Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you take your leather jacket for alteration.

Ben1111

Familiar Face
I'm currently in Seattle area and just found that Ralph at Ralph's Leather is leather expert. Helped me altered an aero leather 1950s HB.

Just curious if people can always find good local leather alteration places.

Peacoat

Bartender
Most of us send out jackets out for alteration or repair as we don't have experts available locally. Dena, as noted above, is excellent as is Johnson Leather in San Fransisco–see below:

Johnson Leathers (San Francisco CA)
Tel No: 1-415-775-7393
(better to call Damon or DM them on Instagram @johnsonleathersf as the website is not kept up to date)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I’ve always been curious as to how much altering can be done to a jacket and how those alterations are done so as not to become obvious.

I understand shortening sleeves and maybe even body length, but can things like shoulder or chest width practically be altered?

Can the stitching be matched etc?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve always been curious as to how much altering can be done to a jacket and how those alterations are done so as not to become obvious.

I understand shortening sleeves and maybe even body length, but can things like shoulder or chest width practically be altered?

Can the stitching be matched etc?
I have had several jackets taken in through the chest and down to the hem. I was very fortunate to find a good tailor here in Berkeley who is skilled at working with leather. His name is Zoltan and his business is called Advanced European Tailoring.
One thing I like about him is that he always tells me whether or not my idea is doable. Obviously there are some jackets where this is easier than others, pocket and seam placement make some alterations impossible or at least unwise.
As far as the stitching he has always done a good job on that. I’ve had him replace the zipper on a few jackets and his work is practically invisible.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I have had several jackets taken in through the chest and down to the hem. I was very fortunate to find a good tailor here in Berkeley who is skilled at working with leather. His name is Zoltan and his business is called Advanced European Tailoring.
One thing I like about him is that he always tells me whether or not my idea is doable. Obviously there are some jackets where this is easier than others, pocket and seam placement make some alterations impossible or at least unwise.
As far as the stitching he has always done a good job on that. I’ve had him replace the zipper on a few jackets and his work is practically invisible.
Yeah, I've heard of Zoltan. Old school European tailor. An institution over there.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thank you for this, really appreciate this information. I may decide to go this route if my next jacket purchase needs tweaking.

El Marro

Thank you for this, really appreciate this information. I may decide to go this route if my next jacket purchase needs tweaking.
No problem. I totally understand the people who say that you should not have to tailor a jacket, if it doesn’t fit when you get it and then move it on and buy another jacket.
Speaking personally though I have been very happy with all of the jackets that Zoltan has worked on for me. I think I bought four A-2‘s chasing the perfect fit before I finally wised up and had one tailored to fit me well.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I’m in SW Missouri, we have a local shop called Alterations Unlimited in Springfield that has done several linings, zips, and some restoration/altering on leather jackets for me over the years. They currently have 2 of mine ready to pick up in the next couple days(really excited about one of them). I brought in my original Steerhide Buco J100 a couple years ago for a new liner and to have the sleeves narrowed a bit. The jacket turned out great, liner was perfect, and I couldn’t find any flaws where they had re stitched it all back together.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
No problem. I totally understand the people who say that you should not have to tailor a jacket, if it doesn’t fit when you get it and then move it on and buy another jacket.
Speaking personally though I have been very happy with all of the jackets that Zoltan has worked on for me. I think I bought four A-2‘s chasing the perfect fit before I finally wised up and had one tailored to fit me well.
Good to know:)

I’ve gone through 3 different half belt type jackets now, and I’m growing weary lol.

I have an incoming in the next few days and decided to size up a bit. I figured if I need to have it taken in I can - hopefully…

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
That's "You don't mess with the Zohan", a spoof on Israelis. Starts out hilariously funny, then it slows down and kind of gets old quick.

Scrappy Coco and Phantom use Dena or JL.

There was a guy in Fort Lauderdale who was very good. Transplanted NYer. Worked at a shoe repair shop on US-1 near the beach.

Shoe Doctor: 1900 E Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you’re in Vancouver, there’s a shop called AWL leathers, she used to operate in the basement of Re-Ride, now have her own bigger place a few blocks east. The process is fairly straight forward, in person fitting, plastic clips tighten in places then off to the sewing machine. Easier torso take in jobs are done quite fast. Reasonable prices. Best results is in person fitting, although she does take mail ins. But I’ve found in person fitting is needed for alterations.

Aloysius

I've heard Zoltan also sources vintage jackets for the Japanese market and you can buy them directly from him if you see something you like.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Scrappy Coco and Phantom use Dena or JL.

There was a guy in Fort Lauderdale who was very good. Transplanted NYer. Worked at a shoe repair shop on US-1 near the beach.

Shoe Doctor: 1900 E Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
Sorry, went right over my head, lol. I got to go get some hummus...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points