Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When??!!

Emailed Aero about a jacket order. Received the reply that they were out of their office for their annual summer break, would be back on 1/8/11.

First thought...say what? January isn't "summer"...and that date has already gone by.
Then I recalled George Bernard Shaw's quote;

"IEngland and America are two countries separated by the same language."

Or at least a different way of noting dates.
(Apologies to our Scottish members. I know Scotland isn't England.....but same issue here. :D)

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Emailed Aero about a jacket order. Received the reply that they were out of their office for their annual summer break, would be back on 1/8/11.

First thought...say what? January isn't "summer"...and that date has already gone by.

(Apologies to our Scottish members. I know Scotland isn't England.....but same issue here. :D)

1/8/11 = 1 August 2011

This always slows me down when reading WWII histories. One must shift gears.

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer

Ha ha. I was just reading the same email reply and had the same reaction...

It does makes more sense to order from smallest to greatest unit of measurement, in my opinion. I always prefer writing, e.g. "1 August 2011" as opposed to the American "August 1, 2011."

Originally ordered 8/2010.
Contacted them about 8 weeks ago asking about the order.
Heard back the first week of June, noting it turned out they could no longer get the color leather in I had originally ordered..apologized nobody had contacted me about it, asked if I wanted to go with another shade of brown. I said yes, please.
Heard from them again about 10 days later, mid June, that my jacket was "in production".
Didn't hear from them for the next month.
Contacted them a couple of weeks ago asking about the jacket.
Reply noted the jacket was "31% done".
I take that to mean that the jacket is part of a shipment of many other jackets being made in El Salvador that won't ship till they are all done. If that is the case, I would expect it to arrive in the US in about 6 weeks. Then it has to clear customs, get picked up and taken to the Vanson shop for final shipping to me.
I'm estimating it will be somewhere around 12 + months from the time I placed the order till I finally receive it.
It was a "custom order". It was a standard jacket, with the only "customization" being I ordered it in a color of brown they offered at that time (Walnut brown...actually recommended by the Vanson rep I was dealing with). As I recall, they charged an extra 15% for the different color leather.
In dealing with them these past few months, what with the delays and lack of communication when they couldn't get the original color in, they have noted they will not be charging me that extra 15%.

Last edited:
I'd never put up with that for a jacket. Late is one thing, but a year? Maybe longer? Not a chance. You're a patient fella.

Originally ordered 8/2010.
Contacted them about 8 weeks ago asking about the order.
Heard back the first week of June, noting it turned out they could no longer get the color leather in I had originally ordered..apologized nobody had contacted me about it, asked if I wanted to go with another shade of brown. I said yes, please.
Heard from them again about 10 days later, mid June, that my jacket was "in production".
Didn't hear from them for the next month.
Contacted them a couple of weeks ago asking about the jacket.
I take that to mean that the jacket is part of a shipment of many other jackets being made in El Salvador that won't ship till they are all done. If that is the case, I would expect it to arrive in the US in about 6 weeks. Then it has to clear customs, get picked up and taken to the Vanson shop for final shipping to me.
I'm estimating it will be somewhere around 12 + months from the time I placed the order till I finally receive it.
It was a "custom order". It was a standard jacket, with the only "customization" being I ordered it in a color of brown they offered at that time (Walnut brown...actually recommended by the Vanson rep I was dealing with). As I recall, they charged an extra 15% for the different color leather.
In dealing with them these past few months, what with the delays and lack of communication when they couldn't get the original color in, they have noted they will not be charging me that extra 15%.

I'd never put up with that for a jacket. Late is one thing, but a year? Maybe longer? Not a chance. You're a patient fella.

Heard from them twice now recently that they have "had problems with their leather suppliers".
Heard from them a 11 months ago, when I asked them about reports of lengthy wait times for orders (their estimate at that time for my order was 3 to 4 months. Little did I know....) that they had a large Japanese order that they had just filled....and reported delays were due to having to wait for their leather supplies to be replenished. If I recall correctly, they commented that they (or at least the person I was dealing with) didn't know when their supplies of leather would be coming in. They "use up the leather on a big order...then have to wait".

I have never had such problems with any of the other leather jacket manufacturers I have dealt with (Incl. Aero, Langlitz, Eastman) nor read of others having such problems.
So.....who knows.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Ha ha. I was just reading the same email reply and had the same reaction...

It does makes more sense to order from smallest to greatest unit of measurement, in my opinion. I always prefer writing, e.g. "1 August 2011" as opposed to the American "August 1, 2011."

That's how I was taught in my (U.S.) engineering graphics classes too. I'd put 1AUG11 on a drawing to avoid future confusion. Though I'm sure somewhere out there some brainiac might mistake that for August 11, 2001lol

LOL, that's really pinning it down:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot