Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to start?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Sometime in the coming spring I'm going to run down to Joe Hemranjani's for a new suit. I only own one because my former profession as a middle school teacher didn't call for one and the one I own now is black. I was expecting to wear it to a funeral so I bought it in a bit of a hurry. Nice suit, fits well, I get compliments, but . . . it's time for another.

Now I'm retired. No boardrooms, no nervous clients, just me. I've lived in the suburbs all my life and will likely die here. I've worked in the suburbs for more than the last thirty years. I have no need or desire to go downtown more than two or three times a year. Heck, I get out into the country more often.

Now Will Buelke recommends the following fabrics for the suburban suit:
Tan gabardine
Air force blue flannel
Black and white houndstooth
Black and white glen check with a blue or red overcheck
Tan nailhead fresco
But I'm a winter by coloration so tan is doubtful. Where should I start? I really love Joe's blue glen check and will unquestionably get one but should I start with it? What I'm looking for is to work up to, over the next couple of years, about four bespoke suits, no more. They need to be as general as possible but forget about the 'classic' business suit. I'm retired. Forget business.

So what does the brotherhood recommend? The b/w glen check? The houndstooth? Perhaps a blue nailhead? What do you think and, more importantly, why?

Thanx

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Three piece, single breasted, peak lapel, flapped pockets, ticket pocket, working cuffs, cuffed trousers, single reverse pleats . . . I think that's everything. Oh, and the pattern is F58621 in the Hemranjani Collection, worsted 130's, tropical 130's. It's called Blue Chambrey and it's very subtle. Only up close would a viewer see that it is a glen check. I love it.

On the other hand, a charcoal herringbone would be good, too. But I can only afford one a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112