Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find high waisted pants for under $75

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
There is a retirement village in a nearby town. Would there be a higher chance to find vintage in thrift stores there?

There may be something in a thrift store like that but there is really not much left from the 30s, 40s and 50s and the people that are currently of retirement age would probably have stuff from the 60s at the earliest. I think you are looking for stuff that their parents would have worn and most people just don't hold on to things like that. I go to estate sales almost every weekend and have found some great hats, vintage Stetson open roads and statoliners, Borsalinos etc, but clothes are much harder to come by because they just don't last that long, they wear out. I think you should try thrift stores and estate sales in your area but its hard to find anything on a consistent basis unless you go to a store where someone has spent some time collecting vintage specifically from that era and when you do find something get it because it is disappearing and there is not much left. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would think you'd find very little of merit in the thriftys near a retirement center, because all the retirees would have kicked it all to the thrifts where they came from before they moved to the retirement center. And as has been mentioned, many of today's retirees were yesterdays hippies.
Don't let that stop you though. EBay is definitely a good source, but the feeling you get when you score something good at a thrift or a flea is far more satisfying than shopping on the bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn