Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you hang your hat?

S

Samsa

What do you do with your hat at night? Do you have a hat rack? A hat box? Do you throw it on any available surface?

....Do you sleep with your hat on?

I've been told a hat box is the best place to keep a hat when it is not being worn, but I'm too lazy to do this. I usually just keep it on a table or chair.

ortega76

Practically Family
I keep my Biltmore in the box, but then I won't wear again until it's cooler out. I keep my Dobbs straw on my dresser or bookcase along with my Scala diamond crown. They are my day-to-day hats.

shamus

Suspended
I've been keeping them in hat boxes usually doubled up as I only have about 5 boxes and the rest are just kind of stacked together in the closet.

I did though go to Ikea and a buy a hat rack and a nice mirror and put those up. They hold 5 to 6 hats. So I just rotate them throughout the week. It was cheap, as everything Ikea has is. I think 10 dollars for the rack/shelf and 25 for the mirror.

I'll take a pic this weekend.

But when I get to work I usually just put it upside down on the monitor top. and the rest of the time it just sits on my head.

a side note: I put cedar shavings inside the hat box to keep the critters away. Also makes the hats smell nice...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Okay;) ........It's a little early or I'd have put something in the glass.

The hat is just a Miller, with an antique TWA Strat pin.
I've got something better in the works being made by Art.

fountainhat.jpg

REDKNIGHT1775

New in Town
When I get home and am sitting around I have a nice cherry wood hat/coat rack in my living room where I like to display them for guests. I only put the one I am wearing that day and one blazer on it at a time, with my shoulder holster. When the day is over I put it back in it's box, where its nice and safe.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
hooks

The stairwell to our basement is not covered by sheetrock, so I've hung two hooks on the backside of each step (the underside of the stairs that go to the second floor of the house). I found out the hard way that the hooks need to be the larger ones, not the cheap small 89 cent ones you can get at HomeDepot. The larger hooks allow for wider, curved brims.

The hooks are as far left and right as I can put them, to accommadate a wide-brimmed hat, and leaving the center of the stairs completely free. The hats are high enough that it never interferes with going up and down the steps. It is relatively dry and warm in the stairwell. So far, so good!

The only downside I have discovered is on one kangaroo hide hat: it is such soft leather that the gravity pulling the hat down on the hook has left an impression in the leather. I have removed that hat, and will see if the small impression will smooth out. :eusa_doh:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hang my hats in coat hooks I put into the wall. But I am getting my Brother in law to make me some nice wood hat racks so I can display them properly.
Johnny

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I have different places for my hats, depending on how much I value them. My nice ones I put on a shelf in my closet in such a way so as to not damage the brim. The hats I wear every day, I just hang on a bed post or any place not in the way(my work hats).

spiridon

A-List Customer
My storage solution is pretty much the same as UrbanAristocat... I have some large hooks on the door and wall of my closet.....these are for the hats which I am currently using (depends somwhat on the season)....then I store the remainder in another closet....in hat boxes.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hangin' my hat...

I come in the door and I plop it down on top of an old Nikon SLR that sits on a tripod in the corner. It helps me forget that I'm not using the camera as much as I'd like and the hat looks great on display. It looks perfectly natural. -dixon cannon

Magus

Practically Family
Hmmm...Current locations? In stacked hat boxes studio on the floor and on the shelf in the painting studio...on the shelf in my closet...on the round banister top at the bottom of the stairs...on the desk beside my computer...and on the shelf in the coat closet near the front door (those are two rough and tumble ones that I throw on to get the mail/wash the car/trim the bushes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21