Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where to buy collars

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hi All,

I am looking for a few 16" detachable collars for a shirt of mine. Does anyone have leads besides ebay and etsy? I found some made in England ones but at $20 a collar:eeek:.

Mike

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Save separate collars into ebay search and wait a while, I've acquired quite a few NOS ones like this in 17" so 16" should be fairly easy to get...also vintage and retro fairs at least over here are good, I've never paid more then a fiver each.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Amazon Dry Good is really good, but be aware that you'll be doing repeat business if you buy their paper collars. I'd recommend getting the "celluloid" (acetate) collars; all you have to do is wash those!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Thanks, I just ordered some. I knew I should have just asked the experts first before looking around the internet. Although I did find Darcy's clothes and had to quickly leave as my wallet kept jumping out and opening to my CC's. that can't afford anymore use.

Mike

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I'd recommend avoiding the 'Frontier Classics' collars (the ones sold by Gentleman's Emporium) as they seem to be poorly sized. My collar size is 15.5, which should have been a size 'M' based on the sizing chart. I ordered that size and THIS is how it fit...
20141013_210707.jpg
Yikes! The size S was a bit better, but still not a good fit. I now only buy collars that state their real size, rather than S, M, and L units.

Last edited:

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I've found the best solution is to just bite the bullet and pay for the Darcy collars. The cost of shipping, etc. is a bit steep, but the quality is great. The BIG drawback is that there is nowhere in the U.S. to have them laundered and starched. I have looked into it for years, and even the places that forum members claim do this, upon contacting these places, they either DON'T actually do it, or they only do HUGE quantities of cleanings. Another solution is to buy Darcy's washable collars, which I have not tried yet. With the ones that must be sent for cleaning, it actually costs LESS to buy new ones than to have them sent to England to be cleaned. My solution has been to only wear them on very special occasions, and try not to sweat! I actually have all my detachable collar shirts made by Duchess Clothier of Portland, Oregon. The shirts are made with nice, soft collars that can be swapped out for anyone else's stuff collars.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I've had good success starching collars with 100% corn starch right from the kitchen cupboard. I make a supersaturated solution of starch with pure water, then slowly heat up that solution to near boiling while stirring consistently. Right before boiling the starch solution will become thick and syrupy, when this starts to happen take the pot off the heat. Mix consistently, then soak or spread the syrupy starch goo into the collar. Press the excess out and allow the collar to dry.

Once the collar is almost dry iron and steam it smooth. Give it a good surge of heat and steam, and while still hot loop it around and hold it closed with a collar stud. Now let the collar dry completely in its final shape, resulting in a nice stiff collar ready for wear. Make sure you don't dry it out white the iron, as that will result in starch flaking on the collar.

^This is a messy and time consuming process, but for as often as it is required I'd rather do it myself than send them overseas.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yikes! The size S was a bit better, but still not a good fit. I now only buy collars that state their real size, rather than S, M, and L units.
You and me both.

For what it's worth I have a couple of collars from Darcy Clothing, and while not cheap they are very good quality.
Agreed, I too have a couple of excellent spearpoint detachables from Darcy. Not cheap, but good quality and always admired.

KIT

New in Town
I have a couple of washable collars from Darcy and found them to be of good quality,the only trouble with going into the shop (I live 20 mins away) is I go in for a collar, and walk out with another couple of shirts, a pair of trousers, hat, braces, and an empty wallet.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Amazon Dry Good is really good, but be aware that you'll be doing repeat business if you buy their paper collars. I'd recommend getting the "celluloid" (acetate) collars; all you have to do is wash those!

Unfortunately Amazon Dry Goods has stopped making their "celluloid" collars, what they have on their web page are just leftovers and the size options are very limited.

I bought their paper 'Perry' collar and when it wore out I used is as a pattern to make more with a sheet of poster board. The new collars were identical in all aspects except for the fine stich detail along the rim- which wasn't too noticeable in the first place. I got about 5 new collars out of a sheet of poster board for just $1. If you really want you can add the stich detail with a fine scoring tool.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've had excellent experiences with the washable Darcy collars. All of the look with none of the hassle! I am given to understand that the Arundells supplied to the Peaky Blinders production were the washable variety too, fwiw.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I must admit that it looks stunning for under $1.
Does it wear comfortable?
Comfortable.....err.... not really. Lol
It's not bad once you're used to it, but the paper feels a bit sharp compared to a nice starched fabric collar.

Like others have said, the starched fabric collars from Darcy Clothing are top notch! I'm wearing one in my profile picture.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've found the best solution is to just bite the bullet and pay for the Darcy collars. The cost of shipping, etc. is a bit steep, but the quality is great. The BIG drawback is that there is nowhere in the U.S. to have them laundered and starched.
Go to this link, scroll down to the video and see the 90 second clip of how they did it yesteryear. Skills long gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo