Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which hat for a Noir Movie ?

To me, (IMHO) it seems this has all been stricken with analysis paralysis. The hats of the period were well-documented in photos an movies. To maintain the stylistic integrity of the era, a fuller crown, wider, finished(?) brim felt fedora is the ticket. Since you aren't likely to find ones made in current factory production (they're all too tapered) and you may need this hat to be replaceable for filming, (in the event of catastrophe) a rabbit felt custom (the most cost effective choice) is the best way to go. Isn't that how the Hollywood folks do it? Just MHO...

Camille DeLarge

New in Town
This hat

indiana-jones-fedora-hat-herbert-johnson-2.jpg

That one will work until it gets wet and shrinks, as warned on the vendor website. Again, for about the same, or a maybe a few more franks you can buy a custom exactly as you need. Moreover, the guidance you will receive from a knowledgeable hatter might be helpful in defining the style, period integrity.

I have had good experience here:
http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That one will work until it gets wet and shrinks, as warned on the vendor website. Again, for about the same, or a maybe a few more franks you can buy a custom exactly as you need. Moreover, the guidance you will receive from a knowledgeable hatter might be helpful in defining the style, period integrity.

+1 - I also wonder if the chosen hat is for a "Film Noir" or an "Indiana Jones Movie". For an Indy-movie the hat would be great ... in another color. To make it look "Noir" it must be reshaped - unless the actor is supposed to look very old fashioned and/or outdated in the days of the plot.

I find it very wise to ask for advice a place like this, but somehow it seems you're a little reluctant to follow the advice you get. That I don't find quite as wise :)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

+2.

Camille DeLarge

New in Town
+1 - I also wonder if the chosen hat is for a "Film Noir" or an "Indiana Jones Movie". For an Indy-movie the hat would be great ... in another color. To make it look "Noir" it must be reshaped - unless the actor is supposed to look very old fashioned and/or outdated in the days of the plot.

I find it very wise to ask for advice a place like this, but somehow it seems you're a little reluctant to follow the advice you get. That I don't find quite as wise :)

I am not reluctant, it's just that I did not know anything, and that is money to put in :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot