Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which brands make a slim A2?

Edward

Bartender
If you're after a particular fit, going custom is always going to be the best option, unless, of course, you're aiming for all-out historical accuracy, in which case a different set of considerations come into play. Personally, I'dd prefer the former - especially given what outlay even the lower end of the niche jacket companies charge these days!

devilish

A-List Customer
As mentioned earlier in the thread, go Good Wear. Made to measure. That is if price and time are not a factor. I'm guessing price isn't if you're looking at RMC. To me, John's jackets are much nicer than any Japanese repro. They all tend to look a little flat and generic to my eye and their prices are ridiculous.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can take a look at Real McCoy's New Zealand aka The Few. They do take order online. Other Japanese brands are all off the rack, so you may face the same problem.

Ordy

New in Town
As mentioned earlier in the thread, go Good Wear. Made to measure. That is if price and time are not a factor. I'm guessing price isn't if you're looking at RMC. To me, John's jackets are much nicer than any Japanese repro. They all tend to look a little flat and generic to my eye and their prices are ridiculous.

That shinki horsehide though... :eeek:

devilish

A-List Customer
Good Wear uses a better Shinki HH, without all the character pressed out of it. Specially made for them. They also now, I believe, have access to this new Italian HH that's been causing all the fuss and debate lately about which is the best. So that's another point in their favor. Along with the fact that (and this is something not said often) they are cheaper. Oh and more accurate. Ok enough shilling for today. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, the idea that shinki is uniformly glorious seems to be one of those received wisdoms that doesn't stand up to too close scrutiny.

Ordy

New in Town
Yeah, the idea that shinki is uniformly glorious seems to be one of those received wisdoms that doesn't stand up to too close scrutiny.

It's because I saw one of their jackets in person and was very impressed by the quality.

McCoys_A2_4.jpg

:eeek:

Goodwear looks very nice though. Their website is a little difficult to navigate as someone unfamiliar with all these A-2 models.

Ideally I'd like something in a darker shade of brown with some red-tinted ribbing. Light to mid brown jackets tend to wash out my skin color...

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

One man’s “glorious” is another man’s uninspired and/or undesirable.

Shinki is, like several other competent tanneries, capable of producing “glorious” hides. Conversely, as with most tanneries, Shinki is also capable of producing less glorious hides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112