Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which G-1?

belopsky

One of the Regulars
Eastman G-1 ( https://www.historypreservation.com...sn-g-1-intermediate-flying-jacket-spec-55j14/ ) looks quite good to me in a 42, price seems right too :)

Real McCoy is significantly more expensive and also the 42 seems *very* slim in comparison to the 42 Eastman, and a 44 would be too big in shoulders, sleeves, etc. ( https://standardandstrange.com/prod...mfg-co-mil-j-7823?_pos=2&_sid=3fdce7d48&_ss=r )

Buzz Rickson looks right in a 42 as well, maybe slightly cheaper than the Eastman (depends if I'd get hit with import fees or not.. https://hinoya.shop/en/collections/buzz-rickosns/products/br80145?variant=36559528296601 )
What else?

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I had a Buzz 55J. Lacquer finished I believe. I found the jacket itself nice, but not exceptional. It had cool patches though...
What I mean is, it didn't stand out. And that very well could be because I find the post-war jackets looking increasingly more conventional to me. The M-422s/AN-Js have more jazz-more interesting color shades and such. All personal opinion, with exceptions I'm sure. I'd have a look at Sheeley's Navy repros too.

Also, Eastman's horsehide one is off their ELMC range. They make a standard goatskin one too. Horsehide wasn't used.
If you end up going with BR, remember a size 44 is equivalent to about a men's 41 or so. I'm about 175 now; I'd order a 44 in both Eastman and Buzz for a marginally relaxed fit. Plenty of great lightly used Buzzes on yahoo japan auctions to be found, often for not more than $500 if you can score one.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I briefly owned a G-1 by Eastman and didn't like it very much. Couldn't really put my finger on why. I think it appeared too delicate for a supposedly rugged piece of military outerwear to me. Or maybe it was just me being constantly overly careful with it due to the high price, I don't know.

Anyway, with this in mind, I would probably get an original from ebay which in many cases are in good condition, very affordable compared to repros and being the real deal after all. Either that or if I wanted to buy new, I would probably get an current issue G-1 by whoever makes these. Cockpit? I'd certainly feel much less self-concious in one of these. Maybe because they are purpose-designed work clothes in a way which blends in better with my current style of clothing where as these repros feel more like pieces of art I carry around. Again, maybe just a personal mindset thing, because I have no doubt these repros are just as functional as an original.

belopsky

One of the Regulars
I briefly owned a G-1 by Eastman and didn't like it very much. Couldn't really put my finger on why. I think it appeared too delicate for a supposedly rugged piece of military outerwear to me. Or maybe it was just me being constantly overly careful with it due to the high price, I don't know.

Anyway, with this in mind, I would probably get an original from ebay which in many cases are in good condition, very affordable compared to repros and being the real deal after all. Either that or if I wanted to buy new, I would probably get an current issue G-1 by whoever makes these. Cockpit? I'd certainly feel much less self-concious in one of these. Maybe because they are purpose-designed work clothes in a way which blends in better with my current style of clothing where as these repros feel more like pieces of art I carry around. Again, maybe just a personal mindset thing, because I have no doubt these repros are just as functional as an original.
I get this, if the cost was not an issue, would you feel the same?

As far as buying a used one, not against it, but also want to break it in myself :) (I write this as I'm wearing my RMC A-2 with no babying it..) I spent the $$$, like hell I will take it off!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Real Mccoy and Buzz are both goat, Eastman is horsehide. (different contracts?)
Also, Eastman's horsehide one is off their ELMC range. They make a standard goatskin one too. Horsehide wasn't used.
I have the ELMC horsehide version and it is my favorite G-1 out of the six that I own. I really like the feel of the Eastman horsehide and it shows wear and use much faster then any goatskin jacket would.
I don’t disagree with members who urge you to look at vintage or used G-1s (I own three originals myself) but I will say that most of the available options tend to be from the 1970’s through the present “E” series jackets and the leather used on these jackets is rather plain and boring in my opinion. No to mention the fake fur collar which gets worse with age, not better. If you are able to find an earlier G-1 in your size then I would certainly consider it.
Out of the three options you mentioned I think that the quality will be top notch no matter which one you went with so I would try to seek out the best fit.

belopsky

One of the Regulars
Ah, didn't notice that the ELMC G-1 is the horsehide, not the one that HPA offers from the mainline Eastman, also Standard and Strange didn't have that in a 42 and also reading that it was trimmer/longer, which is not my body type, based on what S&S write.

I liked the RMC a lot but that fit's been modified. I like my A-2 from them however their G-1 seems too trim (42 looks to have a 42.5" chest based on S&S's measurements).

I decided to go with a 42 Eastman G-1 from HPA :).

Edit: this is quickly getting out of hand. Still on my radar (as per my other thread) a J-100. I was quite sure I wanted the RMC Buco J-100 but reading more about them the Eastman once again may be the go for me..

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have the Eastman G-1 original Goat. It is easily the most comfortable flight jacket that I own, the goat skin is very supple and tough. My only complain is of course the Eastman knits, yes, the originals have single layer kits compared to the thicker A-2 ones, but seriously, I can tell you that they don't last.....

I have yet to see any Japanese G-1 in real life, but I can imagine that they will all be slimmed down for quite a bit. Have you looked at other companies' M422s and G-1s? I think Aero and BK are also making some?

draš katalenić

One of the Regulars

Todays supplier for G-1 jackets is Excelled. Cockpit/Avirex was not supplier for G-1 jackets.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Oh, I forgot to mention about the late 70s/80s G-1 with cowhides, I also own one but it feels completely different because of the chucky-ness of the thick hide. I also don't like the synthetic shearing as well. The current issued G-1s still have those hand warmer pockets built-in? Am I correct?

belopsky

One of the Regulars
Ive only looked at the Real Mccoy G-1 and the 44 has a 44" chest, 19.5" shoulder, and 28.25" front length whereas a 42 has a 42.5" chest, 18.75" shoulder and 27.5" front length

Pretty slim IMO.

Eastman (based of HPA measurements) is a better fit in a 42 for me with a 44.5" chest and a 19" shoulder..

Are the G-1 supposed to be trimmer than A-2? My RMC A-2 in size 42 has a 44" chest...or was this simply RMC's choice to slim down the G-1?

Peacoat

Bartender
I too, vote for an original issue G-1. The best ones are the Mil-J-7823C series, or earlier, as they had the mouton collar. The D series was introduced in 1968 and many, but not all, had the fake fur collar instead of the mouton used in all of the earlier jackets. The D series still had the goatskin.

In 1971 or 1972 the E series was introduced. The use of cowhide was allowed, but I believe some of the manufacturers still used goat for a while.

EDIT NOTE: I originally said "In 1971 or 1972 the D series was introduced." I meant to say the "E" series. Now corrected in the original text.

I have a 1962 E series as well as a D series—1991, I think. I like them both, but choose. the 1991 jacket as an everyday wearer because it isn't a collectible.

There are several G-1 experts on this board. @thor is one of them. Perhaps he will check in and give you the benefit of his vast knowledge of the G-1 jacket.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
I agree with @Peacoat, @HoosierDaddy and others who have mentioned the collectibility and historical value of an original G-1 with real mouton fur collar. They can be found in good/very good condition for reasonable prices (especially in the more common medium/large sizes, 40, 42 or 44). Larger sized originals are more rare and fetch higher prices.
The OP mentions opting for an Eastman G-1 in size 42. I’ve owned both the Eastman G-1 and their M-422a. I prefer the Eastman M-422a (just personal preference of the design and the overall historical significance of the WWII jackets).
Eastman makes a really nice jacket.
I own about 25 G-1 and M-422a jackets, reproductions and originals.
Wearing a brand new repro is a worry-free experience but I love the history, look, feel and legacy of an original!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are the G-1 supposed to be trimmer than A-2? My RMC A-2 in size 42 has a 44" chest...or was this simply RMC's choice to slim down the G-1?
The G-1 jacket has a bi-swing back that allows for much greater freedom of movement than the A-2. This combined with the natural flex of goatskin means that you can wear a G-1 in a trimmer fit and it is still quite comfortable. I think you will find that the G-1 is a far better jacket than the A-2 when it comes to moving around, driving a car, reaching up over your head or any of the physical things that we do during our day-to-day lives.

Deacon211

One Too Many
FWIW, ‘90s era Coopers were goat and are a nice, if not gorgeous, jacket. I believe the blue label aftermarket versions (as were sold in the NEX/MCX) also had real mouton but poly knits.

I mention these as they are more recent and thus maybe more common.

Honestly, the Cockpit still makes a decent “modern issue” jacket if you can get past the hype.

Also, I have the ELC G-1 and it does break in and fit very nicely. Those knits though...

Brettafett

One Too Many
A few cents...
Nothing beats a good original, yes. However, from personal experience, I will never buy an original again unless its in 100% condition. I wasted a lot of time and money and stress, refurbing one a while back (cleaning, knits, lining and zipper). Not worth it, sorry.

That said, speak to Dave Sheeley (Maverickson) in US. He is the go-too man as far as USN jackets go. If he doesn't have an original at hand, he can make you one custom. Not cheap, but if you're into details, among the very best USN repros money can buy.

ELC's G-1 is super comfy, but knits are an issue.
Tried on a BR but felt heavy and stiff, I wouldn't want to wear one a lot.
Cockpit's 100 Mission G-1 (or Top Guin heroes if you like patches) is a lovely jacket, not super 'authentic' and a bit pricey, but a great all round jacket.

If you are not in a rush, why not wait and see what Bronson Mfg comes up with at the end of the month... They are releasing their G-1 at the end of October.
I had their B-10 last year which was very good bang for the buck (basically copied off a BR B-10) and I have ordered their latest B-15A release... Good quality stuff, especially for the price.

belopsky

One of the Regulars
Ended up getting myself an Eastman G-1 ( https://www.historypreservation.com...sn-g-1-intermediate-flying-jacket-spec-55j14/ )

Bummer about this stitch but I'll try to forget about it..
4zFBoeU.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality photos
ICEPiZG.jpg

L8zA5Dn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff