive. BTW, the onions are about the same size as an olive.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ketel One martinis are the way I go. Sometimes dirty, sometimes not. I also go with the Tanquerey 10 if I want a gin martini, which is occasional. Hendrick's is nice too.

As for speciality martinis, I really dislike the martinis that are just dessert, mostly because while tasty, they take about 5 minutes to drink, are invariably $12, and are cloyingly sweet. A lemon drop martini with a sugar rim is a nice compromise IMHO. :) :essen:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Washington said:
This is the kind of situation where the rubes are having a big ole toothless laugh trying to "train" the visiting urbanite to local ways, little realizing that nothing short of felonious assault would drive the message home.

olive bleu

One Too Many
My very first Martini ever was during our local Jazz festival. I was previously pretty much a wine & beer gal,but knew that the day would come when I would have to try a "real" martini. I had never even had a choco-tini, or any of those other thingies.I was saving myself for the real McCoy.:)

So, there I was listening to some great Jazz with a view of Halifax harbour before me, and I ordered a classic Gin Martini.I really had no idea what I was doing, but all I can say is that it forever changed the way I would drink.It was absolute perfection.Made with Bombay Sapphire, dirty with just a whisper of vermouth, and icy cold...it was love at first sip.:) Sadly, no matter how thorough my instructions, i find it difficult to have that duplicated, with any consistency.But
, I do make them,often,at home.

Other than the classic, the only other drink I order (that comes in a martini glass) is at one of my favourite spots, here, on Martini Monday:) , is a Blue Lagoon, which i only drink from June-August..made with blue curacao, coconut rum, a splash of milk,with a cherry plopped in....summer in a glass...;)

But, it's not a martini.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Side rail all you want gentlemen. I do it all the time. lol

I am actually getting more from this thread due to the derailment. I never knew the history of the martini and actually thought that all of the fruity ones out there were in fact martini's. Now I knew better and am going to order a true martini next time I am out at an upscale lounge or bar. :eusa_clap

Hondo

One Too Many
Ever been to the Cheesecake factory? They have a nice mellow strawberry flavored martini with sugar on its rim, I love it. Cosmos are also good ;)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Senator Jack said:
Thus my absence from this thread. My restraint is a a testament to human willpower.

Regards,

Senator Jack: A Quinn/Martin Production

lol lol lol

Senator Jack, should I ever meet you, if I don't have a drink with you, I will honestly be tempted to cry.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Vodka Martini or a Dirty Martini for me
~ with three or four olives! :p

Haven't had one in quite sometime, but when I use
to go out more frequently that was my drink of choice.
It lasted me awhile and I hardly ever needed a second one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21