Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to obtain reproduction/comparable hat?

Naphtali

Practically Family
My uncle brought home from World War II a Wehrmacht winter hat, a Pelzmütze, I believe it's called.

I wore the hat many winters as a child. I want to acquire a reproduction or comparable hat of good quality. I observe many similar looking hats are available via eBay, but I have no clue which are well made. Nor would I know what to look for in descriptions or details of manufacture.

Salient features of this hat include: fur affixed to wool body; cap-body has insulation; hat has string ties rather than snap fastener or Velcro®.

Desirable, but not essential features include: Feldgrau wool (a blend of green and gray shown in graphics); Dacron satin lined cap; and modern insulation, such as Thinsulate® or Hollowfil®, etc., rather than cotton batting.

I would prefer names and contacts of reliable vendors/manufacturers. Their locations are not important so long as it is not Red China.

Here are graphics showing an original Pelzmütze.

Peltzmutze_4.jpg

SMCK

New in Town
Silvermans.co.uk have something very similar. Russian leather sheepskin, lined tie up. £35. mean and green .com have have a russian cossack hat with rabbit fur,not unlike. I feel sure that a search of army surplus might turn up something.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

This hat resembles a Russian ushanka. The only online vendor for ushankas in my browser's bookmark list is Russian Legacy. http://russianlegacy.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=32_45_274_147 Drill down to page 3, which has a couple of hats that are pretty comparable to yours.

There are probably folks who make exact repros of Nazi headgear, for re-enactors or perhaps for neo-Nazis to wear while knocking over headstones in Jewish cemeteries, but my feelings about Nazis are perhaps even more extreme than your feelings about the PRC. No bookmarks to share, as I've never gone looking for them -- when I wasn't well armed. ;)

You could probably find a similar hat at a sporting goods shop, such as Cabela's, as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Donato

One of the Regulars
Here's my Russian winter hat

I second Mark's advice. I bought one during a visit to Moscow many years ago and it is the warmest hat I own. Even in sub zero temperatures, it keeps your head and ears warm. Mine is pure beaver fur and only cost me $35.00 in one of Moscow's "Dollar Shops" that accepted foreign currency. The same hat now sells at Russianlegacy.com for $174.95!!
http://russianlegacy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_45_274_147&products_id=3555
BeaverRussianHat.jpg
[/IMG]
SH028_view2.jpg
[/IMG]

Naphtali

Practically Family
tandmark said:
There are probably folks who make exact repros of Nazi headgear, for re-enactors or perhaps for neo-Nazis to wear while knocking over headstones in Jewish cemeteries, but my feelings about Nazis are perhaps even more extreme than your feelings about the PRC.
Cheers,
Mark
Landsman: Our antipathy is probably comparable.

Dear Bathurst (said he to me one day) was a man to my very heart’s content: he hated a fool, and he hated a rogue, and he hated a whig; he was a very good hater. Samuel Johnson

Until I was in my 30s, and taped reminiscences of my parents' World War II experiences, I thought the hat was Russian Army winter hat. When I wanted to get another, having moved to Montana, I found out it had been taken -- and we all appreciate how -- from a German soldier on the Russian front. My uncle Mike, in the Merchant Marine during the war on the Murmansk run, traded for it. He gave it to my older brother, who passed it to me.
I am aware of leather/vinyl capped hats. I strongly prefer wool. It is softer, quieter, less stiff in cold weather.

Regarding Ushankas, I have a couple of U.S.S.R. and D.D.R. military surplus versions. They are functional without being "right" for my wants.

Regarding reproductions of wartime hats, these would probably be acceptable, but I revert to a complete lack of experience dealing with any -- plus, who are they?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here you go.

There is an eBay vendor who sells a repro of this model of Wehrmacht winter cap but he is in Singapore-
don't know if that's too close to China for you...
He makes various versions, as used by Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht and the "Other one"
He does have the Feldgrau wool Wehrmacht and "Other one" version with Rabbit fur, or sheepskin/wool.
It also has the cotton lining and batting.

eBay item #s 150098118501 and 150189810296 for example.
Seller ID: barrylyndon28

I don't know of any other WW2 reenactment vendor who carries a repro of this piece.

I have dealt with several Asia-based eBay vendors and had no problems.

Ask me another.

B
T

Naphtali

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
There is an eBay vendor who sells a repro of this model of Wehrmacht winter cap but he is in Singapore-
don't know if that's too close to China for you...
He makes various versions, as used by Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht and the "Other one"
He does have the Feldgrau wool Wehrmacht and "Other one" version with Rabbit fur, or sheepskin/wool.
It also has the cotton lining and batting.

eBay item #s 150098118501 and 150189810296 for example.
Seller ID: barrylyndon28

I don't know of any other WW2 reenactment vendor who carries a repro of this piece.

I have dealt with several Asia-based eBay vendors and had no problems.
Many thanks for the contact.

My problem with Red China has zip to do with proximity. I do my best to avoid buying from places whose working conditions are unacceptable for American and Western workers. As unanticipated bonuses, their political system is loathsome, and they would do me harm if they could -- you, too. I reward my friends, and do what I will for the others.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Naphtali said:
I found out it had been taken -- and we all appreciate how -- from a German soldier on the Russian front. My uncle Mike, in the Merchant Marine during the war on the Murmansk run, traded for it. He gave it to my older brother, who passed it to me.

Hey, as long as the hat was obtained that way, it's been neutralized. It's hard to find another one with similar provenance though, unfortunately. :)

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL