Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does it become a costume?

jac

Familiar Face
Still no one has broached the terms Outfit, or Drag....

Gibson is nice, Fender is nice, but keep your hands off my old Guild Dreadnaught!

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Torpedo said:
Well, I think we should take active part in that crusade and lead with the example. Unless there is a dress code that precludes such; or doing so would be incongruous or inapropriate for our line of work, it can be done, providing you are confident with it and regular and coherent in your purpose.

It may help if you do it by increments; this may serve to "test the waters", gain confidence, and ease the change. I mean, appearing with a suit and bowtie, when your usual attire up to that moment consisted of trainers, jeans and t-shirts will elicit more reaction that graduating it with, say, starting with shoes, then sport coats, next ties, etc.

Where I work, very casual is the common standard of dress; although shorts and sandals are not allowed, pretty much anything over this is acceptable. Trainers, T-shirts, cargo pants and jeans are widespread; even Dockers-style trousers and shirts are comparatively little favoured, and sports (suit-type) jackets are rare. Ties are pretty nonexistent, as are suits. Only a few executives in the higher scale use those, and not all of them on a regular basis.

Well, I wear suit or sport jackets with odd trousers, either pleated or Dockers-style, plus tie or bowtie and, most days, a pocket square; occassionally, a suit. Also, a fedora or a 8-panel or flat cap, although these I wear to and from the work place, but not, usually, during the job hours. I introduced all of these by the "gradual" schedule outlined above. Hats and ties/bowties are almost always vintage, as are some of the jackets, other elements are retro or just mainstream.

Yes, it drew some comments, and some puns (flattering remarks too), but eventually people got used. It became my "normal" image, the one my co-workers are used to: a reconigzable style associated with me.

It draws attention, but it can be done.

One thing I genuinely believe is helpful is that you should NEVER frown upon what others co-worker wear, as opposed to what you wear (unless in response to puns, if adequate, and even then, carefully, because other people's comments are rarely ill-intentioned); you should not behave as if you look down on the others because they do not dress like you think they should. There's no need to antagonize anyone because of an attitude that would be perceived as haughty. This would not serve your purpose. If someone prompts you to discuss why you choose to dress that way, it is the moment to talk about your reasons, but do it in a positive, constructive way, not demeaning to other persons' choices.

Set an example. ;)

Quite right and thank you for your advice, Torpedo. That's just the way I'm taking and the kind of environment I'm in.

Casual and jeans are the most common atire at the office. Outdoor wear too, because we are ecologists, geologists and that sort of professionals, and we often go out for work. So nobody expects to see one of us with a jacket and tie or a pinstripe suit, which, in the other hand are usually worn by engineers, executives and administration staff.

That's the reason why I compared a DB suit with a costume,:( never meant it were.
Italian-wiseguy said: I have noticed DB suits sometimes mentioned as potentially "costumey";
I have one (just one[huh] ) and don't ever think to wear it at the office, but don't consider it either a "costume" it's just a different outfit for a different ocassion.

norton

One of the Regulars
I'm going to say that it becomes a costume when you want it to.

For example, I usually wear a two piece suit to work, which is not inappropriate given my job although no one else in the office even wears a tie. Tomorrow I'm going to a wedding and had planned on wearing a suit I usually wear to work but adding the matching vest as the wedding is more formal than work and the vest would not be inappropriate.

Now my wife tells me that the reception is a masquerade and that we're supposed to wear some items of costume, yet still dress semi-formally.

My solution is to dress exactly as I had planned, with the addition of my fedora which I wouldn't normally wear indoors. I think I'll say I'm Sam Spade or Michael Sullivan or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925