Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do FL readers stand on tattooing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I have one single tattoo on my back between my shoulder blades. I choose that spot so that it wouldnt show unless I chose to wear a tank top or something that would show it, when and if I wanted to show it.

It took me about a year to decide what I wanted, and I eventually choose a piece of art by one of my favorite artists, Alexander Calder. He was an Abstract Kinetic artist, and a memeber of the abstraction-creation group in paris in the 1930's. (also the inventor of the mobile!) It took me a while to decide which Calder painting I wanted done, as there are several that I really liked... I really like his use of primary colors, so I decided on one of my favorites, and probably one of his most recognized works "Sunbust" although I really liked "sky swirl" and "convection" too. I'd take a picture, except that its kinda hard to take a picture of a tattoo on your back.

I've considered getting another tattoo, but I'd have to think really hard on what and where it would go. I like them, but to me they are personal and I wouldnt want them shown off to the world.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've been considering off and on about getting a tatoo on my lower back (been wanting one since I was 14!) almost got one last summer, this guy was about to begin then asked if I had i.d....since I didn't he couldn't do it...I was really bummed but wondered if I should take it as a sign. The other thing is I'm young now, but wondering if it's going to be one of those 'I can't believe I did that' sort of things. I think the look is sexy....but not quite sure how sexy it would be as I get older...know what I mean?

How much is too much?

Aaron Hats said:
I'm surprised there isn't more support for tattoos considering their "vintage-ness". Remember the old anchor tattoos or the pinup girl tattoos on servicemen? It all boils down to freedom of choice and thank goodness we have that freedom.
There is a difference between having a tat that shows military service and having flaming skulls, demonds with swords over a large percentage of your body.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This is one of those issues that will never end here.

There are people for tattooing, and there are people against it.

Both sides have the free will to do what they would like with their bodies, opinions of others notwithstanding.

Convincing anyone that the opposing opinion about tattoos is the 'correct' one, is pointless, as is making sweeping statements about others motivation and visual sensibilities.

In other words, this will just continually go in the same repeated circles.

:deadhorse

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
... I think the look is sexy....but not quite sure how sexy it would be as I get older...know what I mean?

Try to visualize that sexy tattoo on your grandmother or great grandmother! :eek: If you live long enough, that will be you one of these days. ;)

Big Man

mysterygal said:
... it's not like when I'm 60yrs old ...

Hey, wait a minute, 60 isn't nearly as old as it used to be! ;) I was thinking more along the lines of late 90's, when those 20-something year-old nurses aids in the rest home are changing your diapers and making comments about that "sexy" tattoo. :)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
They've never appealed to me in general - especially the "whale tail" tattoos that seem to show up above the rear waistband on women. (And that's said with full respect for those who enjoy them, I just happen not to!)

If I ever do get one, because of my close ongoing relationship and activity in the Washington State University Alumni Association, it will be the WSU Cougar head below - and probably on one of my ankles, less than one inch in size. (So you can tell I have thought about it.)

Note that the Cougar head spells out the letters of the institution from left to right - W - S - U. This logo was created in 1939 by the uncle of one of my high school buddies.

spirit-marks_coughead.gif

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
Hey, wait a minute, 60 isn't nearly as old as it used to be! ;) I was thinking more along the lines of late 90's, when those 20-something year-old nurses aids in the rest home are changing your diapers and making comments about that "sexy" tattoo. :)

When I am 90...and needing diapers changed, the -least- of the things I will care about will be other peoples opinions of my body. I mean I cant use the facilities, do you honestly think anyone would be more embarassed about a tattoo at that point?

Feel the burn!

mysterygal said:
when I'm 60yrs old :)
You have to remember that with diet and excercise combined with medical advancements 60 is the new 50. Compared to one or two generations back, we are living longer and better. Plus as I get older, mature women seem to be looking better and better, so is it the improved health and lifestyle or just my point of view or a combination of the 2?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It's probably just the combination of the two! ;)
what necesserie said about getting cleaned up, reminded me of the stories my mom tells me, she works in a nursing home so I get all the horrid details of her job description, but there are a few old ladies there that have an amazing sense of humor, which I hope I keep! anyways, made me think that it would be just like me to get some kind of tatoo just to shock the nurse:eek: lol

Big Man

LaMedicine said:
Well, I'll have to tell you, it will take a heck of a lot to shock the nurses (and the doctors)....ask your mom.:D :p

Amen to that! After 28 years working in a state psychiatric hospital NOTHING shocks me (except, maybe, a sexy tattoo on a 90 year-old :) ).

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
When I am 90...and needing diapers changed, the -least- of the things I will care about will be other peoples opinions of my body. I mean I cant use the facilities, do you honestly think anyone would be more embarassed about a tattoo at that point?

When I'm 90 and needing diapers changed take me out back and put me down like an old dog.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I know, the whole subject of getting that old is depressing....have you ever even smelled the inside of a nursing home?:eek: :eek:fftopic:
back to topic....tattoo's only work for certain people

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
Both my arms are completely tattooed, full sleeves.This is somewhat strange for a man in my proffession. I am a Minister with a mainline protestant Church in Australia. My grandfather had a tattoo of a dagger on his arm and "sailor Jerry" syle tatoos on his body. In memory of him I had a copy of that Tattoo on my arm, that was the beggining it got outta hand from there.

J

jp*81

I Love Tattoos........On other people.

I do not have any tattoos. I have almost gotten one about 3 times but I never did, but I guess that is good because I wouldn't want them now. And that is my dilemma....what will I always like? And what will it look like later? I guess I think too much about it. But I do appreciate the art and think they look beautiful.

history05.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree with ya jp*81

They're okay for someone else, but not for me. I instinctively feel that I was made the way I am, without any embellishments, for a reason.
I think that the only thing I would ever have tattooed onto my own hide, would be the army airforce logo on my left shoulder. lol

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I don't really understand the appeal of tattoos. I have never seen someone with a tattoo that looked better with the tat than without. I think at best, a tattoo doesn't detract from the person's appearance. At worst it makes them look horrible.

Which is the reason why I would never get an SS blood group tattoo, regardless of how much more authentic it might make my WWII impression.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This entire thread...and the one before it on the same topic...

Should really just be summed up into two words.

PERSONAL CHOICE.

The rest of us should just live and let live, and try to be less judgemental about our fellow residents of the planet.

My personal motto is 'Gotta remember, everyone else is not -just like you-'

Learn to accept difference graciously and non judgementally and the world becomes a much nicer place to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points