Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where the bowler lives on.

Topper

Vendor
dhermann1 said:
Very interesting. Next issue: How did the pronunciation difference come about? DArby vs DErby?

Hehe such are the fun things in life .... Where I live it is Ascot ( hence my Compay: Ascot Top Hats Ltd) if one is in attendance of Royal Ascot, remember to pronounce it correctly as "Ass-kut" , and not as most people pronounce it "Ass-cot".

Topper

Vendor
Davidson said:
Is it just me, or is there something about wearing a derby that makes you feel happy, sort of jaunty?
Cheers!

Jaunty.... Depends on how fast you are riding on the horse and if going up and down in the saddle lol

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Topper said:
Jaunty.... Depends on how fast you are riding on the horse and if going up and down in the saddle lol

Maybe this is one of those English vs American word definition differences...from the free dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jaunty

jaun¬?ty (j?¥nt, j?§n-)
adj. jaun¬?ti¬?er, jaun¬?ti¬?est
1. Having a buoyant or self-confident air; brisk.
2. Crisp and dapper in appearance; natty.
3. Archaic
a. Stylish.
b. Genteel.
[French gentil, nice, from Old French, noble; see gentle.]

Or do you mean one should only wear a bowler when riding (and it may not be going well, therefore not jauntily)? Or ?

Topper

Vendor
No difference, mearly the Contex of being used - One can feel Jaunty riding a Horse with or without a bowler.

How Januty one is, could be greatened by the thrill of the hat, but also in addition being on the horse or / horse & carriage.

So is it the hat or the horse that is making one Jaunty or both! :)

- Over here the bowler is and can be both Jaunty and not -

One can take pride it when dressed perfectly ( with city suit), very London, with a brisk step walking down the street, swinging the umbrella - Very Jaunty

Other times a somber hat, used for Rememberance Sunday ( equilivant of US Vetrans Day) when it is a respectful hat. As such wound not be Jaunty at all.

Other Times for Riding, and the thrill and fun of equestrian events.

...Other times can be very raunchy on certain pop stars lol

Rafter

Suspended
Pat_H said:
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/05/16/PH2007051600833.jpg

Prince William and Prince Harry in suits and bowlers with the Combined Cavalry Old Comrades' Association, in Hyde Park, London on Sunday May 13, 2007.

Here is another picture of the royal bros....this one is from the "Daily Mail" showing them in their bowler hats.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=454526&in_page_id=1770

Note that neither has cuffs on his pants and that both could use some adjustment of the jacket cuffs.
And Wills in loafers, Harry in bluchers--what is this world coming to? Oh well, I guess it is quite acceptable for someone of Prince William's breeding to wear loafers with a lounge suit!

HDRnR

A-List Customer
One of my friends marched in that parade, he said its probably the only reason why Locke still makes bowlers.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Rafter said:
Here is another picture of the royal bros....this one is from the "Daily Mail" showing them in their bowler hats.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=454526&in_page_id=1770

Note that neither has cuffs on his pants and that both could use some adjustment of the jacket cuffs.
And Wills in loafers, Harry in bluchers--what is this world coming to? Oh well, I guess it is quite acceptable for someone of Prince William's breeding to wear loafers with a lounge suit!

Cuffs on pants are not in fashion from what I've been told by my younger Brit friends. I think it looks rediculous, they also narrow the width of the pant legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo