Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did young people stop wearing hats?

Byrne Sherwood said:
When I wear a nice hat, I get more compliments from black women than anyone else.

I do as well. Those are probably the best compliments you can get because they know what they are talking about coming from the background that you describe. They know hats more than the average Joe ont he street.
Then again, I have gotten the same thing from white women who ask:
"Why don't men wear more real hats? They looks so good."
As far as I am concerned a compliment is a compliment. I take them wherever I can find them. ;)

Regards,

J

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Byrne Sherwood said:
It might be worth noting that black folks seemd to keep wearing hats longer that whites. You see plenty of hats in photos from the civil rights era. Even today, blacks seem more likely that whites to wear traditional hats & caps. Although the baseball hat prevails, I have seen plenty of black celebrities sporting nice fedoras. When I wear a nice hat, I get more compliments from black women than anyone else.

Agreed... I was just thinking that yesterday when I saw a black lady in the store wearing a nice red straw hat. You will notice this as well in areas that have a higher black population, the (department) stores carry a lot more hats that are stylish versus the common functional straw hats for outdoor activities.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I don't live where there are very many black people and most of the compliments I get for my hats are from older folks(not always).

" Very few kids( rich kids) had fedoras to go with their suits for Sunday. By the mid 60s Kennedy's influence had killed the fedora for mens' wear. But there was never some magic age when youths of the era transitioned to fedora wear as adults."[/QUOTE]

The old Hardy Boy books from the late 20's and 30's always have on the cover, Frank with fedora, Joe without. But like you said could just be the more well to do. And also the Hardy boys are not reall life, they are just the ideal american boy of the period. I guess I will just have to be the ideal.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I work at a "HBCU" Historically Black College or University. And I get compliments, almost DAILY on my hats. My normal hat is a tan New York wool with a 1 inch brown ribbon OR a Dorfman Pacific Indy. The ONLY person who still dislikes my hats is MrsRedPop4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran