When does it become a costume?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by gfirob, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'll have to look at the rest of the postings, but on the basis of that one alone ('never a tie and handkerchief together' for instance) he reads more like someone who is frightened of individuality rather than someone who embraces it on any level.

2. Flitcraft

Flitcraft One Too Many

Edward...

I have to agree with you to a point. He's based in London and works in fashion, so I would expect either a little more embracing of cutting edge, or a stricter adherence to classic style... he seems to go both ways...[huh]

3. P5640blouson

P5640blouson One of the Regulars

Its costume when it can get you into trouble...

Its costume when it can get you into trouble with either the law for impersonation of an exclusive or official entity, or if it can compromise your preferred social or professional standing, IMO :)

4. volatile

volatile A-List Customer

Bbbbbuuuttt! He wears Converse with a suit! How's about that for daring and original? :rolleyes:

5. "I wear this on the 4/5 Mornings it is cold enough to ride the Train to work I look "Odd" "Eccentric" but that's OK, But if i wore a straw Boater, my fellow commuters would smile at each other and say "Oh My God, the Swan River Colony is not going to be subjected to another revival of "The Boyfriend" by Binkie and the Swan river Light Opera Company (inc)

[​IMG]

6. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

I was thinking more Bud Flanagan... ;)

To answer the original poster, it becomes a costume when we decide to buck fashions and/or contemporaneous dress codes.

That's why we're all here, I should think.

7. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues My Mail is Forwarded Here

Simply dressing against "code" speaks to style rather than costume.

8. Creeping Past

IMO, not in the eyes of most non-style-aware beholders. To most people, we're showy dressers-up. Costumed ones.

9. Carlisle Blues

Interesting, when I dressed in a suit as a teenager I clearly bucked the "code". I was not hurting for girl friends and I received a great deal of respect from those who were in my social circle. Of course, there were two guys who had no concept of what I was doing, but, then again they were on the periphery of any social circles. They were the odd balls.

10. Creeping Past

If you're 'in' socially, you can do what you like. That's my jaundiced opinion, from experience, of school social groupings. However, even if you're the most popular kid in school, it doesn't make non-standard clothing less of costumey in the eyes of those without a bent for style.

Is your point that it only becomes costume when perceived as an 'oddball' trait?

11. A time and a place for everything

Just so. I am wearing the Indy Magnoli "Maltese Falcon" tie today, at my bank job desk. If I had worn the peaked lapel suit, no one would have said anything but they would have put another tic mark "eccentric" next to my name in their mental file on me. Do I care? Yes, of course. I am part of a team here and accept the folkways. I can wear a trench or vintage overcoat in winter along with a nicely bashed fedora and no one will really notice because of my age (56 today!) and short hair. I'm just an older duffer keeping warm. But there is a limit appropriate to time and place. A business cocktail party? I'd risk a bow tie. A private affair? I might wear a vintage suit, but not to the company affair. Could I? Maybe but I am not here to call attention to myself. I admit this distinction may not fall within the original parameters of the thread. Sorry.

12. Carlisle Blues

No not at all...........In fact, I celebrate individualism in clothing, manner and intellect. It becomes a costume when the clothing itself is worn in an effort to be an obtuse topic, rather than make a fashion or stylistic statement.

13. Creeping Past

I guess my point was that any deviation from the norm is regarded as anything from a colourful eccentricity (generally tolerated) to an obtuse disregard of the norm (generally not tolerated), nothwithstanding the style element of the statement.

To stand out in any way is to differentiate yourself on purpose.

I think we're probably arguing for the same thing...

14. "Surely it becomes a "Costume" when the ensemble wears "You" rather than you wearing the" Ensemble"

15. Carlisle Blues

I disagree.

Binkie said it quite right

16. Edward

Edward Bartender

lol I Thought so too when I was doing it in 1989.... lol

17. Carlisle Blues

^
    ^
    Some believe the NYC transit strike of 1980 ushered in the running shoes-business attire look.....:)

18. adamjaskie

adamjaskie One of the Regulars

"Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way." -Jane Austen, Emma

19. Richard Warren

Richard Warren Practically Family

As with so many seemingly qualitative questions, this one can be solved quantitatively. That is, if you are wearing what everyone else in your social/professional milieu is wearing, it is not a costume. Otherwise, it is.

20. Carlisle Blues

According to your theory this is not a costume.....lol lol lol lol
    [​IMG]