When Travel was Romantic

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by 4drymartinis, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

2. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

I regret to opine that, in hindsight, roughly 1960 to 2020 might be remembered as the Golden Age of Travel; i.e.- the window when airfare was affordable and accessible to most people. I keep reading about how things will be different in the post-pandemic world and it is depressing. No more cheap flights to Europe, packed in tightly with 300 other working Joes/Janes. I've read several articles about how Venice wants tourists back, but only the high-end ones. It will keep the congestion down, don't you know, and help with the social-distancing that is required to contain future pandemics. Additionally with the elimination of middle-seats on planes and other social distancing ideas, airlines will only be able to pack in 60% of the number of pre-pandemic passengers. Airlines are complaining about this and travel analysts are saying ticket prices will have to go up significantly. Depressing.

3. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

Fading Fast likes this.
  4. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

Hooray! They are reviving the Vienna to Paris sleeper train! Reminds me of my much younger days when, traveling with long hair and a backpack, I’d occasionally take advantage of a sleeping compartment to sleep and wake up in a new city. Cheap airfares are fine, but there is something romantic about overnight trains. Typically you get in very early and have a chance to experience the city while it’s still empty and just waking up.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-zurich-paris-france-austria-212b75f5eb65f5acfee0938cc80a8bf5

Fading Fast likes this.
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

That's exciting news.

Very early morning is one of my favorite times to experience a city.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  6. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Call Me a Cab

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I flew to Europe for the first time in the late 1960's....stopping to refuel in Keflavik. To me flight was never romantic.....even back then it was about as romantic as Greyhound bus travel but admittedly a quicker way to get to Europe. I remember the BOAC stewardesses walking the aisles passing out cigarettes to all that wanted to smoke. That must have been a treat to the non smokers on the flights. Then returning one trip from the UK not too long after Laila Khaled & the PLO hijacked a plane I had my first brush with a full body pat down before entering the plane. I would probably still be in jail if they had found the EDC I carried in my boot.