Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you hang your hat?

Achille

Familiar Face
Hello,
I never use these coat racks for my hat. You always have somebody to put his coat just upon your hat. As hats are pretty rare nobody pay attention to it.

Barbarian's time:rage: :rage:

JM

HDRnR

A-List Customer
It is a pain, I love when I go into an old restaurant somewhere and they have a sign that says "hat check".

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Any place that is SAFE

Since there are no "rules" anymore, I look around and put my hat any place that is safe lol . I'll put it in the pew next to me in church, on my knee, on top of the pile of coats, on the edge of the restaurant table. If there is no place to safely set my hat, I'll keep it on my head, and if someone doesn't like it, that's their problem!!! :p

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Most restaurants nowadays seat couples at tables for 4 so there is alway an open chair at the table to safely set my lid on. If there isn't the chairs I usually sit in have little cross members underneath for strength that make a handy little hat shelf off of the ground. And, if there is no place to set the hat, I leave it on and push I back like Will Rogers while I eat. One our local Italian restaurants has a hat rack in their waiting area. It's too light weight to hang a coat on but perfect to hang ones hat, so I don't have to worry about some putz flopping his jacket on top of my chapeau. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If there's no hat rack, no nearby chair, and no space on the counter or table, leave it on.
IMG_1382.jpg

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Am I the only one who takes his hat off to eat, indoors, regardless of the situation? I'll hang it on my knee if I have to. Those ballcap boys ALWAYS eat with their hat on and it drives me crazy! Aren't we "better" then that?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's a grilled meatloaf sandwich at the Terminal Luncheonette just outside Philadelphia. The hat is a vintage Borsalino rollable sold by Mascotta.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
TaxMan1 said:
Am I the only one who takes his hat off to eat, indoors, regardless of the situation? I'll hang it on my knee if I have to. Those ballcap boys ALWAYS eat with their hat on and it drives me crazy! Aren't we "better" then that?

Hey, he's at a diner counter. Perfectly acceptable to leave you hat on.

I tend to look around for empty seats, shelves, pegs, or whatever. I also carry around a lanyard/clip setup - I haven't been able to pick up a ready made one, so I made one myself. A badge clip with the ends straightened, and a lanyard. That way you can loop it around whatever, and attach the clip to the brim or sweatband.

dnjan

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
... the chairs I usually sit in have little cross members underneath for strength that make a handy little hat shelf off of the ground.

Dan
That is a great suggestion! I'll remember that for next time.

MattJH

One Too Many
If an establishment doesn't have a place to safely hang my hat, I wear it, regardless of the situation. While I understand and appreciate the respect for formalities, courtesies, customs, and traditions that many members here are cognizant of, the truth of the matter is that it's 2007 and people just don't care if you wear your hat; not in my experiences, at least. It's only considered rude if somebody thinks it's rude, and since nobody thinks it's rude, it's not. You know?

RedPop4

One Too Many
We found ourselves in a classic New Orleans neighborhood joint Friday night. The place is called Liuzza's and it's an experience. Well, I found it good, but well over-priced, but that's not the point, is it.

Anyway, our table was right in front of the "restaurant entrance" which is no longer utilized. And I took off my Montecristi, looking for a place in this crowded dining room, and what does my eye see? Right above our table, on the door frame is a aluminum tube frame hat rack.

45962936_81c7e57eb6.jpg

P1010133_634c2ccafd.JPG

P1010131_404877806a_thumb.JPG

warbird

One Too Many
Stan there are times when it is acceptable to keep the lid on, such as at diner counters or sitting at the bar. However, like you, I am uneasy anytime I keep my hat on indoors, just the way I was raised.

It's funny I think like that even wearing nice hats, yet I know the people who I see even in nice restaurants wearing their caps never even think twice about having their hat on inside.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
It's funny I think like that even wearing nice hats, yet I know the people who I see even in nice restaurants wearing their caps never even think twice about having their hat on inside.

That's what I was TRYING to say...........;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot