Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did eyeglass frames branch out?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
A little bit of background:

As someone whose face simply does not suit classic eyeglass frames-- round make me look like either a serial killer or simply bloated, ovals too feminine-- I'm someone on the lookout for "almost classic style" glasses. I seem to have found the perfect shape-- a near oval with some angles on it that don't make my features appear too soft--but really the only colors that look good on my face are a bronze/brass and black. Silver washes me out terribly (once again into serial killer territory), and gold kind of blends in with my face and gives me a kind of sallow appearance. I tried hornrims, but I've got a bump on the bridge of my nose that, while not readibly noticeable, makes wearing padless glasses next to impossible and very uncomfortable. Unless I'm missing out on something, my glasses probably couldn't pass retro scrutiny. (Pic here: http://a406.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_77531775ea307dae6e5b29af8c6f10dd.jpg)

So onto my question: When did metal eyeglasses begin to branch out from the classic silver/gold-round/oval combinations? I found a photo in a book at Barnes and Noble of a Sicilian Mafia trial in the 1960s in which one of the defendants is wearing a pair of glasses almost identical to those in my picture, so I know that the style isn't terribly modern. Were they a product of the "Granny Glasses" of that decade, or were Golden Era specs more diverse than I've been led to believe?

Small edit: The photo was black and white, so I couldn't tell if the frames were actually black, or simply a dark metal. Anyone knew when the trend began of painting steel rims black?

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I'd say that modern metal eyeglasses started showing up as a widespread style right around 1970 (maybe late sixties). When I started wearing glasses :eusa_doh: in the mid sixties the most popular style seemed to be black horned rims (think Drew Carey). By the early seventies metal rims had taken over. However most metal rims were heavy and together with glass (not plastic) lenses made for heavy eyeglasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo