Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get hat ribbon?

I did a search, but came up empty handed. This must have been covered before.

I recently picked up a cocoanut straw 'pork pie' to replace my old casual Sam Snead style Lee.

The hat is OK, but it has a really ugly pastel plaid band. Local haberdashers carry only solid colours.

Where can I find a selection of striped ribbons to give it the vintage feel I want?

Many thanks for any assistance

Wherever you get it from you need to be an educated buyer. Do you want polyester? Silk? Old cotton and wood derived rayon? Do you want a petersham or woven edge? Several of the sellers I’ve dealt with don’t accurately describe their products and some don’t know much about what they are selling. I’ve about given up trying to buy vintage grosgrain ribbon and I’m leaving it to the hatters.

Wherever you get it from you need to be an educated buyer. Do you want polyester? Silk? Old cotton and wood derived rayon? Do you want a petersham or woven edge? Several of the sellers I’ve dealt with don’t accurately describe their products and some don’t know much about what they are selling. I’ve about given up trying to buy vintage grosgrain ribbon and I’m leaving it to the hatters.
I have learned a ton about ribbons and ribbon material.....through trial and error. You can't beat vintage cotton/rayon grosgrain, contemporary cotton/rayon is just OK but harder to work with as it does not drape all that welland is stiffer. Polyester is easy to get and comes in any colour imaginable but it is a bitch to work with. You might think about looking for a premade Puggaree. They are sold often in striped material and have hooks to attach to the hat. Sewing the ribbon/bow is not easy to do well.

I did a search, but came up empty handed. This must have been covered before.

I recently picked up a cocoanut straw 'pork pie' to replace my old casual Sam Snead style Lee.

The hat is OK, but it has a really ugly pastel plaid band. Local haberdashers carry only solid colours.

Where can I find a selection of striped ribbons to give it the vintage feel I want?

Many thanks for any assistance
Just came across an Etsy store selling all manner of striped grosgrain ribbon. VintageTrims is the name. Worth a look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana