Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your signature hat?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Illustration of thread theme: I am all about Span-Am War era campaign hats, and so that is why I posted a picture of one. My avatars used to be variations of such hats. I love them. They speak to me. Not literally, of course. Though I have talked to them occasionally. They are significant to me and that is what I would refer to as a signature hat. Now take RBH, his TVA is to me, his signature hat. He may not agree, or he might. But the same rationale applies.

dean

AlanC

^Yes, that's what I meant by it. RBH and his TVA is a good example (whether he likes it or not! lol ). It's the hat others immediately associate with you, or the hat you want others to associate with you.

Signature hats and their wearers:

CharlieChaplin.jpg

holmes10.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Okay, that's what I was thinking originally. Sorry for the confusion - after reading all these posts about Mr. Fawcett's hats, I was beginning to think it was focused around a particular "signature" hat that Art had been producing for his customers.

duggap

Banned
Alan, with the help of Fatwoul (many thanks) I was able to post my hat but, because it was a diamond bash, it was posted under that thread. Take a look, I think it is a keeper.:)

AlanC

You mean this one?

duggap said:
Alan, with the help of Fatwoul (many thanks) I was able to post my hat but, because it was a diamond bash, it was posted under that thread. Take a look, I think it is a keeper.:)

duggap said:
1001071445.jpg

1001071445a.jpg

1002071733.jpg

Here is mine. It is an Art Fawcett original. I love it.:)

Great hat, duggap!

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I kept scanning Internet sites for a story I had heard regarding Jimmy Stewart.

I had heard he wore a new hat for a western he had filmed. Either he, or the property department kept the hat, and had him wear it again for another western. This apparently continued for some time, and the hat acquired quite a "patina" over its film life.

Darned if I can find any trace of that now :mad:

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Billy Jack Hat

I purchased my first hat at age eleven. It was a Billy Jack hat. I mowed lawns in late summer, and shoveled snow all winter to earn the money for the hat and a belt buckle at a local Indian shop. I still have the belt buckle, but the hat was trashed after about three years of hard wear.
That was my first signature hat. Anybody here wear a hat like that? I may just get another, but; with a different ribbon treatment. My fist had a handmade beaded band.

J.B.

Practically Family
Qwkslvr said:
I purchased my first hat at age eleven. It was a Billy Jack hat. I mowed lawns in late summer, and shoveled snow all winter to earn the money for the hat and a belt buckle at a local Indian shop. I still have the belt buckle, but the hat was trashed after about three years of hard wear.
That was my first signature hat...

This guy is still looking for your hat...

billyjackfr9.jpg

And he's still angry about you trashing it...

And when he finds it and you...

...He's just gonna go BERSERK!
emogrinyesfk7.gif

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
J.B. said:
This guy is still looking for your hat...

billyjackfr9.jpg

And he's still angry about you trashing it...

And when he finds it and you...

...He's just gonna go BERSERK!
emogrinyesfk7.gif

Unless you can talk him into not taking off his boots and socks! lol

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
I shoulda never brought it up

The more I think about that Billy Jack hat, the more I want another. I wonder if Art can do Indian bead work.
I found a wool felt version for $300+. They claim 30+ hours to make the hat band.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Qwkslvr said:
The more I think about that Billy Jack hat, the more I want another. I wonder if Art can do Indian bead work.
I found a wool felt version for $300+. They claim 30+ hours to make the hat band.

I had a cheapy "Indian Joe" hat when I was in high school. It wasn't as nice as this one.
indianjoe.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
John Wayne had his Cavalry hat
lge_Wayne_070829022614899_wideweb__300x300.jpg

Bogart is remembered for the high crown and wide ribbon
Humphrey%20Bogart%20(Across%20the%20Pacific).jpg

Johnny Depp wears wide brimmed fedoras with a Billy Idol lip curl.
johnny_depp1_300_400.jpg

Roker wears short brimmed low crowned models.
340x.jpg

Gay Talese goes for the low crown brim down all around look.
15_gayt_lgl.jpg

Harrison Ford is known for his cowboy hat in The Frisco Kid
images

Kid Rock is Stingy oversized with the brim up
Kid-Rock-bba01.jpg

And Sean Patrick Flannery is now immortalized by his brown fedora. He is Indiana Jones and wears possibly the most popular hat we know today. Makes it hard to wear a brown fedora and not have someone reference the character.
yij56.jpg
image_youngindianajones_teen1.jpg
sean.jpg

So So what is your signature hat? do you have one? Or are you too various in your wears to be nailed down?

I have a lot of hats, though I guess when it comes down to it, I really go for grey high crowned fedoras.

So what is your signature? what do people most expect to see you wearing?

Last edited:

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

First, I would argue in favour of the Indy fedora as the signature hat of Harrison Ford. I doubt any other hat he may have worn across his movies even comes close.

Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark_101-1.jpg

This said, in my case, I do not think I have, myself, a signature hat, because I have a lot of them and I rotate them very much, daily in fact - so, even in the same week, I rarely use the same hat twice. I like to combine colours with the rest of the wardrobe. But the greater part of them have a brim of more than 2'', and a tall crown with little or no taper, so probably my signature is more about that classic style than about a single hat.

Anyway, your question is intringuing. The people around me (and I would guess, the greater part of all of us) do not have much understanding/perception of "hatology", so it could well be if they were asked about what my signature is, they replied an unexpected thing.

Regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ