Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you all order your Akubras?

My last order from EA was not up to par. I've ordered 2 from EA & 1 from HatsDirect. All were not out of current stock. I ordered an offered color from EA then weeks later, ordered a Glen Grey that was a HatsDirect special color & got the grey first. I got some story from EA that put the blame on Akubra when they should've been looking out for their orders! The service from HatsDirect is worth the extra price of their shipping & handling to me. HTH

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
One more time, just in case this one got lost. Thanks!

ScottF said:

Also, what's 'Superfine' quality? I see sites that say the only felt types are Heritage and Imperial, but then I see occasional references to 'Superfine'.

ScottF said:
.... Also, what's 'Superfine' quality? I see sites that say the only felt types are Heritage and Imperial, but then I see occasional references to 'Superfine'.
I have a Squatter that is Superfine quality & has Featherweight stenciled in the sweatband. It comes w/o a liner & is not near as thick a felt as my Imperial quality Akubras. My assumption is that it is a less dense felt than Imperial for lighter hats that can be worn in warmer temps. JMHO.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
I have a Squatter that is Superfine quality & has Featherweight stenciled in the sweatband. It comes w/o a liner & is not near as thick a felt as my Imperial quality Akubras. My assumption is that it is a less dense felt than Imperial for lighter hats that can be worn in warmer temps. JMHO.

Thanks - that's great info.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
... My assumption is that it is a less dense felt than Imperial for lighter hats that can be worn in warmer temps. JMHO.

My feeling is that the Superfine is thinner than Imperial but doesn't appear to be less dense. The Superfine is definitely lighter weight.

This has been an ongoing conumdrum and I'm considering contacting Akubra to clear the air.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
My feeling is that the Superfine is thinner than Imperial but doesn't appear to be less dense. The Superfine is definitely lighter weight.

This has been an ongoing conumdrum and I'm considering contacting Akubra to clear the air.

Interesting. It also sounds like Akubra varies the hats that will be 'Heritage' or 'Superfine' felt - I have seen the 'Overseer' as both 'Imperial' and 'Superfine', and sounds like the 'Squatter' has been made from both felts in the past. Byrnie Utz has the 'Sydney' in a thinner felt than Imperial (seems to me), but I didn't actually check to see what felt was listed on the hat.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
from memory, superfine is a discontinued line.
But, as I say, this is just from memory so don't sell your Akubra stocks based on my memory.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ADHD librarian said:
from memory, superfine is a discontinued line.
But, as I say, this is just from memory so don't sell your Akubra stocks based on my memory.

Everything Australian still sells the Squatter (the only Squatter choice they offer) in Superfine with a three month wait. They all get the telescope bash.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mid Brown Campdraft?

Anyone have a lead as to who has Mid Brown Campdrafts in stock? I've been searching around, and sent an email to HD, no one seems to have them in stock.

The aforementioned Nungar Trading has them, but I'm not sure they ship to the US.

Thanks,

Randy

::Edit:: I take that back, Nungar has to order them, also.

theinterchange said:
Anyone have a lead as to who has Mid Brown Campdrafts in stock? I've been searching around, and sent an email to HD, no one seems to have them in stock.

The aforementioned Nungar Trading has them, but I'm not sure they ship to the US.

Thanks,

Randy

::Edit:: I take that back, Nungar has to order them, also.
That was the one I had my trouble with EA about. It took way longer than 3 months... :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner