Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the B3 jackets ??

rnx

New in Town
H.Johnson said:
CP,
The waist and collar straps were cut for me by a friend who makes harnesses for bull terriers. The buckles come from a manufacturer of 'high end' reproductions and the (double-marked) Talon zipper was recycled from a B-3.
The 'snaps' came from Hobbycraft.

I would appreciate, if you could tell me, where did you got these buckles - do this manufacturer have any website or e-mail address? I haven't seen any buckle from any manufacturer that would be close to the originals yet.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It is at their discretion. I counted the founder as a friend. I did him favours, he returned the compliment.

He showed me how to do the 'glover's stitch' properly, too and helped me with general advice on construction. Oh, and let me have a triple-marked Talon zip. A great bloke.

Naphtali

Practically Family
One question asked that has not been addressed: How true to size are B3s from these makers? That is, a person who wears a suit jacket/sport coat in size 40/42/44/[fill in the blank] - is this the size to be ordered/obtained from:

- Aero

- Cirrus

- Eastman

- Real McCoy

zoran

Banned
Absolutely... it always amuses me the we all (and I very much include myself in this) can be so hung up on getting the details "right"..... and then you see all sorts of unofficial field modifications on original jackets....! lol

I'd definitely go a size up if you're looking to be able to fit a sweater underneath. My B3 is actually a Lost Worlds model, which I bought from fellow Lounger John Lever. I wore it almost exclusively all last Winter in the end. It is a size 44 chest (UK/US sizing - in Germany that would make it a 54); I normally wear a 42R in a suitcoat, but wanted the extra space for a jumper. As it turned out, I don't think I ever felt the need of both a heavy sweater and a shirt underneath this beast! I put some photos up of me wearing this jacket when I first got it, with just a t shirt underneath. This should give you some idea of the fit - I think the ELC offerings are reasonably comparable in that way. Aero also do very nice looking redskin B3s - I don't know how they compare to the ELC in terms of quality and accuracy. Aero's Irvins always look a little too skinny-fit in the sleeves to my eye, but their B3s look great - that's as far as I can comment on them.

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008018.jpg

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008017.jpg

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008021.jpg

Cats also love it - these girls will still sleep on it given half a chance, though they're an awful lot bigger than they were this time last year!

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008002.jpg

I had similar doubts as yourself with respect to colours when I first started looking at B3s. I became more open to the idea of the two tone as it would be another point of difference with an Irvin (a craven attempt to hlep justify that future purchase!); in the end, the offer of the jacket from John came up and was too good to turn down. I really wasn't sure about the light straps, but when it arrived again I really liked them in person, so haven't attempted to dye them or anything. If you want a one-colour all over, though, the redskin style looks great - I would eventually like to pick up a B6 in that one.

zoran

Banned
Hello.What is the exact weight on Lost Worlds B3?
Is it more than 4 kilos?
Did you measure it?
Thanks.
Zoran.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou