Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does it become a costume?

Edward

Bartender
Flitcraft said:
You're right- I don't completely agree with him, either, but he's a guy who's trying to inject some individualism into his daily clothing choices, while still being taken seriously in a business context... so , he brings up some good points. Much as I extoll the virtues of expressing your individual taste, if the way you dress is too distracting, its hard to make the impression you want in a business setting.

I'll have to look at the rest of the postings, but on the basis of that one alone ('never a tie and handkerchief together' for instance) he reads more like someone who is frightened of individuality rather than someone who embraces it on any level.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Edward...

I have to agree with you to a point. He's based in London and works in fashion, so I would expect either a little more embracing of cutting edge, or a stricter adherence to classic style... he seems to go both ways...[huh]

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Its costume when it can get you into trouble...

Its costume when it can get you into trouble with either the law for impersonation of an exclusive or official entity, or if it can compromise your preferred social or professional standing, IMO :)

volatile

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I'll have to look at the rest of the postings, but on the basis of that one alone ('never a tiie and handkerchief together' for instance) he reads more like someone who is firghtened of individuality rather than someone who embraces it on any level.

Bbbbbuuuttt! He wears Converse with a suit! How's about that for daring and original? :rolleyes:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I wear this on the 4/5 Mornings it is cold enough to ride the Train to work I look "Odd" "Eccentric" but that's OK, But if i wore a straw Boater, my fellow commuters would smile at each other and say "Oh My God, the Swan River Colony is not going to be subjected to another revival of "The Boyfriend" by Binkie and the Swan river Light Opera Company (inc)

3472453938_620d19b9e6.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I was thinking more Bud Flanagan... ;)

To answer the original poster, it becomes a costume when we decide to buck fashions and/or contemporaneous dress codes.

That's why we're all here, I should think.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
Simply dressing against "code" speaks to style rather than costume.

IMO, not in the eyes of most non-style-aware beholders. To most people, we're showy dressers-up. Costumed ones.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Creeping Past said:
IHO, not in the eyes of most non-style-aware beholders. To most people, we're showy dressers-up. Costumed ones.

Interesting, when I dressed in a suit as a teenager I clearly bucked the "code". I was not hurting for girl friends and I received a great deal of respect from those who were in my social circle. Of course, there were two guys who had no concept of what I was doing, but, then again they were on the periphery of any social circles. They were the odd balls.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
Interesting, when I dressed in a suit as a teenager I clearly bucked the "code". I was not hurting for girl friends and I received a great deal of respect from those who were in my social circle. Of course, there were two guys who had no concept of what I was doing, but, then again they were on the periphery of any social circles. They were the odd balls.

If you're 'in' socially, you can do what you like. That's my jaundiced opinion, from experience, of school social groupings. However, even if you're the most popular kid in school, it doesn't make non-standard clothing less of costumey in the eyes of those without a bent for style.

Is your point that it only becomes costume when perceived as an 'oddball' trait?

filfoster

One Too Many
A time and a place for everything

P5640blouson said:
Its costume when it can get you into trouble with either the law for impersonation of an exclusive or official entity, or if it can compromise your preferred social or professional standing, IMO :)
Just so. I am wearing the Indy Magnoli "Maltese Falcon" tie today, at my bank job desk. If I had worn the peaked lapel suit, no one would have said anything but they would have put another tic mark "eccentric" next to my name in their mental file on me. Do I care? Yes, of course. I am part of a team here and accept the folkways. I can wear a trench or vintage overcoat in winter along with a nicely bashed fedora and no one will really notice because of my age (56 today!) and short hair. I'm just an older duffer keeping warm. But there is a limit appropriate to time and place. A business cocktail party? I'd risk a bow tie. A private affair? I might wear a vintage suit, but not to the company affair. Could I? Maybe but I am not here to call attention to myself. I admit this distinction may not fall within the original parameters of the thread. Sorry.

Carlisle Blues

Creeping Past said:
Is your point that it only becomes costume when perceived as an 'oddball' trait?

No not at all...........In fact, I celebrate individualism in clothing, manner and intellect. It becomes a costume when the clothing itself is worn in an effort to be an obtuse topic, rather than make a fashion or stylistic statement.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
It becomes a costume when the clothing itself is worn in an effort to be an obtuse topic, rather than make a fashion or stylistic statement.

I guess my point was that any deviation from the norm is regarded as anything from a colourful eccentricity (generally tolerated) to an obtuse disregard of the norm (generally not tolerated), nothwithstanding the style element of the statement.

To stand out in any way is to differentiate yourself on purpose.

I think we're probably arguing for the same thing...

Carlisle Blues

Creeping Past said:
I guess my point was that any deviation from the norm is regarded as anything from a colourful eccentricity (generally tolerated) to an obtuse disregard of the norm (generally not tolerated), nothwithstanding the style element of the statement.

To stand out in any way is to differentiate yourself on purpose.

I think we're probably arguing for the same thing...

I disagree.

Binkie said it quite right

BinkieBaumont said:
"Surely it becomes a "Costume" when the ensemble wears "You" rather than you wearing the" Ensemble"

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
When a "costumey" outfit is deliberately such, it's just good fun (usually), but when it isn't, well, it can be kinda sad.

"Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way." -Jane Austen, Emma

Richard Warren

Practically Family
As with so many seemingly qualitative questions, this one can be solved quantitatively. That is, if you are wearing what everyone else in your social/professional milieu is wearing, it is not a costume. Otherwise, it is.

Carlisle Blues

Richard Warren said:
As with so many seemingly qualitative questions, this one can be solved quantitatively. That is, if you are wearing what everyone else in your social/professional milieu is wearing, it is not a costume. Otherwise, it is.

According to your theory this is not a costume.....lol lol lol lol
3957.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana