Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to go for specific leather jacket?

gunnarthefeisty

New in Town
1710835695751.png

Basically- where can I go to get this exact jacket replicated? It is mine but the collar is worn thru in places and I'm frankly afraid to wear it any more. It has a rather specific cut, and some unique details like the ring side adjusters, snap cuff adjusters, and the overall cut. I don't have much money to spend- I could MAYBE save up to around $500-600.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
For 500 USD the only place to go is overseas. However I would advice you to save up 1k and have it done in the US at Johnson Leather SF. They rebuilt my fathers vintage Belstaff jacket, maintaining the original pattern while also sizing it down and they did a terrific job.
View attachment 600624
Basically- where can I go to get this exact jacket replicated? It is mine but the collar is worn thru in places and I'm frankly afraid to wear it any more. It has a rather specific cut, and some unique details like the ring side adjusters, snap cuff adjusters, and the overall cut. I don't have much money to spend- I could MAYBE save up to around $500-600.

gunnarthefeisty

New in Town
For 500 USD the only place to go is overseas. However I would advice you to save up 1k and have it done in the US at Johnson Leather SF. They rebuilt my fathers vintage Belstaff jacket, maintaining the original pattern while also sizing it down and they did a terrific job.
1K for a jacket just seems excessive.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1K for a jacket just seems excessive.
I can assure you that it's not. The 1k jacket makes you so much happier than the 0.5k jacket. And if you apply the price to the expected service life, it's not so bad.
I would rather buy a good used one for 0.5k than a new mediocre one.
Although... I just bought one from rugged west for 0.5k and I'm happy ;)
But I also have plenty of others.

View attachment 600624

This is something FiveStar was made to do.
https://www.fivestarleather.us/
Send them the jacket & have them remake it and maybe even fix it, too. Should come out under $500. No jacket has business costing any more than that, anyway.

$1K is stupidly excessive but... We all do it. For some reason. Though for the life of me, I can't remember what that reason is...

It's a lovely jacket, in any case.

gunnarthefeisty

New in Town
This is something FiveStar was made to do.
https://www.fivestarleather.us/
Send them the jacket & have them remake it and maybe even fix it, too. Should come out under $500. No jacket has business costing any more than that, anyway.

$1K is stupidly excessive but... We all do it. For some reason. Though for the life of me, I can't remember what that reason is...

It's a lovely jacket, in any case.
That's what I'm planning on doing. A lot of the guys here are super snobbish ("well, you might as well pay 1K, anything less will be utterly worthless!) but I just... don't have 1K to spend on a jacket. Maybe when I'm 35 and actually have a good salary, but as a college student it's just frustrating. I did send them an email and the guy said it would cost $350 to make the custom jacket. Plus whatever shipping my jacket there costs...

After reading reviews of five star I am greatly discouraged. Surely there's somewhere I could get a leather jacket copied for under $1K?

What's wrong with the reviews? I never did business with 5* but a lot of people here are very happy with them.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/five-star-leather-jackets.101762/

Bad reviews are probably from people who expect Freewheelers-grade leather jackets without paying for Freewheelers-grade leather jacket. I've seen a lot of their jackets here, yours is a perfect candidate for them. Lol maybe they even made it back in the days.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What's wrong with the reviews? I never did business with 5* but a lot of people here are very happy with them.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/five-star-leather-jackets.101762/
You've never handled a 5*. The reviews are written by people who have.

Bad reviews are probably from people who expect Freewheelers-grade leather jackets without paying for Freewheelers-grade leather jacket. I've seen a lot of their jackets here, yours is a perfect candidate for them. Lol maybe they even made it back in the days.
I've never read about people expecting 'Freewheeler-grade leather' from 5*. Did I miss something? Please provide links.

Most people who've ordered a 5* have never handled a FW jacket (assumption). So how would you say would they be able to judge whether 5* leather is or is not 'Freewheeler- grade' to begin with? Your comment makes no sense.

El Marro

A lot of the guys here are super snobbish ("well, you might as well pay 1K, anything less will be utterly worthless!) but I just... don't have 1K to spend on a jacket. Maybe when I'm 35 and actually have a good salary, but as a college student it's just frustrating.
When I was your age every spare penny I had went to buy marijuana and beer, so I sympathize with the budget realities of a college student versus some of us who are further along In life and have more disposable income to play with.
But I take issue with you describing anyone who has responded to your question as “super snobbish”. Those members clearly explained why they recommended the more expensive option and that it was for your benefit. Asking for advice, and then insulting the people who offer it is just plain rude.

gunnarthefeisty

New in Town
@MrProper had a great suggestion in the other thread. Send the jacket to Johnson Leathers and just have them repair the jacket with a new collar. Or send it to Dena at Great Leather for the same.
While that would be nice, I really don't think it would look very good. I'd rather just have a whole new one so I don't have to worry about wear.

While that would be nice, I really don't think it would look very good. I'd rather just have a whole new one so I don't have to worry about wear.

Well, what else is there? If $500 plus is too much money, which is perfectly understandable, and 5* isn't an option, there's not much else you can do. Copying a leather jacket like that is always going to set you back a lot of money.

Why not just track this jacket down? This is a very common Germany or Austrian made style from the 80's, I'm sure any German used clothes internet market is full of very similar styles. Here, just from the first page of Willhaben...
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/fliegerlederjacke-915239780/
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/herren-lederjacke-1754377653/
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/lederjacke-1046414873/
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/lederjacke-2127759228/

Last edited:

gunnarthefeisty

New in Town
If you are adamant about the copying route, I’d listen to the snobs.

Monitor’s idea to replace the jacket with a pre-owned or similar lower priced new one makes a lot of sense too.
Yeah, it's looking like the best option. I made that comment before doing a whole lot fo research and somehow it looks like *that's just the way things are*

Aloysius

I think this kind of copying is the best use of Five Star, since their patterning isn't really involved besides making a copy.

Yeah, it's looking like the best option. I made that comment before doing a whole lot fo research and somehow it looks like *that's just the way things are*

Unfortunately, that is the case. I get the sticker shock. It sucks.

Some great deals available on higher quality used gear. Imo nicer gear than 5* can build you. Just have to find your jacket. It’s out there. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner