Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When it rains, it pours! B-25 ride anyone?

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I tell you what - Something in the air is being good to me! Within the last six months I have flown in two vintage biplanes, a B-17 and two civilian aircraft and had the pleasure of crawling through another B-17, a B-24 and a 1938 DC-3 and taken a tour of the Lockheed Martin plant where they're building the F-22 and C-130. Today I spent my lunch hour outside the newspaper building here in Marietta watching the Blue Angels practice literally over my head - so close I could see the pilots and READ the wing lettering...AND NOW it gets better!

Today my editor asked me innocuously, "Do you have any interest in flying in a B-22?" I said, "B-22??? Do you mean B-24?" "No, hold on....I mean a B-25." "Heck yeah I would have interest!"

Tomorrow morning I may be taking to the skies in a bonafide B-25 Mitchell! I humbly ask everyone to cross their fingers for me. I'll bring back MANY photos.

Mike

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

I'm so jealous!

I actually work a couple of hundred yards from Moffett Field in California. Our office is frequently 'buzzed' by various jet aircraft during the week. The fun part, however, occurs right before an air show. The Blue Angles/Thunderbirds come around every so often. Boy, can they make a lot of noise!

Paul-

PS. I have a couple of uncles who were in the Royal Canadian Air Force. One of them was a navigator. On one occasion, his plane was coming in for a landing and the engine stalled. The pilot said "go" or "jump" or whatever, and my uncle did as he was instructed. Just as he was leaving the plane, the engine started up again and the pilot was able to land the plane. My uncle was kidded about that for years!

Speedster

Practically Family
Lucky you...congratulations

I will cross my fingers. WOW, a B-25. The Mitchell is one of my all time favourite bombers of all time. I envy you. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
If it is good enough for Jimmy Doolittle, then it is good enough for me. I just love the B-25. Long live the 42nd Bomb Group (M), 13th "Jungle" Air Force. The Crusaders were some of the best and even had a few of Jimmy's boys from the Tokyo Raid as part of their group. Hope your flight went well and as always, I am jealous.

GG

warbird

One Too Many
They would take a beating. But, they were a difficult plane to fly. During the war the training was done inn Tampa. The old saying among the pilots was 'one a day in Tampa Bay'. A lot of them were ditched. They took off and landed awkwardly and never flew with a level attitude properly. To fly stright and maintain altitude they had to be trimmed to fly slightly nose up.

It was a neat experience for you I'm sure. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Any flight or ride in a warbird is an experience you'l never forget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy