Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what's your favorite shaving brush and why?

Doug C

Practically Family
Can someone recommend a shaving brush that's both small and stiff :eek: .. seriousless, the Saville Row brush that I'm using now is quite large, too much for my facial dimensions. I feel like a smaller one would suit me better especially to apply lather under my nose. Also it's too soft, I feel like it does very little to lift wiskers or exfoliate. So are there any that are particularly compact and stiff? Thanks.

Doug C

MD11

Familiar Face
I've bought and sold a few brushes in my, at that time seemingly never ending search for a perfect brush. Two stuck out as worthy of keeping as primary brushes in my rotation and I can't say I like one over the other as they're both quite different in terms of size. Simpson's Chubby 3, and Rooney Style 1, Medium:

304924099.jpg

304924095.jpg

MD11

Familiar Face
Briefly, you asked "what you liked about them"...

Short answer, on both I love their incredible density and the bristle on both was neither too soft, nor to rough (boar like).. they're both able to make a great lather and hold it for long. I also like the handle on both, but especially the Rooney as the Chubby 3 might be a bit big (in hindsight a 2 might have been better for me).

Being made in England is also a plus, but Germany, France or USA are also good for me.. just not China. Interestingly however, most hair does come from China as this is where the animal is used for food and so the fur isn't wasted, which is a good thing.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I only just got involved with the gang over at badgerandblade.com (great group of people!) and while lurking and searching and sniffing about, I came across the chinese made Silvertip badger from DeLong, about 25 bucks on eBay from virtualvillage.
It's been favorably compared to Shavemacs and Crabtree & Evelyn and Tweezerman and seems to be an astonishingly good quality brush. I ordered one after reading the reviews and comaprions from some of the badgerblade folks. One fellow has over a dozen high end brushes, and he has a shot of them all lined up together, the DeLong silvertip included. He considers it an excellent brush. Search for this brush at badgerandblade.com.

Be aware, not all DeLong brushes are quality badger. One in particular has recently been examined, one with a black resin handle, that proved to be pure stiff boar.

Get the virtualvillage model with the faux ivory handle. It seems to be winning some serious converts.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
I have an Acca Kappa that worked well until it started to come undone - shame, too, since it was part of a set with a matching razor and base. Can
brushes be repaired?

For, well, a long time now, I've been using a Trumper's Super Badger in the house and a Taylor's Super Badger Travel Brush. I use creams (Taylor's) most of time, including travel (in tubes), with the occasional foray to a soap.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
John K Stetson said:
I have an Acca Kappa that worked well until it started to come undone - shame, too, since it was part of a set with a matching razor and base. Can
brushes be repaired?

For, well, a long time now, I've been using a Trumper's Super Badger in the house and a Taylor's Super Badger Travel Brush. I use creams (Taylor's) most of time, including travel (in tubes), with the occasional foray to a soap.

This site sell brush heads in various sizes.
You'd just have to dig out the old plug, then epoxy in a new one.
http://www.blankity-blanks.com/brushes.htm

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
This site sell brush heads in various sizes.
You'd just have to dig out the old plug, then epoxy in a new one.
http://www.blankity-blanks.com/brushes.htm

Thanks, cooncatbob - an awesome site. I see they sell razor heads too, which
is good because I have a nice-handled razor whose head has seen better days. Looks like a repair is in order, though I have to admit, those are some very very nice handles!

I have a friend that does a good bit of wood work and turning, though his turned objects tend to be bowls, vases, and the like.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
There was some concern over brushes with wood handles. It is believed if the wood is not properly sealed the hot water will eventually get into the wood and problems begin to occur.

That part of the reason a shaving brush should be hung bristles down, so as much water as possible is pulled out by gravity and evaporation. Setting it bristles up holds more water at the base and leads to bristle loss.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Wow, lots to mull over here.

I broke my Burma Shave brush this morning, and was thinking about upgrading when I buy a replacement.

I can't fathom paying more than $50 for a shaving brush, though!

-Dave

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Badger:
#1: Simpson's Two-Band Super Badger, "Tulip 2" handle and size.
# 2: Simpson's best badger "The Duke" D1 size. (Smaller and more efficient sometimes.)

Boar:
A tossup bewteen Semogue Premium Boar 830 (nicer handle) and Omega 81052 (best value).

You just can't pick either badger or boar as superior IMO. Depends on the product you're using and other considerations. Really, having several of each kind is the best if you can afford that. They do dry more slowly than most folks think (around 48 hours + per my weighing experiments) so it's a good thing to have them in rotation. I favor smaller sizes, but sometimes medium (22-23 knot, 50 to 55 loft) is very nice too!

- Bill

P.S. I hang out at Badger and Blade too...same username.

Last edited:
I have 2 brushes I use a pure badger by Vulfix that is branded for the Col. Conk line and a Vulfix Super Badger. The pure is excellent to use and the Super which is a tad softer and has a bigger brush is just a bit more luxurious to use.

I had another Badger that was New Old Stock made for the Caswell Massey line that was badger but not quite as nice as the Col. Conk one. I gave that to a friend who had become interested in wet shaving and had gotten a Burma Shave Bristle brush. it was a great demonstration of the step up in comfort and quality.

Unfortunately the quality ones cost a lot more. In some of the shaving forums they advise stay away from wood handles as hot water and wood leads to problems later on.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Unfortunately the quality ones cost a lot more. In some of the shaving forums they advise stay away from wood handles as hot water and wood leads to problems later on.

I second that John.

As you might suppose from my moniker, I play wooden flutes...and there dimensional stability and moisture changes are very important. There's a few individuals turning brush handles from exotic woods, and I wouldn't be afraid of African blackwood (Grenadilla sp.) or maybe rosewood, but unless impregnated with plastic, I wouldn't trust most other wood handles personally.

Also y'all, don't dismiss boar brushes as inferior. They cost a lot less and many are garbage, but if you get good ones with untrimmed bristles (natural tapered ends) and tight knots, they can be superior performers on soaps and have good face feel. They might not last quite as long as a good badger (depending though on how you treat it), but they're much cheaper at a similar quality point.

Both badgers and boars figure equally in my rotation.

Both Omega (Italy) and Semogue (Portugal) make exceptional boar brushes. The former may offer the best value, the latter is perhaps the best available - but apart from handle materials, I'm not totally sold on even that. As far as badgers, Simpson's and Vulfix are now one company, but I think they still put more effort into the former line. I've had some of each.

- Bill

Last edited:

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I have an Art of Shaving brush and a vintage Ever-Ready brush, both badger hair. The Art of Shaving brush is softer and works well with creams, the Ever-Ready is more stiff and works well with soaps.

If I had to choose, I probably prefer the Ever-Ready.

The AoS set me back about $20 on eBay and the Ever-Ready was about $5 at a flea market.

I've tried a couple of different boar brushes and found the badger to be much superior. But, to be fair, the boar brushes were cheapos. Maybe there are boar brushes out there that perform well.

HPIM1335.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'd completely forgotten I started this thread! Well, at some point in the past nearly three years I did pick up a nice badger brush, and have been very glad I did. I think it was this model:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/product.php?productid=2606&cat=146&page=1

The synthetic brush with which I started is still in use as a travel brush. Noticeable difference in quality - it works just fine, but definitely less luxurious to use, and makes a little more work of the shave. Takes longer to lather. Fine for travelling, though, and I'll not be so worried if it gets lost... that said, chances are if anything does happen it, I'll buy badger for keeping in my travel kit. When cash is more plentiful, I might just pick up another badger brush to use in rotation with the one I have, either the same again or one from the more affordable end of the Shaving Shack range. I'm also tempted by a new razor body or two to use alongside the Merkur Progress.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Hi folks, long time-no post. I recognize a few names in this old thread. Are any of you familiar with the Parker Safety Razor brand of brushes? I'm looking to get myself and my son new brushes. We have, currently, Van Der Hagen brushes, but both brushes have popped out of the handle. Looks as if there were some adhesive to keep them in, however they've both come out I assume broken. These are newish, just a few months, and not used often at all. Any information is helpful, as I'm beginning to search and shocked by some of the prices I see. Thank you, all. Tommy

I prefer the "middleclass of the middleclass".

That means, the simple greybadger-brushes, but not the cheap, thin ones, with the poorer quality and not the regular overpriced greybadgers from the popular brands, but rather the better made priceworth ones, with the cutted ends, which are similar to their brothers at the popular brands.

I got three of them, bought in 2010, which are seemingly brothers of the Thäter 4411. And I love them! :) The first was so good, that I grabbed further two of them, before it was too late.
The great thing for me, on greybadgers, is their fantastic "massaging-in effect".

With a little luck, you can find such working horses at any drugstore.

The second from left:

1804657.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points