Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to fix vintage typewriters?

Miss Welsh

New in Town
So a girlfriend of mine, with good intentions, bought me a vintage typewriter. I think it's a 1930's typewriter, but it's not completely functioning.

I've had it for over a year, and don't know where to take it to get it fixed so that it's functional. For now, it's just a very big and heavy paperweight!!

Help!!

Starius

Practically Family
You know, recently I was thinking of posting a thread about this.

The only resource I have is this website list of typewriter repair shops.

Has anyone here tried any of these shops though? I wonder how current it is. (I suppose I could email the website author.)

I have a late 30s or early 40s Smith - Corona Super-Speed typewriter that I've been wanting to get serviced. I suspect the nearest place for me to send it in might be Illinois.

If anyone else has any other typewriter repair/servicing information, please do post it here. It's a resource that is only going to continue dwindling with time and I'd like to get my own typewriter serviced before it is impossible to do so.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
I've got several vintage typewriters ranging from the late 20's up to the mid-60s and I've had them all serviced at Star Office Machines, 11351 Santa Monica Blvd (just a few blocks west of the 405). Their phone number is310-477-6091.

They have experience servicing and restoring vintage typewriters and have always done a great job on my machines. In fact, they've done work on typewriters that belong to Tom Hanks (who's a collector).

Depending on the problems your machine has, it may run up to or over $100 depending on what parts it needs or what issues there are. They'll give you an itemized estimate first though. Most vintage typewriters will, as a minimum, need a new platen cover. Over the years, the rubber becomes hard and typing on it can damage it and will wear the type.

Ed

A new caveat here. Just brought my 1930s Underwood in for service yesterday. I was surprised when the guy said I needed a new platen as i just had it replaced about five years ago. Seems the first guy that worked on it just took one from an old machine and didn't actually have it recovered as he said he would. Charged me $100 for it, too. What did I know? It looked new. The platen should be spongy and not hard as my 'new' one turned out to be.

Repairing old typewriters is obviously time-consuming work. Be prepared to spend money. (New platen, oiling, cleaning, minor repairs = $300) As I've been told yesterday (though had already learned) there are a zillion typewriters to be had on ebay and at tag sales, but a zillion minus ten aren't in operating condition. Be sure you're actually going to use the thing before having it restored - especially the platen. I miss mine already and because it's taking six to eight weeks to finish, I might break down and by an olivetti 22/32 to hold me over.

Regards,

Senator Jack

panamag8or

Practically Family
In the other typewriter thread, I described some of what we have. Many are never going to be usable, so my Dad and I were thinking of stripping them for parts, since many were custom made for each model, and aren't being produced anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot