Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Golden Age Actors/Actresses Can You Watch In Whatever Movie They Are In?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
We often write about our favorite (or least favorite) actors and actresses, but I was thinking to myself the other day, "What actor or actress will I watch in whatever film, even a bad film?" I mulled over it a couple of days, and came up with only two actors so far. So let me start:

#1: BELA LUGOSI- I will absolutely watch anything that the King of Horror is in. I've forced myself to sit through Murder By Television, The Death Kiss (which was actually interesting, historically-speaking), Scared to Death, and even Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire. I've, of course, seen all of his Poverty Row movies, but those are actually always entertaining...It's been said that no matter how ridiculous the role, Bela gave it his all; heck, some of his films relied almost exclusively on his presence. As much as I like Karloff, Zucco, Cheney, Carradine, and Atwill, Bela leaves them in the dust...

#2:Tex Ritter- For whatever reason(s), I can watch any cowboy/western movie that Tex is in. Perhaps it's his very relaxed personality, or his Code-of-the-Cowboy morality, but Tex is tops in my books. And go White Flash!

Others that I'll watch in almost anything are Errol Flynn, Dana Andrews, Robert Cummings, Franchot Tone, Robert Montgomery, Raymond Burr, and John Payne (and almost anything with Barbara Stanwyck made in the '40s).

So who will you watch no matter what film they are in??

St. Louis

Practically Family
(For some reason the quotation thing isn't working -- this is from widebrim's post) "Others that I'll watch in almost anything are Errol Flynn, Dana Andrews, Robert Cummings, Franchot Tone, Robert Montgomery, Raymond Burr, and John Payne (and almost anything with Barbara Stanwyck made in the '40s)."

I would agree with most of those! My top golden era actresses (and no, I won't call them actors) are Hedy Lamarr, Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Margaret O'Brien (the kid in my avatar), and Gene Tierney. For actors, I'd add Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Cary Grant (in his darker movies), and Melvyn Douglas to Widebrim's list.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
William Powell, Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. Are tops on my list. Maybe Alan Ladd and Van Heflin. As much as I love Cary Grant I can't sit through all of his movies.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My faves, Susan Hayward and Claudette Colbert.
Male, I would rob ably watch anything with James Cagney or Steve McQueen, even their rubbishy films.
J

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Women:
Barbara Stanwyck, Kay Francis, Claudette Colbert, Ann Harding, Margaret Sullavan, Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, Jean Arthur, Thelma Todd, Audrey Totter, Carole Lombard, Roz Russell, Gloria Stuart, Ruth Chatterton, Clara Bow, Mary Pickford

Men:
Humphrey Bogart, William Powell, Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Lee Tracy, Melvyn Douglas, Richard Widmark, Herbert Marshall

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Mabel Normand, Geraldine Farrar, Winnie Lightener, Janet Gaynor, Edna Purvience, Pearl White, Bessie Love, Anita Page, Maria Ouspenskaya, Marie Dressler and Eugenie Bessereron the distaff side.

Actors would include Warner Baxter, "Bronco Billy" Anderson, Billy Haines, George O'Brien, Sessuie Hayakawa, Dick Powell, Warner Oland, Ned Sparks, Guy Kibbee, Jean Hersolt and Cliff Edwards are among the actors whose work I'd never miss.

Long list, but I suppose I'm not all that discerning, besides which the pictures featuring these stars don't turn up as often as I'd like.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
All of the above plus Carole Lombarde and Jean Harlow. Has Spencer Tracy been mentioned?
Ah! E. E. Clive! And Charles Laughton! C. Aubrey Smith and/or Victor McLagen! David Niven. Glynis Johns. Danny Kaye. Buster Keaton, Chaplin and Harold Lloyd.

tridentine

Suspended
Irene Dunne, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Ward Bond, Loretta Young, Fred Astaire. and Jack Haley.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner