Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When wearing shorts become acceptable for grown men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
I don't understand how this mis-information has spread. Because a few people don't like to see men in shorts, they bandy around these notions that no man in the golden era wore shorts. People seem perfectly happy to make up "truth" to suit their own prejudices.

They're just like denim in that respect. Except I personally would be seen (dead or alive) in denim. ;)

Edward

Bartender
It's all about where and when you wear them, and how the shorts are cut.

I'm rather keen on tailored shorts and wear them regularly in the summer (and even during the rest of the year if I'm on my bike). I actually think the styles as shown in the 'Dress Reform party' photos are good. I don't have the best legs in the world, but it's something i would consider wearing. I even think a suit in that style would look rather dashing if worn for a wedding (as long as it was somewhere really hot).

Shorts suit? Just make sure Sir doesn't catch you without you cap on! ;)

Feraud

Bartender
It's all about where and when you wear them, and how the shorts are cut.

Agreed. For every faux pas committed with a pair of shorts I've seen an equal number committed by those trying to play dress up.
Bad style choices happen in every area of dress. It's just one of those things..

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I'll admit it:
I have a problem with men wearing shorts and flip flops to church.
I'm not judging their reasons for being there, I just don't get that level of casualness.
I'm a fairly recent (1 year) transplant from Anchorage, Alaska to Houston, Texas were it's typical to see upper 90's and low 100's temperatures in summer. My body has not completely acclimated to this new climate yet so I get overheated if I don't take precautions with my wardrobe. During the summer, I'm most often in shorts and flip-flops; however...

I agree with you 100%. The church is air conditioned so unless it's a very hot outside event (e.g. picnic, etc.), I don't think shorts and flip-flips are ever appropriate at church. I've never seen men at my church dressing that way and I wouldn't think of doing it myself. I'm a musician in the worship band so I'm on stage and would NEVER take that kind of liberty; however, even if/when I'm not providing music for a service, I'd never dress like that at church. I'd rather sweat for a couple of hours and look respectable than to put comfort first and look like I just stopped in on my way to the beach.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a fairly recent (1 year) transplant from Anchorage, Alaska to Houston, Texas were it's typical to see upper 90's and low 100's temperatures in summer. My body has not completely acclimated to this new climate yet so I get overheated if I don't take precautions with my wardrobe. During the summer, I'm most often in shorts and flip-flops; however...

I agree with you 100%. The church is air conditioned so unless it's a very hot outside event (e.g. picnic, etc.), I don't think shorts and flip-flips are ever appropriate at church. I've never seen men at my church dressing that way and I wouldn't think of doing it myself. I'm a musician in the worship band so I'm on stage and would NEVER take that kind of liberty; however, even if/when I'm not providing music for a service, I'd never dress like that at church. I'd rather sweat for a couple of hours and look respectable than to put comfort first and look like I just stopped in on my way to the beach.

Hi

Maybe that's why everyone back in the early part of the last century was skinnier, they were wearing a suit and tie to church for two or three hours a week with no air-conditioning. Back in the 1980's and before, everyone I knew wore a suit to church most Sundays.

later

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
In the UK I think it was slightly different, the health, hiking and cycling movement meant many men and women wore shorts, my wife's grandfather was a brickie and he wore them much of the year, then he was called up during ww2 served in the paratroopers all over Europe then was sent to Palestine until 49 I've never seen a picture of him wearing long trousers!

VintageBee

One of the Regulars

I agree with you all around. My husband NEVER wore shorts since leaving high school gym class UNTIL he went to Mexico fishing ten years ago...and then never wore them here until the past year and even then the weather has to be 100!! Otherwise wrangler jeans everyday! Bless his heart, he did try wearing a suit to church for awhile but it's just not him. I'm not sure who felt more out of place, him or me! Church attire for him is Sunday-only wranglers, dress boots, proper western shirt and vest, pocket watch is mandatory everyday as is his pocketknife. I wear what he calls my 'June Cleaver' dresses and he's pleased as punch :D
I guess more than the shorts it's the casualness of dress that bothers me...the women wear shorts to church too :-/

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
Hi

Maybe that's why everyone back in the early part of the last century was skinnier, they were wearing a suit and tie to church for two or three hours a week with no air-conditioning. Back in the 1980's and before, everyone I knew wore a suit to church most Sundays.

later

LOL!! If that's all it takes to lose weight, hubby may go back to the suit for the few months left of summer!!! :D

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Yes.

I will not begrudge anyone here for their pantses.

However, when I was a boy in London, back in the day, at a certain age we earned our 'big boy' pants. We never looked back.

When I lived in the southern US, being a tad older, I wore them often. In public. It was HOT!

Now, being gently curmudgeonly, I have not worn them in many years.

(My observation is: Being obese Americans, we can't struggle that hard to pull up 'full' pants. And that greasy, stained, white T-shirt? We change that every week, or two, whether it needs it or not.

(I've still got most of my English Scout uniform (with short pants!). If there has not been a thread on this yet, we should post pictures. Being a Scout in the Downtown area, we usually just caused mayhem and havoc. Camping was secondary. For some reason, when we did actually go into the country, catching and eating eels was what we did. I don't know why. I didn't like them then and I surely don't like them now. )

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
...I wear what he calls my 'June Cleaver' dresses and he's pleased as punch...
Of that's the style I'm thinking of, I call them "I Love Lucy" dresses and let the record show that those are the sexiest dresses to ever grace the female form. I've been trying to find some that I really like to get for my wife. Women don't wear dresses enough anymore, in my opinion.

Metatron

One Too Many
Ah, my favorite recurring thread.

Yes, imagine how foolish my father must have looked in his shorts. The former Marine and Vietnam veteran. The Captain in the large metropolitan fire department. How foolish he must have looked in his shorts as he worked his second job to provide better Christmases and birthdays for my brother, my mother, and myself. How he must have cut the figure of the overgrown frat boy as he worked the steel in the arena, hundreds off feet off the ground. How absurd he must have appeared to so many, so much more cultured, as he climbed through those trusses with no safety in the 100+ degrees.
It embarrasses me even now, as I type this... I shudder to think that, after twenty-four hours on shift he could even consider wearing shorts. It's almost too repugnant to contemplate. Surely you would think such a man, accustom as he was to all those years in uniform, and sometimes bunker pants and turnout boots, heavy coat in the heat of August... you would think that for just one second, at least, he would consider having the common decency not to wear something a horrible as shorts.
But no; he was trapped in his eternal desire to be fourteen.
Indeed. Imagine, as I hid my face in shame when, even after working two jobs, he would show up to coach my or my brother's baseball team - IN SHORTS! The horror. Such a man surely deserves the anonymous ridicule of his betters.
Surely I should take the time to pass these nuggets along to him tomorrow.
After such an empty and useless life spent trying to recapture his youth, I'm sure he would want to thank each of you, individually.

:eusa_clap

What does 'worked the steel in the arena' mean?

Men's Dress Reform Party (1930)

mdrp.jpg

I've only just realised that this was 'a thing'. Very fascinating. They would have certainly liked modern casual fashion.

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
Of that's the style I'm thinking of, I call them "I Love Lucy" dresses and let the record show that those are the sexiest dresses to ever grace the female form. I've been trying to find some that I really like to get for my wife. Women don't wear dresses enough anymore, in my opinion.
I find them at thrift stores. It's really hit and miss though. I can sew and have a vintage pattern that fits me just right so I will make two new dresses soon but usually it's a thrifted dress for me, June or Lucy inspired!

p51

One Too Many
I find it funny that many here who feel that shorts are the ultimate source of all the anguish in the world appear to live in more temperate climates.
I do, however, agree with all who have posted that there's a time and a place for them. Church? No freaking way, in my opinion.
I pose it to you all that if many of these same people live in, say, Miami, that they wouldn't be quite so smug about them...
I wore shorts a lot growing up in Florida in the 70s (where many people I knew couldn't afford air conditioning) and I still do when it's warm. But I live in the Pacific NW now, the appropriate weather for them is a... short season. :eusa_doh:

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
I find it funny that many here who feel that shorts are the ultimate source of all the anguish in the world appear to live in more temperate climates.
I do, however, agree with all who have posted that there's a time and a place for them. Church? No freaking way, in my opinion.
I pose it to you all that if many of these same people live in, say, Miami, that they wouldn't be quite so smug about them...
I wore shorts a lot growing up in Florida in the 70s (where many people I knew couldn't afford air conditioning) and I still do when it's warm. But I live in the Pacific NW now, the appropriate weather for them is a... short season. :eusa_doh:

My neighbor, originally from Minnesota, says California is too hot year 'round', hence he is in shorts in the winter
He left Minnesota maaaaaany years ago! But to each his own:) I still have a problem with theming church though. Call me old fashioned. It's okay, I consider it a compliment!
When Kate and William had baby George, the bells were rung...a photo in the British papers showed the casual attire of the bell ringers...with one barefoot, another in shorts even!!!
I. Cannot. Believe HRH approved!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot