Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite season?

What's your favourite season?

• Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summer

• Autumn

• Winter

• Total voters

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My wife and I debate about which is better...she prefers the newness of spring, and I prefer the fall. I sometimes pull out my fall/winter camping gear every so often just so I can smell the aroma of burnt pine and scrub oak.

I love waking up to a cup of hot, spiced apple cider, and a nice breakfast made by my wife. It's Saturday, and the light is still a little dim outside, but growing. I had better get going, for there's much work to be done. Stepping out into the cool, crisp air, I can see that my persimmon tree is full of mostly ripe fruit. The rusty brown exterior protects the bright orange flesh. A taste of one is mushy, sweet, and delightful. I had better get these picked soon, or the crows will have a feast.

I'm in my workshop, setting things in order. No need to start a fire in the old stove; it'll be around sixty degrees today. The lawnmower needs to have the gas drained out of it since I won't be mowing again till next year. Hands work nimbly, moving quickly, but with deft assurance. Drained into the old metal can, the gas wafts out over the shop. Sealed up and set outside. I'll find something to use it for. I piddle with my reloading setup. These brass are good and clean after a night in the tumbler. Time to run them through the sizing die.

Before long, it's near lunchtime, so I head inside. Hot potato and onion soup, my favorite! A warmth hits my gullet, and soon spreads to the rest of me. I sit in the recliner, and watch a little television. Matlock is solving another case, but I don't find out what happened, because I'm staring at my eyelids for the next hour or so.

I wake up, stretch, and climb out of the nap I've been in. Boy, that felt good. I think I'll go on the other side of the ponds and do a little shooting with my old .22 rifle. I'm gone a couple hours, and don't do much shooting. Spent more time just looking at the birds and critters. Doves are coming in...soon, it'll be time to take the dogs out and sit in a field to wait on them. Back home, my wife is sitting on the porch with a large paper bag full of whole pecans, shelling away. I'd better help her, as we'll need plenty to make pecan pies for Thanksgiving. We get about half the bag done, but the light is getting dimmer, and a chill has been in the air for a while. Thankfully, the mosquitoes have mostly died off, giving us a respite from their bites.

Inside, I turn on a couple lamps. Lawrence Welk's show is on, but it's mostly background noise to our family around the table. More soup, but we also warm up some spaghetti squash with leftover turkey from yesterday. My wife's face is rosy pink from being outside.

I love the fall.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
well since I currently and for the vast majority of my life lived where there is really not much season differences...

I do like Autumn though...even when I was in the UK I liked the blowing breezy crisp air...

When I lived in Brazil...the amazon basin has two seasons..wet and dry...main difference being that in the dry, it only rains every -other- day.

California is seasonless....hotter cooler and a bit of rain does not a season make.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
My wife and I debate about which is better...she prefers the newness of spring, and I prefer the fall. I sometimes pull out my fall/winter camping gear every so often just so I can smell the aroma of burnt pine and scrub oak.

I love waking up to a cup of hot, spiced apple cider, and a nice breakfast made by my wife. It's Saturday, and the light is still a little dim outside, but growing. I had better get going, for there's much work to be done. Stepping out into the cool, crisp air, I can see that my persimmon tree is full of mostly ripe fruit. The rusty brown exterior protects the bright orange flesh. A taste of one is mushy, sweet, and delightful. I had better get these picked soon, or the crows will have a feast.

I'm in my workshop, setting things in order. No need to start a fire in the old stove; it'll be around sixty degrees today. The lawnmower needs to have the gas drained out of it since I won't be mowing again till next year. Hands work nimbly, moving quickly, but with deft assurance. Drained into the old metal can, the gas wafts out over the shop. Sealed up and set outside. I'll find something to use it for. I piddle with my reloading setup. These brass are good and clean after a night in the tumbler. Time to run them through the sizing die.

Before long, it's near lunchtime, so I head inside. Hot potato and onion soup, my favorite! A warmth hits my gullet, and soon spreads to the rest of me. I sit in the recliner, and watch a little television. Matlock is solving another case, but I don't find out what happened, because I'm staring at my eyelids for the next hour or so.

I wake up, stretch, and climb out of the nap I've been in. Boy, that felt good. I think I'll go on the other side of the ponds and do a little shooting with my old .22 rifle. I'm gone a couple hours, and don't do much shooting. Spent more time just looking at the birds and critters. Doves are coming in...soon, it'll be time to take the dogs out and sit in a field to wait on them. Back home, my wife is sitting on the porch with a large paper bag full of whole pecans, shelling away. I'd better help her, as we'll need plenty to make pecan pies for Thanksgiving. We get about half the bag done, but the light is getting dimmer, and a chill has been in the air for a while. Thankfully, the mosquitoes have mostly died off, giving us a respite from their bites.

Inside, I turn on a couple lamps. Lawrence Welk's show is on, but it's mostly background noise to our family around the table. More soup, but we also warm up some spaghetti squash with leftover turkey from yesterday. My wife's face is rosy pink from being outside.

I love the fall.

Lovely post Zohar, you've nailed the joy of autumn.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I like Autumn best, especially here in Iowa. Also Spring. In both seasons, I can dress the way I prefer and also wear my fedoras and wool caps.

Seems like the above seasons are shorter than they used to be, especially Autumn. It was so cold last October that I could hardly enjoy the fall colors.

Seasons are interesting to see after having lived in San Diego for 22 years, where seasons are, well, subtle.

karol

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
I am a summer girl all the way. Spring would be the next favorite.
(I can't wear dresses in the winter here...it's way to cold)
I dread the winters, and I am not too much a fan of the fall.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Smithy said:
You must be a Wellingtonian Miss Sis ;)

You got it in one, Smithy. :eusa_clap

Friend of mine moved to Auckland years ago - she says Winters up there stink as she can't wear decent coats or boots and misses the freshness.

Sometime I miss the wind too. At least you know you're alive when it's blowing. Especially when it tries to blow you into the path of moving traffic! lol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Autumn for sure! But not this stupid, non-existent Houston Autumn which doesn't happen until December that I'm stuck in–but the Autumn of my youth in Upstate NY. Walks in the woods, hot apple cider. Boy do I miss it :( .

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
The only winters I ever enjoyed was living in San Diego.

I remember the year I moved there. It was December 1997.
Walking to the grocery store in a dress while seeing locals wearing jackets, and thinking they were nuts.
No snow for three winters! It was wonderful!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
There is nothing more fantasticly beautiful than Autumn in New England.

Normally I would agree, but oh, the Blue Ridge Parkway in fall could sure give it a run for the money!:)
brp01.jpg

My favorite however, is bitter winter, when all the world slows down and the wind howls through the bare trees. I love crunchy snow, glistening ice, and frost on the windowpanes.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love autumn. And I also wish it would last about 70% if the time. The other 30% could be cold and rainy 24/7. That would be perfect!

duggap

Banned
Winter, anytime. We excavate artifacts and the winter is the best time. There are no snakes, tics, poison ivy, etc. But our winters here in southeast Tennessee are very mild. We only get snow about every third or fourth year.

ClayBob

New in Town
Autumn is my favorite, warm days and cool nights. Of course winter here in the South is OK as well. Although, my furnace broke last winter during a warm spell and I delayed having it repaired thinking the warm trend would carry through till spring. It didn't and I spent a few COLD nights as a result. Thank goodness for the old kerosene heater I snagged out of Grandad's barn. :) Right now I have had just about as much summer heat as I care for.

Mister_Ed

New in Town
Being extremely hot-natured, I love the winter. I can wear short sleeves when the temps are in the 40s, maybe a favorite old sweatshirt or jacket if it gets breezy. I also love fall with the leaves changing, and because football season is underway at last! :)

Edward

Bartender
Miss Sis said:
I think I used to get SAD when I was young. Winter was such a killer and I come from a temperate climate, so it wasn't like I was snowed in or anything. It was just cold, grey and windy, seemingly for months and months and months.

See, I like that. It's the Summer that depresses me in that way. seems to be I'm not so odd, though - according to a report in the paper last week (if you can beleive such things), incidences of suicide in the UK climb markedly once the temperature hits I think 22C, and go up markedly for every degree it gets higher. [huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Give me trudging through the snow in ten degrees (in a snappy hat and vintage overcoat!) over sweating my way along in a wrinkled shirt stuck to my back in 90 degrees any day.

Gramma used to say "You can always put more clothes on, but there's just so much you can take off."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran