Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your signature hat?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
I only got my first real fedoras this past mid-November, so I haven't worn just one enough to be identified with it, but I can feel a special affinity coming on for my Christmas hat, a moonstone grey Akubra Federation IV Deluxe bashed in a simple center crease with front dents, but not a tight center pinch. It's so much the way my dad wore his hats, both in color and bash.

I've found that moonstone is neutral enough to go with almost anything, the hat's brim, crown, and proportions fit me very well, the flexibility of the felt makes it easy to wear the hat in any number of situations, the extra nice sweat band and conforming felt make it feel very soft and comfortable to wear, and the felt feels substantial and luxurious all at once.

Put all that together and it's the hat I want to wear the most when I head out the door, and feels the best when I wear it.

JohninFedIVDlxLB.jpg
JohninFedIVDlxLB-2DS.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Hi,

First, I would argue in favour of the Indy fedora as the signature hat of Harrison Ford. I doubt any other hat he may have worn across his movies even comes close.
I think Matt was messin' with us. As if Patrick Flannery is who we automatically associate with Indiana Jones in a high crowned brown fedora! ;) And the cowboy in Frisco Kid is Harrison Ford's most obscure role outside his TV appearances in the '60s.

tv_kungfu.PNG

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I don't have any vintage hats.. that fit anyways, I've got a large head size... Not that I'm complaining, one will come into my life eventually. I've got a Stetson royal deluxe that may end up being my signature hat once my stretcher comes, but as of now it's my trimmed brim Federation in carbon grey, because, well, it's the only fedora I really wear. Someday I think it may be the open road/campdraft (when I muster up enough money to buy one).

Picture010.jpg

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Half again as long indeed

My signature hat is almost surely The Sesquipedalian, which Mister Fawcett made for me last year and has been the only felt hat that I wear since, although the grey one that he posted to me recently and that should arrive soon might supplant it; I really can't yet say.

Sesquipedalian-Front-Worn.jpg

(I wish that I had a more recent image; I've slightly altered the crease since the above was taken)

Viper Man

Banned
Without question, for me it's a 2" stingy brim porkpie (brim up always). I have about 4-5 vintage ones and the first Art Fawcett custom I ordered was made to the same specs (although with a slightly taller crown and thinner ribbon than my vintage hats).

This particular hat is my "go to" standard...

345027372.jpg

It's a Stetson Fifteen 3X Beaver. I LOVE this hat and it gets more head time than any other in my collection. A close runner up is my Art Fawcett "Southtown".

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Delthayre, do post a new picture if you get a chance. That is the one that I think of as "your" hat and I'd like to see how it looks now.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting thread.... I must remember to ask some friends later as to what they perceive to be my signature hat. Most recently, as I've been wearing the B3 a lot, the hat that I'm most commonly seen sporting is a wool flat cap. That said, what I'm in a real hat ;).... I have a range of go-tos, depending on outfit and colouring, e.g. black homberg is the go-to for black-tie wear. The hats in my small collection that probably get the most wear, though, are my two Federations - both MkIIIs, regular in Carbon Grey, and a Deluxe in Dark Brown. Both have a narrow pinch, a look I favour; the brown is very much modelled after Radiers, while the grey has my take on a diamond bash on the top. Of all the hats I own, and new production models I have seen, the Fed has emerged as a clear favourite, and I foresee that as cashflow allows I will be ordering several more. I am especially keen on a Deluxe in moonstone, perhaps a regular in black, plus several others. The one thing a Federation lacks to be my perfect Fedroa? A wind trolley. I may well eventually pick up a couple of Akubra The Fedoras exclusively for windy day wear.

nola89

Familiar Face
Brims 2" or less, crowns 4 1/2" or less, mild pinch, center dent, about 1 3/4" ribbon, front snap, and NO feathers.

I have way more flat caps than fedoras though.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Interesting thread.... I must remember to ask some friends later as to what they perceive to be my signature hat.

Interesting thought, Edward. In some ways, it's other folks who may have the best perspective on what our signature hats are -- the hats that are most "us."

That being said -- I think RBH got it right all by himself...:D

Cheers,
JtL

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Most folks that know me well enough to say "hey" would just say that the fedora, any fedora, is my signature hat. In fact, they'd say its my signature "look"...Personally, I like the brims to be in the 2.5" to 2.75" range and favor a teardrop bash with other brim widths/bash styles offered up as a change of pace...

A Schoble Warburton is one of my favorites...
jehoss

jpbales

Practically Family
my signature hat...

well, I suppose that hats themselves are my signature! Here in Georgia, I rarely see hats, much less any decent ones, or any worn by younger people. Out of the ones I have, I wear my carbon gray Federation IV the most.

Katieaftergraduation.jpg

Katieaftergraduation2.jpg

I usually keep a "Semper Fi" pin in bow, but occasionally I change it up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot